There's Too Much Green To Feel Blue

Fragil

Sam awoke early and dressed in blue jeans, a white spaghetti strap shirt and a baggy yellow jacket. At eight a.m. sharp, the movies came to pack up her things. She set aside a dress that she would be wearing later with her black flats on a hanger and hung it on her door. She sat for a while watching the movers pack her things but she found that she couldn't be in the room. She couldn't bear to watch them pack up her things and she couldn't wear her sad blanket because it was being packed so she decided to say good-bye to William. Just seeing her things in boxes made her see the reality of the situation. It shook her to the very bone to think that she would never see her handsome Peter and the adorable Lily. At the verge of tears, she sadly shuffled to William's door.
She lightly knocked on the door. To her surprise, William answered the door quickly and, to her even greater surprise, he was fully clothed. He wasn't in his usual dirty robe, he wore jeans a tight v-neck black shirt.
"You're not leaving already, are you?" William asked.
"Yes." Sam said miserably as she hung her head.
"Aw, babe." William embraced her, "It's not too late."
"To say good-bye?" Sam asked.
"No, to screw around with me." William grinned.
"I am ready to jump off the Golden Gate Bridge right now." Sam said placing a hand on her head, "I am so upset."
"Let me take your mind off this for a few minutes, er, hours." William said. He gestured to his left to an open door, "Do you want to go into my bedroom?"
"Oh, all right." Sam said giving up, "What's the point? The whole world's gone to hell, I should follow it."
"Oh, my God, you're going with this?" William asked dumbfounded, "Oh, my God, this is awesome!" he grabbed her hand and began to lead her into his room but he suddenly stopped, "Hold on, I think I might cry." he placed a hand to his head.
She was numb. She couldn't feel William gripping her hand, she couldn't feel anything. All she could do was think about Peter. She had been so determined to leave but now that the day was here, she didn't feel like she could go through with it. Yes she had been away from him all week, but in the back of her head she always knew she could go see him if she wanted. By leaving, she would never see him even if she felt like it.
"Sorry, this is an emotional moment." William said before he threw himself at Sam and pressed his lips hard against hers.
Sam hardly knew what was going on. It was like an out of body experience. She didn't feel anything as William held her tight and pulled her into his bedroom. She didn't even know if her lips were moving with William's. She let William push her into his bedroom and lay her on his neatly made bed.
He climbed gently on top of her and looked at her cradled in his arms.
"Don't worry, I'll take care of you. Just hold still and I'll have you screaming in no time." he grinned, "I might scream a little too, I'm just so happy. Let's start." he began to unzip her jacket but then paused and grinned widely again, "I knew I'd get you."
It was those words that made Sam snap out of her funk. Her eyes suddenly went wide as she saw where she was and where William was. She would have nightmares to come.
"Oh, my God, I can't do this." Sam said slightly dazed as she placed her hands on William's chest.
William's smile was completely wiped from his mouth, "What?" he asked in a tone that was almost robotic.
"What am I doing? Where am I? I have to go." Sam said trying to sit up.
"No," William said panickly, "No, no, no!"
"Oh, my God, I must leave." Sam said.
She sat up as a horrified William sat up as well.
"No, no, you're miserable!" William cried, "You need a distraction!"
"You're right, I do." Sam said lost in thought, "I have to say good-bye to Brendon." She slid off the bed.
"Brendon?!" William cried out, standing up as she went to the bedroom door, "Who is he and why does he get to have all the fun?"
Sam turned and embraced him, "Good bye, I know I'll see you soon." she gave him a swift kiss on the lips and ran away.
"I hate you, Sam!" He called after her, "You'll live to regret this!"
Before anything, Sam stepped into her apartment to check on the movers, "How's it going?" she asked taking only step into the apartment.
"We're done with most of it, it's your clothes that are taking a while." one of the three men in black blazers said.
These were men that worked in her father's mansion. She would've normally done all the packing herself but she was way too depressed to do it herself. So she called them the night before to come over with her old personal driver to take her back home. Gabe was going by airplane. Although she got motion sickness, she wanted to drive home. She had much to think about it.
