‹ Prequel: Prove It

I Guess I Just Don't Get It

Seven. I Love Babies!

I woke the next morning not feeling the least bit tired, completely ready to go. I sprang up out of bed as Maya only rolled over sleepily. "Come on, Maya! It's finally game day! Can you believe it?"
She only grunted in reply, so I shrugged it off and disappeared into the bathroom to brush my teeth and get ready in general before changing into my game shorts and warm up jersey. I knew I would be starting on the bench today, as I'd expected the whole time, but no one ever knows what Coach Vicente del Bosque will think of. I skipped downstairs, but no one was down there yet, so I went back upstairs to pick up Maya before going to the guys' rooms and forcing them up. I found Sergio and Gerard's room with the door propped open by the extra lock on top, so I knocked lightly and waited a second before slowly opening the door. I guess they forgot about the lock being there last night, and slowly shook my head in disappointment. They're going to get killed one day like that.
"Sergio? Gerard?" I whispered before stepping deeper into their room, and seeing the both of them tangled up in their sheets. I laughed and crawled on Sergio's bed. "Sergio, time to get up! We have to be downstairs in ten minutes!" I massaged his shoulders as I spoke, then moved over to Gerard and lightly shook his shoulder. "Geraaaard, wake up."
He only grunted as well and turned his head in the opposite direction.
"Don't make me turn all the lights on and be loud, ya'll. You have ten minutes!"
A few seconds later Sergio rolled over and stretched before turning to me and smiling. "Good morning," he said.
I smiled back and gave him a kiss. "Good morning! Come on, get up, guys! Time to go! I have to find Maya, but I'll be back in five, 'kay? Okay," with that, I turned and disappeared into the hallway, where I met half the team as they headed downstairs with Maya and another physical therapist, Ramiro.
"Everyone's up, except for your two, Camry. What's going on? You're slacking!" Maya joked.
I shrugged and decided to mess with them. "You know. Distractions..."
Her face turned to one of disgust. "With Gerard in there?!" She shrieked, attracting the teammates nearest us to glance over, and some to laugh, knowing my humor better than Maya.
I laughed and turned around when I heard the door to Sergio and Gerard's room open.
"What about Gerard?" Gerard asked in third person.
"She was just wondering about your opinion on my method of waking Sergio up this morning," I raised my eyebrows at him as Sergio laughed and put his arm around my waist.
Gerard scrunched up his face as he realized what I was playing at. "Oh uh, it was interesting to say the least."
Which of course caused Sergio to punch him. In the arm, of course. as he knew exactly what I was doing. Following this display of affection was a particularly awkward moment, which was broken by all of us, except Maya, though she joined along after a bit, laughing hysterically. We couldn't calm down until we were almost to the dining hall, and we received some more weird looks from the rest of the team.
We spent the next hour talking game stuff, though mainly the starting players were addressed. We left for Durban and proceeded to do a light warm up as soon as we arrived. As more and more people started to flood into the stadium, we headed to the locker room, where we all changed into our jerseys, the subs, including me, putting on our substitute bibs, then we sat and listened to Coach Bosque's pre-game speech. Unfortunately, I zoned out, though I hope no one could tell.
I hadn't realized how long we had been in there before the starters were heading to the door connecting to the tunnel and the subs left directly to the bench. Before I followed them I kissed Sergio and wished him luck, and found a seat next to Fernando on the bench, though I knew he was upset to not start.
A few minutes later the already incessant cheering became somehow louder, and those who had Vuvuzelas blew them with even more enthusiasm as the players started to walk out of the tunnel. Those of us on the bench cheered loudly as well as they walked and stopped in front of our bench, holding hands with the kids. That was one of my favorite things about the World Cup; how they included your average, everyday children in the games. I decided Iker's and Xabi's were the cutest of the group.
Most of the stadium stood as the beginning notes of the Spanish National Anthem began, as did the substitutes, and for a moment I was proud that I had managed to memorize the whole thing in time for our first game. I sang alongsoftly as most of the guys belted it out, not too harmoniously, I might add. It was quite painful, actually. Then again, my singing is awful as well.
