Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 17

Image

The all too familiar bedroom sunlight flooded through the cracks in the blinds, interrupting my peaceful sleep. I slept like a baby after last night. As my body slowly awoke, I could tell I was practically laying on Max. I looked down, careful not to wake him up. The blankets were wrapped around us tightly so that no one would see anything if they opened the door. I sighed in contentment to myself and I tapped my fingers against his chest softly as he slept. Visions of last night ran through my mind like a movie and I could feel my cheeks growing hot. I buried my face under Max's arm and smiled as I could feel my cheeks flushing. I felt like such a high school girl. A silly high school girl that was in love. I peeked up over his chin and saw that he was still sound asleep. I rested my palm against his chest and traced the patterns of his body with my fingertips. He started breathing more evenly and I smiled. I pressed my lips against the side of his neck softly and before I could even realize it his lips were against mine. I gasped a little bit, but I enjoyed it anyhow. I rested my body in his arms and continued kissing him without words. He broke away and smiled at me. He took his fingers and lightly traced the bruises around my face and neck.

"I wish I could make these go away," he whispered so quietly. But I could hear him. I closed my eyes and rested my head back on his chest. "I'm sorry..." he trailed off. I looked up at him in confusion.

"For what?" I demanded.

"For not being there to protect you," he said sternly, like he was mad at himself.

"Max, that was not your fault. I will be so mad at you if you blame this on yourself. It had nothing to do with you at all, so please don't," I said, laying back down a little bit but still looking at him. He sighed and ran his hands over his face. He held me closer to him and I sighed as well, giving up and laying my head back on his bare chest. I could hear his heart beat and I tried to make it out the best I could. He traced his fingertips down the side of my body and over my hip. My skin was so tender and beat up, but somehow he made it feel normal again. He sensed that I relaxed more when he did this, so he used his whole hand this time. He did it so gently that it was unbelievable.

"Hey you guys! I fixed breakfast, come eat!" Jessi said excitedly. The door opening made Max jump, which made his hand press against my hip harder than either of us would have liked. I yelped and winced as the pain shot through my body. I buried my face into his shoulder blade and chewed on my lip until the pain went away. Max immediately took his hands off of me and Jessi for once, didn't say anything about us laying in a bed together, naked. "Come on guys! I never fix breakfast, and I don't want it to go to waste," she urged us on. I pressed my cheek against Max's shoulder tiredly and yawned.

"Alright Jessi," I told her as she closed the door and practically bounced down the stairs. "I wonder what's gotten into her this morning," I wondered out loud as I attempted to get up. "Oh god," I whimpered. My legs felt like they were going to break underneath me.

"What?" Max asked, oblivious to it all.

"Nothing," I said, laughing.

"Ohhhh I get it," he said, giving me a cocky grin.

"No," I said sternly.

"Oh, but yes," he said, winking at me. I laughed at him while I grabbed the pillow and beat him with it until I couldn't breathe anymore. I fell on him, blankets and all. He chuckled and rested his hand on my back while I sat my chin on his shoulder.

"Jessi's going to beat the shit out of us if we don't go down there," I said, itching my nose on his jaw bone. He flinched away and I pressed my face against his chest, laughing harder than I should have. As soon as I gained control back, I asked him

"Did that tickle?!" He just stared at me, obviously afraid to answer that. I giggled at him and decided to finally get up.

"Come on," I said, pulling on his hand to get him up too.

"Yes ma'am," he grunted as he sat up.

Jessi had fixed eggs and bacon, and Bryan was staying as far away from it as he could.

"Bryan, my lame faced friend, why are you not dying of anorexia yet?" I joked with him as I sat down-now fully clothed-in the chair I always sat in across from him. He flipped me off and went back to eating his soymilk and organic cereal casually. I smiled and sniffed the air, and oddly enough so did Max.

"Jessi did you burn the fucking food?!" Max exasperated, pinching his nose.

"Oh my fucking god Max. No, I didn't," she said with annoyance. I giggled, covering my mouth to hide it. Jessi turned around with a frilly looking blue apron on and I busted out laughing, my face turning red and tears forming at the corners of my eyes. "WHAT?!" Jessi shrieked, holding the spatula in her hand.

"Why the hell are you so giggly today, Randi?" She asked, turning back to the food and shaking her head. I coughed and shifted in my seat embarrassingly.

"Her and Max fucked last night," Bryan said quickly, making a bee line out of the room as soon as the words came out of his mouth.

"FUCKING SHIT!" Jessi said as the grease popped up at her.

"HOW DO YOU ALWAYS KNOW?!" I screamed at Bryan from the other room. I hid my face in my hands and Bryan and Max both laughed, obviously amused by my embarrassment. I whined and sighed into my hands.

"That's what you get," Jessi said to me, pointing to me with the spatula and chewing on some bacon.

"Ugh Bryan I'm going to beat your fucking ass when I get done eating," I told him, half joking, half not. Bryan chuckled.

"I will crush you," he told me.

"Jessi can I borrow that hot boiling skillet of bacon grease?" I asked her in a polite voice. Max cackled with laughter and I went to grab it off the stove.

"RANDI!" Jessi squealed. "You're not allowed to hurt my boyfriend," she told me, as I just giggled and sat back down. I smiled while I waited for Jessi to fix me a plate like a mother would.

"Thanks, mom," I smiled up at her as she sat a plate with two bacon strips and 2 eggs in front of me. It had been a while since I had real, warm food. I ate Jessi's food, giving her much praise in return. I knew that if I didn't, she would be offended; not like it wasn't good or enjoyable anyways.