Status: Active

Breathe Easy the Doctors Are About to Arrive

chapter 8

I just sat there and listened to him sniff, snort, gag, and cough. I began to cry after a while. There was no way I could get in the bathroom, and I didn't bother trying. I stayed there because I was scared for him, because I didn't want anything to happen to him. Even though he just treated me like he'd treated me, I still wanted to help him. I knew what drugs could do to you, and I also knew that it wasn't Max talking to me, or getting in my face like that. It was drugged up Max that was doing it. I understood this because I too had had encounters with drugs before. I was no different from him, so I didn't even have the right to act like I was better and "get him in trouble". Not like I wanted to anyway, I just wanted to help him, to make everything better. I stayed calm until I heard him throwing up. I couldn't take it anymore after that. I got up and walked to the door.

"Max, please let me in," I whined as I leaned against the door and let a few tears escape my eyes. Miraculously, I heard the door unlock, and I turned the door knob in relief and opened the door. "Do you have anymore?" I asked him firmly. He turned around and wiped his mouth off. He stared up at me with pleading eyes and I cried harder. "Give it to me.." I told him softly. He just stared at me and sniffled. "Max, give it to me," I said in a more firm manner. He sighed and reached into his pocket, pulling out a plastic bag containing more white powder. I stared at it and I had the urge to throw up. I felt a strange anger toward it, like if it were a person I would hurt it. "Move," I said softly, motioning for him to scoot away from the toilet.

"Randi..don't do that," he pleaded with me, grabbing out for it and grabbing my arm softly. I clenched my jaws and opened the bag, pouring all of its containments into the toilet. He let loose and punched the wall in anger, and I clenched my jaws harder, so hard that I thought they were going to break. I flushed the toilet and I put the lid down, sitting on it. "That cost me a lot of money," he growled, putting his face in his hands.

"Maybe you shouldn't waste your money next time," I said blankly, staring at him. I surveyed his face, and it didn't look at all like my Max. It looked like a totally different person that I didn't know. He looked up at me and I saw something in him then that I didn't notice before....I saw myself, I saw a helpless person. I saw a helpless person that got taken over by something that they didn't even want, or would usually do. I leaned down on my knees and I took his face in my hands. I made him look up at me and I crossed my legs together behind me so I could fit between the gap better. "You said you'd help me..." I trailed off softly, staring into his eyes. "I'll help you too, I swear I'll make everything okay again..." I told him, gritting my teeth and wiping his tears with my thumbs.

"I'm not worth your time," he said, looking up at me hopelessly. "I'm a drug addict, there's nothing you can do about it, I'll always be like this," he said, crying quietly. He reminded me so much of myself that it was pathetic.

"Shut up," I told him, looking into his eyes and pressing my lips against his just like he had done to me the other day. He wrapped his arms around my waist and just kept his lips tightly against mine. Our mouths were attached for a good minute, until I parted my lips and he just took over like he knew what to do. My hands started shaking and he put his hands on mine gently, and leaned onto me more, making me fall back a little bit. He kissed down my chin and across my jaw line to my ear.

"I love you..." he said, his voice cracked with exhaustion. I gasped from all of the feelings and emotions that were brewing inside of me, but I could only say what my heart told me too.

"I love you too..." I said in a soft voice.

"Do you mean that?" he asked, squeezing my body and whispering in my ear.

"Do you?" I stuttered. He nodded slowly and smiled against my lips, kissing me again and making me smile too. I let go of him after we kissed for the last time and I sat on the toilet again. I was shaking with intensity and I couldn't stop smiling at him. "Jessi was right so far..." I trailed off, looking at him and smiling some more. I expected him to ask me about it, but he didn't. "You need to brush your teeth and take a shower," I told him, giggling a little bit and feeling light headed. He blushed, and I laughed at him. I stood up and held out my hand for him to grab it. He grabbed it and that made me smile even more than I already was. I pulled him up and he had a hard time standing and walking. I frowned. "Are you okay?" I asked him, uncertain if I should help him walk down the stairs or not.

"Don't tell Jessi or Bryan about this," he pleaded anxiously.

"I think they're going to know already..." I trailed off, glancing at him carefully.

"We'll just tell them I'm sick," he said, walking out of the bathroom and to the bedroom door quickly and carefully.

I heard the water running down stairs, signaling that he was already in the shower. I knew what I had to do, and I knew I had to do it without wasting any time. I searched the room everywhere. I opened drawers, pushed back dressers, looked under the bed, looked in pockets; everywhere. I didn't find anything. Then I found his phone. I felt bad about getting into his private things, but it was one of the things I had to do in order to help him. I searched through his outgoing and ingoing texts, reading each of them carefully. I found what I was looking for. Lucky me, it had the address of the dealer and everything. I ran down stairs and walked across the living room, finding my phone sitting on the table where I'd left it last night.