"When you're done, take it all and put it in the trunk of the limo. I'm leaving to see a friend. Call me when you're done and I'll give you directions." Sam said. She turned, grabbed her dress with the hanger and left to change in her room.
In minutes, she was climbing down the steps that lead into the lobby. Robert watched her climb down. She was dressed in a short purple dress made of expensive yarn. The material made that dress a tiny bit transparent.
"Sam, are you leaving already?" Robert asked fearfully.
"Aw, yes, how did you find out? I didn't want anyone to know." Sam said sweetly.
Robert placed his hands on her arms, "Sam, you can't leave, I love you!"
"Oh, aren't you nice?" Sam said placing a hand on his shoulder, "But I need to go home."
"You never went to lunch with me!" Robert accused, "You promised me but you didn't."
"Well, I'll come visit and you have my phone number, don't you?" Sam said gently.
"Yes!" Robert said a little over zealously.
"Wait, how do you have it, I never gave it to you--" Sam began but Robert grabbed her a little roughly and planted a kiss on her lips.
He pulled away quickly, "I'm going to miss you." he said, his blue eyes filled with sadness, "And I love you."
Sam tussled his hair, "I'll see you, Robert." she turned and walked away.
"Well, at least somebody told me they loved me." she muttered as she placed her fingers on her lips.
She went outside and waved for a cab. Not even two mili-seconds went by before a cab screeched to a stop right in front of her. She recognized the cab driver as the one who gave her the ride from her class the other day. Baffled, she climbed in.
"Where to?" he asked casually.
"The hospital. Are you following me?" she asked as they began to drive.
"What?" he snorted, "No...are you leaving today? You can't leave. You're the nicest girl I've ever had in this stupid cab--"
Sam pressed herself tighter against the seat, "Oh, my God. Just say it. You're a government agent assigned to bring me to a top secret government facility where I will be told that I have a rare genetic syndrome in where am I invincible to death."
Joe paused for a minute, "No."
"Okay, then just take me to the hospital." Sam said quickly returning to her glum state.
She tipped Joe heavily when she arrived and headed straight into the building. She was in luck, Brendon was next to the lobbyist desk scribbling on his clipboard.
Brendon turned and spotted Sam. His face showed surprise.
"Sam, hey."he said slightly puzzled. He gave her a one-armed hug as she walked up to him, "What are you doing here?"
"Um," Sam hesitated, "I came to say good bye."
"What?" Brendon said even more puzzled.
"Yeah, um, I'm moving up state. My friend is in trouble and I'm moving to help him." Sam explained.
He was shocked, "Does Peter know--?"
"Peter knows plenty." Sam said holding a hand up.
"And he didn't--Ugh, that crazy man. Will you come visit?"
"Yeah and you can still text me." Sam said.
"I'll miss you." Brendon embraced her again.
"Me too, I'm sad we didn't get to hang out more." Sam said smiling up at him.
Her cell phone suddenly went off. It was her workers. She gave them quick directions, "Meet me at the end of the street." she hung up.
"Oh, I've got to go, Brendon."
"Okay." Brendon placed his hands on her shoulders and gave her the swiftest kiss on the lips.
He quickly pulled away and blushed, "Sorry, that was rude."
"Aren't you cute?" Sam pinched his cheek, "It's okay, I know you didn't enjoy it."
Brendon frowned at the comment.
"Bye, cute nurse." Sam said as she walked off.
She didn't see Brendon whip out his phone and dial Peter.
Sam walked away, "Why is everyone kissing me today?" she wondered out loud. She pulled out her phone and called her workers.
Peter stood in his bathroom and admired himself. The Dior suit was even better when he wore it. He never knew he could look this clean and distinguished. The suit was amazing. But he couldn't really take much of it in. He was wondering if Sam was still in the building. Would she have left early to avoid him? Did she leave without saying good bye? Well, he supposed the good byes happened a few days ago. He could hardly even think about the trial at ten. Sam was dominating his thoughts, as usual.
