Sequel: We've Lost Control
Status: Complete.

Your Love Will Be Safe With Me

I Think I'm Gonna Stick Around for a While

Malinda and Hanley were hungover at breakfast. They went out the night before to some trendy club and drank way too many cocktails. I was surprised they were even up when we got up. They both looked tired and like they went through hell and back.

“You know, you can be in Vegas and not go out and get drunk.” Halvo said as we sat at the buffet. Champagne buffet to be exact.

Hanley lifted her middle finger at him then took a sip of her mimosa and we laughed.

“But what’s the fun in that?” Malinda asked after she finished her glass of champagne and orange juice.

“You can actually remember the trip?” I suggested.

She shook her head, “Nah, not as fun.”

I rolled my eyes. “I don’t see why people like to get drunk.” I muttered.

“I don’t either.” Nick said.

I raised an eyebrow at him, “Oh really?” I asked.

“Yeah. I don’t like to drink that often.”

“Me either, but it just shocks me that you don’t.”

His brow furrowed, “Why?”

“Because you tour and are a rockstar. Pretty sure that includes drinking.”

He scoffed, “Way to stereotype, Sawyer.” He said bitterly. “I’m not a rockstar. I’m in a band that just happens to have a fan base and is signed to a label. And just because I tour doesn’t mean I get drunk every night.” He said angrily.

I raised my hands up in defense, “I didn’t say you get drunk every night. I said that it was shocking that you didn’t drink.”

He shook his head, “Whatever.” I rolled my eyes as I turned my body to face forward. Everyone was staring at us.

“Well then.” Hanley said then took a drink of her alcoholic beverage.

“I’m going to get more food. Anyone want to come with me?” I asked.

“I’ll go.” Malinda said as she got up. “Order me another drink.” She said to Hanley in which she nodded and waved her off.

Malinda and I walked over to the far left side of the buffet to get hot food. We picked up a plate and stood there in silence for what seemed like forever, but in reality was only really about ten seconds.

“So that was interesting.” She said as she tapped her perfectly manicured fingernails against her ceramic plate.

“Yeah.” I sighed. “I didn’t mean to offend him.” I said glumly.

“Then tell him that.” She said as she grabbed a waffle with the silver tongs.

“I will, but he took it way out of proportion.”

She nodded, “I agree, but still.” I sighed again then asked the cook for a pancake. “So how was your birthday? Did you have fun?” She asked as we waited for my pancake.

I thought back to my whirlwind of a day the day before then nodded. “It was good except for the whole male stripper thing.”

She chuckled, “You loved it.” I cringed at the memory. “Mom and James are coming out next weekend, right?” She asked as the cook placed the pancake on my plate.

I nodded, “Yup.”

“Where are they staying?”

We began to walk the rest of the buffet in search of something else to eat. I wasn’t as hungry as I should have been, but I continued to look for anything that caught my eye.

I shrugged, “Where do they always stay? Hampton Inn off the freeway by Harkins.”

She nodded, “I still think it’s stupid that they moved out there.”

“Yeah, I know, but I’m glad at the same time because I wouldn’t be living in LA.” and I wouldn’t have met Nick.

“It still blows my mind that they let you.”

I shrugged, “I‘m responsible enough.” I scooped a spoonful of eggs and hash browns onto my plate.

She snorted, “I guess.” She said and I shot her a look.

We finished up filling our plates and walked back to the table. I sat back down next to Nick, who gave me an apologetic smile once I got situated. He gently squeezed my hand to tell me he was sorry. I simply kissed him on the cheek then began to slowly eat my food. All was forgiven.
---
“Malinda, slow down.” I said to my sister as she took a drink from her fifth Coors Light.

She downed mimosas at the champagne brunch for two hours then sat at the bar downing glasses of beer. I would never understand the fun in getting drunk. Hanley was sitting on the other side of her sipping her Screwdriver slowly, so she wouldn’t get drunk as fast. She was only a little tipsy. The guys were upstairs on a conference call with their producer and label working out last minute details about the new album.

“Sawyer, you don’t understand!” She said looking up at me with sad eyes. “Danny made me like this.”

I rolled my eyes at what she was saying, “Malinda, you don’t know what you’re saying. Danny is a good guy. You’re just drunk.”

