Glitter in the air

Dream

I don’t know where the rest of the day vanished at, but this job didn’t look as bad as they said. Sure, I was a little bit sweaty and my arms hurt – a lot – as well as my back, but I could see myself doing this for a while. Until I’m able to move to a better place and hopefully land a better job.

One thing I knew was that I didn’t want to go to college. Useless waste of money and time: kids there only see it as a privilege to drink and get high. Like that Asher Roth song: I love college. Yeah.

I took down uniform and walked barefoot to the closet where my clothes lay abandoned. I picked up my dress and sandals and put them on, carefully folding the uniform. Most of the staff left already.

“Good night, Edith. See you tomorrow.” I said and she waved at me, in her nightgown.

I guess that means she lives here.

I approached her and sat in front of her on one of the small chairs.

“Hey, Edith. Does the staff live here?”

“Most of them, yes. Those who don’t have a family or don’t fancy living alone are given a choice to live here. Of course, we don’t live here. We have a small house in the back, each member of the staff being given a room. It’s more than anyone would have done for us. Master Denvers was very gracious.” She said smiling, and eating a small bagel.

“Oh. Well, good night, Edith.” I bid again.

“Sleep tight, Olive.” She bid as well and I made my way out of the kitchen. I remembered the things Edith told me and I got out of the mansion fairly good. It only took me 5 minutes. It was very quiet outside and the chilly air hit me, making me grasp my clothes tighter.

“I better bring some real clothes next time.” I scolded myself and kept on walking. I finally reached the gate and there was the same guardian sleeping soundly. I smiled at that and climbed up the gates, unfortunately tearing my dress in one place. I frowned at that. It was my favorite dress.

And some pants.

I rubbed my arms, trying to keep my temperature high and I walked calmly home. Only good thing about Tower Hills was that it was a secluded place, and with the high police alert, no beggar or thief had the courage to come all the way here and face certain jail time.

I looked up at the sky, and the moon could clearly be seen, full and shining down on everything, almost lighting everything up. My mother always used to say the full moon was a sign of good things to come. I took that to heart and was fast on my block. I took the elevator, wasting half an hour waiting for it, and I soon reached my apartment, with dust in my hair and clothes. I kicked the door open, yet again and I fastly threw off my clothes and jumped into the shower.

Only cold water. Well, you’ll have to do.

I proceeded washing myself with ice cold water and when I got out of it, I started sneezing. And sneezing. And more sneezing. I caught something. I was sure of it.

Great. Tomorrow I’ll be a bag of germs.

I popped two pills and hoped to God they would help me fight away the disease that was lurking somewhere in my body, waiting to explode. I got in my bed and covered myself in the blanket, not bothering about my clothes. I tucked myself better and fell asleep like a brick.

I’m a train wreck.

ImageImageImage

“Apchiu!” I sneezed loudly, just as I got into the mansion. “Apchiu! Apchiu!” I hung my clothes and I quickly changed into my uniform. I was cold all over, so I put on one thick jumper I had bought previously. It was gray and large, but I felt better already.

“Apchiu!” I sneezed again and Edith came out running to me. She felt my forehead and drew her hand back.

“Oh, Olive. You’re burning. You should have called in sick!” She scolded me, offering a hot cup of tea and one pill. I thankfully took them and after I drank the tea, I felt my powers slowly coming back.

“Oh, nonsense! It’s just a small cold.” I said and sneezed again. I picked up the duster and one packet of napkins and prepared myself for the long day to come.

“But, Olive! You look terrible. How much sleep did you have last night?” Edith said, coming in front of me.

“Three hours. I live pretty far from here.” I admitted and walked up the stairs.

“You’re only cleaning Master’s bedroom and bathroom today!” I heard Edith scowl behind me and I nodded my head, not caring if she saw me or not.

I shyly entered Ryder’s bedroom, feeling as though I was intruding. I sat there and watched the room in silence. There was a king sized bed with Egyptian cotton sheets and silk pillows, the mattress was made of black silk and the blanket as well. The head of the bed was made of something that looked like gold, braiding itself beautifully, just like the beds. There were two small nightstands made of black wood that had two small lamps on top of them. On the far corner of the room there was a cushioned seat and the floor was covered in the finest, fluffiest carpet. My feet were melting in it. The walls were pure white, and there were two doors: one black and one white. I opened the black door and there was a walk in closet. The shelves reached so high up, that I had to tilt my head to see all the shoes Ryder had.

On the opposite side, there were suits hanging up: gray, white, black cream and some tuxes as well. He had an impressive collection of shirts and ties. The jeans were in the back, their number high as well. He had only three pairs of trainers and that amazed me.

How does he survive in business suits?
♠ ♠ ♠
"Tell me what you got to break down the walls. You just might need dynamite."
- Demi Lovato

Love love love kiddies!
I can't help but love Olive's average life.

Hope you all can relate in one way or another.
xo, Lynn