On the Edge of Eternity

Logical Explanation

I awoke to someone pounding on my door, the early afternoon sun light spilling into the room. I heard Sarah from the ground answering the door, “Hi,” she said to who was ever at the door, “Amber, its Lindsey,” she said to me.

I rolled over to look at my best friend, “ What’s with not answering my texts,” She said before she got a good look at me.

“Lindsey I think I’m dying,” because at this point I thought I was, I felt slightly feverish, weak and my head was killing me, “ And I think I’m having hallucinations.”

“Amber,” she said, “You don’t look so well.”

“Of course,” I said scrambling out of bed, almost falling when I hit the floor, Sarah and Lindsey both made a movement to help steady me, but I held out my hand to signal I was alright, “Lestat,” I said stumbling to my desk, pulling out Interview with the Vampire.

“Lestat is that your secret admirer? How did you find that out? And why wasn’t I informed before this?”

“ Yes, yes, I think that its him, but we’re going to go to the clinic and find out if I’m slightly anemic.”

“Amber I thought that you hated doctors and needles and now you want to go willingly? And Amber why would you be anemic?” Lindsey asked taking the Book out of my hand.

“ I have to prove to myself I’m not nuts, and if I am anemic then we’re going to the Catholic church up town.”

“Oh, no, “ Lindsey said, “ I ain’t stepping foot in there. You know my feelings for the Catholic Church, they brain washed me as a child! What’s with the book?” I stumbled over to the mirror and tilted my neck to the right, and there it was, two tiny scabbed over holes in my neck, “ Oh shit Amber.”

I looked at Lindsey’s pretty face she stood there stunned with the look that said, ‘If I wasn’t standing here and I didn’t know you I’d think that you were insane or a liar. Sarah too had been watching this interaction between the two of us.

“The vampire Lestat?” She asked.

“You can’t tell anyone about this,” I said truing to her, the look in my eye must have been that of a crazed wild beast.

“I believe in vampires, I am a witch after all,” she said.

“No, no, no this is real that sexy bastard bit me, but no one is going to believe me cause I sound like a raving lunatic.”

“Amber I believe you,” Lindsey said, “You gotta get dressed, and we’ll go to the clinic, and if you need to get holy water, I’ll go with you.”

“But holy water doesn’t affect them, or at least that’s what Louis said in Interview,” Sarah said with a know it all voice.

“Okay I do remember that from the book,” Lindsey said looking at me.

“I know I know, I’m kinda banking on Louis being either mistaken or a liar,” I said as I pulled a pair of jeans and then a tee shirt on. Then wrapping one of the thin and colorful scarves to cover the marks on my neck.

Within the hour we were sitting in the university clinic that provided free health services to students. There was a rather large crowd of sniffling co-eds, wanting something for the common cold.

“If I’m not sick now I will be,” I muttered to Lindsey as I picked up a three month old issue of Cosmo.

“So tell me again what happened?” Lindsey said, this would make the third time we had had this conversation. And so I did I told her everything that had happened the night before, “ So he was sexy?”

“Yes.”

“And he looked like how Louis described him in the book?”

“Yes.”

“So, if you happen to meet Louis tonight give him my number…Wait! Amber, I thought you wanted to be a vampire?”

“ In theory, its fun to talk about, especially with you. ‘Oh if I were a vampire I’d kill Erika and Kelsey, there’d be a James Hall massacre. But in reality this is insanity, and besides I don’t know if he just wants to eat me.”

“Okay I don’t think that he’ll just eat you, I mean, if that was all he wanted with you then why didn’t he just do that when he first saw you, and he obviously didn’t take as much blood from you as he did Louis, the night before he turned him or as much blood as Louis took from Claudia.”

“So do you think that he’ll come back to me and ask me if I want to be a vampire tonight?”

“That seems to be his MO. But he seems to like you buying you all those gifts maybe you can pull a Bella and be his mortal lover,” When she suggested this I burst out laughing, everyone in the waiting room must have thought I was mad.

“They get married, and have a kid,” I said looking sideways at Lindsey, “ And he turns her eventually.”

“Thanks for ruining the books for me.”

“Real vampires can’t have kids,” I said looking at her as if our conversation didn’t sound insane to an outsider.

“Angel and Darla did,” Lindsey said.

“Okay, but that was plotted by the powers that be, so Jasmine could be born on earth. So it can’t happen without intervention. And real vampires don’t sparkle.”

“No but they can go out in sun light.”

“Not according to Louis. But Dracula could go in the sun, I won’t argue there.”

When the nurse called my name, the pair of us stood up and followed her, god I was dreading this, I hate needles. We followed the red haired nurse in purple scrubs to the examination room. She did the usual, blood pressure, which was a little low, my temperature was a little high, and then she told me the doctor would be with me shortly.

There was the two knocks on the door, then in walked a tall and handsome dark haired doctor, “Hello,” he began, he sounded tired and more than a little bored,“ I take it that you need a pregnancy test and your friend is here to hold your hand?”

I did not like his bluntness and tone, although I knew it was something that I would have said, “ Um no, I need you to test me for anemia, and my best friend is here to hold my hand cause I really don’t like needles, and I need the results of the test like 10 minutes ago.”

“That’s a very direct request,” He began.

“Yeah so do it, I’m really not in the mood for you to be pussy footing around with me,” I had never been more serious about anything.

I don’t think that I need to tell you what its like to have your blood drawn , except I was this close to backing out and running screaming from the clinic. Of course I couldn’t watch, it wasn’t that the blood make me nauseous it was the needle in my arm. The thought of it even now makes me nauseous. Again Lindsey proved how true of a friend she was, she too hated needles, but she sat there and held my hand. With a band-aid on my arm, we sat waiting, waiting to find out if I was insane or not. Another set of two knocks on the door and he reappeared, “ I don’t know how you knew it but you are just a little anemic.” My heart and stomach plummeted, I think that I was hoping that I was just crazy. Lindsey and I looked at each other, and took off at the same time, “ Your welcome!” the doctor called after me.
♠ ♠ ♠
REVIEW PLEASE!