He sighed, straightened his fine jacket and headed to the living room where the tv was on. He wasn't really watching it, especially since it was a music video show. It reminded him forcibly of Sam. Suddenly his cell phone rang. It was Brendon.
"Brendon?" Peter began.
"Don't talk, listen." Brendons said. He told Peter where Sam was and where she was headed, "This is it. After this, she's gone." Brendon said before he hung up.
Peter hung up and gripped the phone tightly in his hand. He thought about what Brendon said. Was it really not too late? Was there anything he could do? Then a song came on the tv. He turned to watch the video. This was one of Sam's favorite songs. It was "1, 2, 3, 4" by The Plain White T's. He listened to the soft tune and paid attention to the words. He smiled at the words he related to. Then the chorus came on. Everything in his body went still as the words suddenly hit him. As he processed the words, something in his head clicked.
What was he doing just standing here? Everything and everyone had been telling him what to do this whole time, Sam herself had been as well. Now this song was. It's true, if there was only one thing he had to say to Sam, it was those three words. If there was only thing to do to keep her here it was to tell her those three words. Simple as that. Why hadn't he seen how simple it was before? If he wanted to keep Sam and the only way to do that was to say he loved her, then he should do that. He wouldn't be lying.
He stuffed the phone in his pocket and ran out the door. Dior suit be damned, he was going to go through hell and back to do this no matter what the cost. He ran full speed and burst out to the bright daylight. He ran to the curb and nearly got run over by Joe in the taxi.
"Joe!" Peter cried. He quickly pulled open the back door and threw himself inside, "To the hospital!"
"Is she still here?" Joe asked.
"Not for long if we don't get there, like, now!" Peter said.
"We'll be there in two minutes." Joe said throwing the car into gear.
For once, Peter was not afraid of the crazy drivers in this city. They drove full speed down a few streets. The hospital really wasn't that far away and in the speed Joe was driving, you would've thought it was just down the street. Joe delivered on his promise.
When they pulled up to the front of the hospital, the car hadn't come to a full halt when Peter was hurtling himself out of it.
"Go, Wentz, go get 'em!" Joe yelled after him.
Peter ran full force into the hospital door and ran inside He paused, looked around and spotted Brendon next to the lobbyist's desk. He ran up to him.
Brendon turned, "Wow, nice suit." he said completely blown away.
"Where's Sam?!" he cried out.
"She walked out a few minutes ago." Brendon said.
Peter whirled around and ran out of the hospital. He stood still for a second, turned to his right and searched the crowd. There she was, dressed in purple, at the end of the street walking toward a shiny black limo. Fear stricken, he ran toward her as fast as he could. This was it, the life or death moment. He couldn't let her get into that limo. He dodged women and men as the walked past him. This was no time to be playing it safe. He pumped his legs harder. He could see her getting closer and closer to the limo. Damn this girl walked fast. He was getting closer to her now, but she was still dangerously close to the car.
'Stop, Sam!' he mentally pleaded, 'Stop.'
She reached the limo. The moment her fingers touched the door handle, he began to yell.
"Sam! Sam!" he cried out. He didn't care who heard, as long as she heard it too, "Sam!"
She opened the door and was about to step in, but, luckily, Pete was already closer, "Sam!"
She spun around and turned to look at him. He quickly closed the gap between them. He understood now. When she said he loved him, it was music to his ears. She just wanted to hear the same music, it had always been about music.
He ran up to her, "I love you." When he said it, Peter felt as if here were telling the truth after two years and it felt great.
"What?" Sam asked surprised.
"I love you." he repeated. Now he couldn't stop, "I love the way you dress. I love the way you talk. I love the way your hair never seems to have anything wrong with it. I love the weird words that you use. I love how angry you get about Paris or Ashlee and I love it when you smile and your nose does that cute wrinkle. And I love the crazy colors on the tips of your curls." he took a quick breath, "I love you, Sam."
Sam stared up at him.
"And I'm so sorry for putting you through this. I was afraid but I'm even more afraid of losing you. I'm kind of cursed when it comes to saying I love you."