“I am not drunk! Danny is just a no good fucking asshole!” She yelled then took another gulp of her drink. Hanley was giggling stupidly at us. I guess those mimosas finally caught up to her.

“Malinda, come on, put down-” I said trying to take the glass away from her, but she slammed it down on the bar. “Okay.” I put my hands up in defense.

“Did you know he hasn’t called me once since I’ve been out here?!”

I sighed tiredly, “You talked to him last night.“

“Yeah! Because I called him!” She slurred.

My phone vibrated in my pocket and I pulled it out quickly, sighing in relief when I saw Nick’s name flashing across the screen. “Save me.” I said helplessly once I answered.

He laughed, “What’s going on?” He asked.

“Malinda is too drunk to function right now and Hanley is on her way there.-”

“Sawyer! Don’t get married!” Malinda cut me off. I stared at her blankly. Was she really doing this right now? In front of so many people? “Don’t get married! Is that Nick? Nick! Don’t get married!” She yelled. People started to stare at her as she waved her glass in the air and yelled “don’t get married” over and over.

I sighed in frustration, “It’s a little too late for that.” I mumbled.

Nick laughed, “Where are you, we’ll come save you.”

“The bar in the middle of the casino. Please hurry.” I whined.
---
Malinda was crying when Nick, Halvo, and Justin arrived.

“I just want to be happy.” She looked at me with tears streaming down her face.

“Malinda, you are happy.” I reassured her.

She shook her head as Nick helped her up from the bar stool. “I’m not happy. I have a deadbeat of a husband and two kids that never listen.” Nick began walking her over to the elevator with Justin, Hanley, and Halvo following close behind.

I looked at my sister with sympathy. “Malinda, you probably won’t even remember this in the morning… or later, seeing as it’s three PM.”

She cried still, “Sawyer, I love you. You’re so much better than Danny. I want a divorce.”

I sighed as we got on the elevator. Nick looked over at me and I just shook my head. “No you don’t, Malinda, you love Danny. Remember when you got married here? Remember how happy that was? How happy you were?”

She sniffed, “It was all lies! Don’t get married! Never get married!” She started yelling again.

Nick and I exchanged looks.

“We’ll talk it over in the morning.” I finally said.

She slumped over and continued to cry. The rest of the ride was quiet except for Malinda’s sobs.

Nick dropped her off at her and Hanley’s room where she immediately curled up in a ball on the floor by the air conditioner and cried until she fell asleep. Nick gently took my hand in his as we walked back to our room. I felt sad for my sister. I knew she really didn’t mean any of those things since she said them almost every time she was drunk, but it still made me sad.

I felt my eyes begin to water and soon enough, tears were rolling down my cheeks. I sniffed and wiped them away with the sleeve of my hoodie. He stopped and pulled me into a bone crushing hug.

“I’m sorry you had to witness that.” I sniffed again. “My family is so dysfunctional. It probably scared you off. You can run if you want to.”

Nick slowly pushed me away and rested his hands on my shoulders, looking me straight in the eyes. I knew he what he said next would be serious just by the look in his eyes. “Everyone is a little dysfunctional and it didn’t scare me off. I’m not running. You’re stuck with me forever.” He smiled. “Legally.”

I smiled slightly then was pulled into his chest again. “I need to just go and fucking chill out. Too much drama for one afternoon.” I said.

He laughed as he let go of me and placed his arm across my shoulders. “Come on, we can go chill out in our room until dinner.” He said as we resumed walking down the hallway to our room.

As we walked down the hall, I thought to myself how I was surviving without him before he came into my life. It’s still a little early in our relationship to be thinking things like that, but we’d already gotten married. What else is left for us to do?
♠ ♠ ♠
So my sister reacts this way almost every time she's drunk, I am not even kidding. When we went to Vegas last August for my other sister's birthday, she got drunk off of mimosas. When they went back up to the room she was so drunk and she was yelling at her husband and threw barbeque sauce at him but somehow it just ended up getting all over her. THEN She decided to go next door to where my other sister was with her friends and was yelling at this couple "Don't get married! DO NOT GET MARRIED!"
On a different occasion, when they were in Hollywood he drank her shot and they were seriously on the verge of divorce. Another time, he couldn't find any of the money he pulled out of the bank (which was $80) and they were on the verge of divorce again. We think she's an alcoholic.

Title credit: Dead Leaves and the Dirty Ground by The White Stripes