One Hundred Little Things

Sparing Emotions

Katie's POV
_____________

After sitting in silence for about two seconds, Andy and Joe got bored and decided to go in search of a good movie, (preferably one in English) thus leaving me alone with Pete yet again.
Just my luck.
Ironically, nearly the second they left we discovered an entire library of DVD's, with a few good ones in English. Pete slid a disc into the player, refusing to tell me which one, and the pushed the two beds together, forcing me to sit next to him for the beds were too heavy for me to move. I rolled my eyes as soon as I saw the menu screen. It was Casablanca. He scooted closer to me and squeezed my hand with a wink.

"See, this is what I'm talking about," I interjected.

"What can I say? It's like moths drawn to a flame," he shrugged.

"Well then I'm putting out the bug zapper because this just can't happen," I replied. Confused, he cocked his head to one side. I let out a deep breath; this wasn't going to be easy.

"Look, after I found out I was sick and I went to Kelsey's place, I felt like I had made the biggest mistake of my rapidly ending and devastatingly short life. I was dying, I am dying, there is nothing she can do about that, and just as we had started to drift apart , I came back, at the wrong time, for the wrong reasons; but I felt like if I didn't tell her, she would never know I was gone. As soon as she pulled out that list, I knew I had to distance myself from every one, especially her; almost… to set her free, let her out into the world. I can't get close to anyone. No one can get close to me. I have to spare emotions."

Pete looked up at me and frowned.

"Well you not doing a very good job," he sighed. I bit my lip. He looked so sad; I felt bed for him. I turned and gave him a peck on the cheek. He smiled and I suddenly felt myself regretting doing so.

"I'm sorry," I muttered. He shook his head.

"No prob, the bug zapper has been placed and hopefully it will work," he stated.

The picture/music sequence replayed on the title screen for the zillionth time and Pete finally pressed play. I clung to his arm and nuzzled my head into his shoulder, yet still no trace of a smile parted his lips. I felt worse and worse with each passing second.

*******************

By the time the movie was over, Andy and Joe had returned, and we all snuggled up on the beds to watch The Nightmare Before Christmas. Andy, Joe, and I quoted every line, sang every song, and laughed at every stupid thing we did through out the film, whereas Pete sat sullen and silent. Whenever I asked if he was alright he replied with a quick "yea, fine" and a big cheesy smile that faded rapidly. Just as Jack was being shot out of the sky, the phone rang and I answered without hesitation. It was Kelsey.

"Hey Kels! How's it going?" I inquired.

"Awesome, we're on our way back now. I'll tell you more when I get there, but listen, I was just wondering if I could… you know… tell them?" she asked with a hint of hesitation.

"Tell them w--" I froze mid-sentence, "Snowball's chance in hell!"

"But Kayeee! They need to know! They're so lost and I really like Patty-cakes and--"

"Enough!" I interrupted, "I-I-I just… I just can't! Okay? Don't you people understand?"

Silence.

"We're pulling up now," she grumbled. Soon, the two were back at the room, happy and smiling widely, rapidly dictating the night's events. The whole thing was insanely charming and I was extremely happy that she found some one before I-- well you know.

Patrick fumbled through the drawers and brought out a bottle of liquor and several glasses.

"A toast! To our last night of adventure and a safe journey home," he bellowed gleefully. Kelsey's eyes flickered. She turned to me and I knew I was in trouble.

"Well, actually-" she began.

"Kelsey! Don't!" I warned.

"Tomorrow Katie and I are flying into Japan, then Australia a few days later. How does that sound?" she offered, ignoring my threat.

"Great!" Patrick grinned.

"Yea, awesome," Pete agreed. Joe and Andy smiled, but said nothing.

"Soooo…Katie…how about it?" Kelsey coaxed in an attempt to make up for deliberately disobeying me.

"Fine," I smirked. Kelsey nodded with a hint o reasonable suspicion. "You guys go, have fun. Me, I'm going home. I can't do this anymore." I roared. I stormed out and slammed the door shut behind me.

I was truly done.