"Me, too." Sam said, "Maybe we can break each other's curse."
That did it, he was convinced, Sam could read his minds.
"You're an idiot." she said matter-of-factly.
Peter nodded and Sam rushed into his arms. Peter held her tight. Peter was happy but he also felt that they shouldn't be here in the first place.
"We're both so stupid!" Pete cried.
"Oh, you a little more than me." Sam said.
"Right, because I'm a boy, yeah." Peter said placing his hand on her back. They gripped each other tightly.
Sam placed her hands on his chest, "Peter, you don't have to tell me how you love to see me smile or how my sense of fashion makes you feel lucky or how my language makes you feel special, I already know. You don't have to say a word." she placed her forehead against his, "I hope you never say a word."
"I love you...and I mean it." Peter said.
"Oh, I know, I just wanted to know if you knew." Sam smiled.
He missed that smile. He had been dying to do this all week, he leaned in close and kissed her. They kissed just briefly before he pulled away and looked at her. He was so happy, he could cry. Even Sam's eyes seemed a little overbright.
Now he couldn't stop saying it, "I love you. I love you. I love you."
"Oh, Peter." Sam said happily, "You didn't have to say that!" she said as she wrapped her arms around his neck.
Peter rolled his eyes as he hugged her back and rested his chin on her shoulder. He gave her another quick kiss before Sam stepped back to admire him.
"Wow, that is one snazzy suit!" she said.
Peter suddenly felt as if someone had smacked him on the forehead.
"The trial!" he cried, "The trial! My daughter!""
"Whoa, whoa, calm down, at what time?" Sam said holdin her hands up.
"At ten." Peter said.
Sam checked her phone, "We have twenty minutes. Come on, I'll give you a ride." she motioned into the car.
"Are you coming with me?" Pete asked.
"Do you want me to?" Sam asked.
"Yes." Peter answered quickly. Yep, still under her spell. "You're never leaving my side."
"I never left." Sam said. She smiled up at him, "Well, get in here my Peter Pan! We better go now because I have to find an outfit."
"You're going shopping?" Peter asked, "Now?"
"I can't go to court in this." she touched her dress, "Come on."
They climbed into the back of the limo. Sam gave the driver directions. Within seconds, Pete had his lips all over her.
"Wait a minute," he pulled away but left him arm around her, "Tell me how you're rich again. Are you in the oil business or something."
"No, that's my dad. My mom owns banks." Sam said.
"Your mom owns banks?" Peter asked.
"Yeah, nationwide....worldwide, actually. She also has her own clothing line. And I own half of each share. So I'm in oil and banking."
"You own half their companies?" Peter asked astounded, "How?"
"Well, I'm an only child. I got half the shares as a birthday present." Sam explained.
"Wow, you must've been stoked." Peter said.
"I was six." Sam said.
In five minutes, they reached a small boutique with glass doors and walls. Everything inside the boutique was white : the walls, the floors, the headless mannequins, everything. The store was called Light. Sam jumped out of the car, dragging Peter behind her. They took one step into the store when Sam paused and gasped.
"That's the one!" Sam pointed to a mannequin with a small white dress. She turned to Pete and placed her hands in his chest, "I'll be right back." She rushed to the mannequin, picked it up and ran to the dressing rooms, "I don't like cheaters but if I ever got married, and I had an affair, it would be with this dress!"
Sam tried the dress quickly. It was a dress with puffy sleeves that hugged her torso nicely. When the dress reached her hips, it puffed out like a parachute. The dress had buttons down the front. Sam left enough of the top buttons undone and then rushed out. She ripped out the tag, ran around, found small white flats and ran to the clerk. She quickly payed for the ensemble, grabbed Peter's hand and pulled him back outside.
"I've never seen that kind of store." Peter said as she pulled him along, "And that dress, what is it made out of?" he touched the skirt of the dress. He had never felt anything so soft.
"I wouldn't recommend that store, especially in this economy." Sam said before pulling him back into the car.