Glitter in the air

Stay Alive

Next morning, Ryder went to visit his mother’s grave, on the outskirts of town. He found out that Olive paid for the funeral and the place, and he felt guilty. He couldn’t sleep at all last night, and for a good reason. He had been terrible. But now, both he and Olive were free. No one had to be punished anymore. Ryder set her free, and Olive did the same thing in return. With a bouquet of lilies in his hand, he went to where the guard said, only to discover Olive sitting on the grass, in a long dusty rose dress, barefoot, and talking to his mother.

“I miss you, Eliza. Time seemed to go by so fast when you were around. You stood by me and believed in me when nobody did.” Olive whispered, putting her head on the grass. “ Oh! Did I tell you I gave the last letter away? It was Ryder’s. I hope he read it.”

“I did.” Ryder said solemnly, putting the flowers on the headstone and sitting down, dirtying his suit and his long black coat.

“You came.” Olive whispered stunned and Ryder looked at her for the first time, and nodded his head. “I’m happy you did.” She smiled and he grabbed her hand. She grasped his tighter and looked at their joined hands.

“I’m sorry.” Ryder murmured and Olive nodded her head.

“You know, the weeks I stayed in there, in prison I mean, the child in me died. And I was really fond of her.” Olive got up, breaking the contact between the two, and looked at the man she loved. “I love you. And now that we were murdered, maybe we can start fresh, without hiding and without standards. Just..us.”

”Maybe.. Now that we’ve slaughtered our souls and bled out our eyes, maybe we’ll see better and clearer. Maybe we’ll be happy with just breathing.” He whispered in his muddy suit, breaking a few pieces of grass. “Maybe.”