"Hi?" Jessi said, looking at me wierd.

"Hi," I said, smiling at her and running back up the stairs. Jessi just shook her head at me. I'd deal with her later. I walked in the room, as I heard the water shut off down stairs. My heart started skipping beats and I knew I didn't have much time. I locked the door just in case and I plopped down on the bed. I opened Max's phone and my phone too. I dialed 911 on mine and waited for someone to pick up. I gave them the address and name of the dealer and everything. When I was satisfied with what they told me I shut both phones. I heard him coming up the stairs I sat my phone on the night stand and put his back where I got it. I unlocked the door and sat on the bed innocently, trying to calm myself. I smiled and took a deep breath, waiting for him to come through the door. He came in and had nothing but a towel wrapped around his waist. I coughed awkwardly and looked around the room as he laughed at me. He let his towel fall and my eyes bugged out. "Yeah because there isn't a girl in the room?!" I shrieked, covering my eyes.

"Oh, stop it. You act like it bothers you," he smirked. I hid my face in my hands, halfly so he wouldn't notice I was giggling like a middle school girl that just saw a naked boy for the first time and halfly so he couldn't see me blushing. "Unless you want me to get dressed in the bathroom," he said sincerely.

"I don't care," I said, shaking my head and laughing while holding my face in my hands. I didn't get it. I had been much closer to a lot more guys like this physically, but when it came to him it gave me all of these forbidden feelings. I peeked and he had boxers on now. I let my hands fall and he laughed at me.

"I could have still been naked you know," he teased. I shrugged and raised an eyebrow at him. "Are those Jessi's pants?" he asked me, making a confused face toward them.

"No, they're mine, I left them over here a long time ago," I told him, looking at him the same way he looked at me.

"Oh..." he said. I could hint jealousy in his voice and I could read the tone of his words. I laughed, because I didn't know what else to do.

"I've never had sex with Bryan," I promised, shaking my head. Even just saying it gave me awkward feelings that I didn't particularly enjoy. Max didn't say anything, he just smiled for no apparent reason and continued dressing himself. I just kept shaking my head and smiling too. When he was fully dressed, the calm atmosphere was gone and I could feel tension again. I glanced over at him and rested my hands in my lap. He just stared at me, trying to know what I was thinking. I crossed my legs and scooted up so I was facing him.

"I'm sorry for getting in your face like that," he said, staring into my eyes and not blinking once.

"I know, I know," I said waving it off like it was nothing. "No, I'm really sorry, you didn't deserve that," he said. He was angry with himself and this had been on his mind since he got in the shower, I could tell.

"It's okay, I forgive you," I told him, smiling up at him. "And I'm sorry for slapping you across the face..." I said, staring down at my nails and picking at them.

"Don't appologise for that," he said, putting his hand underneath my chin and lifting it up so our eyes met. I looked at him like he was crazy and turned his face gently, making sure I didn't leave a mark bigger than the one I saw forming when I did it in the first place. Sure enough, I saw a small bruise on his jaw bone and I felt a horrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I touched it lightly to see if it hurt and he jumped a little bit.

"Ahhh I'm sorry," I told him softly. I would have bet that I felt worse for hitting him than he did for getting in my face. I leaned in and kissed the bruise gently and hugged him, nonetheless.

"You're crazy, I wouldn't feel bad for that at all if I were you," he said, pulling me onto his lap like he always did.

"You make me feel like I'm 5," I told him, laughing and laying my head against him. He laughed too, but didn't say anything.

"You do look like a little girl..." he trailed off, wrinkling his nose. I looked up at him and shot him the wierdest look.

"Excuse me?!" I asked, sliding off of his lap.

"No, no I'm kidding," he said, holding me still.

"And what the hell does that make you, if I look like a little fucking girl?!" I asked him, staring into his eyes and making my forehead crease with the faces I made. He pressed his lips together in a straight line and stopped talking altogether. "Yeah that's what I fucking thought, buddy," I said, poking him in the chest. He chuckled darkly and stared down at me with an evil look on his face. I glanced up at him. "What the shit is that look for?!" I said, furrowing my eyebrows and leaning away from him. He just kept cackling. "I'm leaving, you're a creep," I said, trying to get up off of his lap. He just kept his arms around me so I couldn't move. I wiggled around to try and get free but he wouldn't budge. "Creep," I mumbled, giving up and just falling limp.