The first half continued uneventfully for the most part, with Spain maintaining possession most of the time and having far more shots on goal, we just couldn't get one in, which is one of the most annoying things in the world. Halftime was spent with del Bosque's usual, which I actually paid attention to this time, and no one was surprised when there weren't any changes to the lineup, though Fernando was still a little agitated.
We found our seats on the bench again and I worked on yet another bottle of water. "You're not going to be able to move for all the water in your stomach," Jesus Navas commented.
I replaced the top on it and sheepishly dropped it to the ground before returning my attention to the game. I slowly became more and more worried as the Swiss offense came closer and closer to the goal, passing and dribbling up the left side of the field, or Spain's right. Somehow the ball traveled to the middle of the field, Sergio and Iker were caught out, the ball bounced and rebounded off everything, Gerard had fallen to the ground, and then, to my horror, Gelson Fernandes passed it in. I groaned and covered my face, as I'm sure many of the other guys did. I didn't dare to look at del Bosque to see his expression, though he's never really been one to yell a whole lot.
I groaned again as I saw, when Gerard got up holding his head, that he had blood slowly running down the side of his face. I didn't know what happened to him, and neither did Fernando nor Jesus. He made his way over to the side of the field with the trainers walking along beside him, asking him questions. Within a few minutes he was patched up and running back out there, thankfully. Gerard would definitely be a big loss if he had to stay off the rest of the match.
Fernando was happy to hear, in the sixty-first minute, that he was going to go on for Sergio Busquets, shortly followed by Jesus going on for David Silva. And fifteen minutes later, Andres came out for Pedro. The rest of the game included so many painfully close chances I could hardly stand to watch, and unfortunately it ended in a loss, 1-0. I got up and shook hands with the Swiss players afterwards, and thanked the referees, who hadn't done too bad a job. The ride back to the hotel was painfully silent. A few of the players had been asked about their reactions to the outcome, including Iker, Fernando, and then del Bosque, but none of them gave any surprising answers or anything.
When we arrived back, everyone showered and had a couple hours' free time before the team meeting later that night just before dinner. After my shower I returned to Sergio and Gerard's room, and watched the television while Gerard talked to Nuria, his girlfriend, about the game and his injury and such, while I waited for Sergio to get out of the shower. Sometimes I could swear he's such a girl. He takes forever in the shower, longer than me sometimes.
He finally emerged after another few minutes, hair still dripping wet. He almost managed a small smile as he saw me laid down on his bed, and came to sit next to me. I slid over and laid my head on his chest, and neither of us said anything for a while, before he said, "You wanna go for a walk? I don't think I can just sit here much longer."
I agreed and followed him our into the hallway and up the stairs, all the way to the roof. I sat on one of the raised parts of the roof while Sergio went and leaned against the side railing a few feet away. "You played really well today, you know that right?" I asked quietly.
He didn't say anything immediately, choosing instead to wait a few minutes. "We should have won."
I stayed silent for a few minutes too. "I know. It's obvious who the better team is, we just have to prove that in the next few games. It'll all work out in the end, I know it."
"That goal should never have happened."
"Well, no. It was kind of a fluke thing, everyone was out of place, it was hectic. It happens to every team at some point. It's a fact of life. Don't worry about it."
He shook his head slowly. "I don't know what I was thinking, I should have stopped him-"
"Sergio, no! Not again! You always say these things, and they're wrong. I get that they come with the territory, being a defender and all, but you've gotta get over it! No goal is any one person's fault! Think how Iker must feel! It doesn't help him when ya'll blame yourselves like that. It has to get through ten other people, too," I had stood up and hugged him in the middle of my rant, and he didn't say anything in reply, and just hugged me back before kissing the top of my head.
We ended up standing up there for a while longer before heading downstairs to hear enthusiastic congratulations coming from one of the rooms across from Sergio's. I peeked around the open doorway to see what seemed to be almost half the team in Fernando and David Villa's room.
"What's going on, guys?" I asked, stepping in the room.
"Ollala's pregnant!" Fernando couldn't smile wider, and neither could I as I hugged and congratulated him.
"That's fantastic! Congratulations!" Sergio gave him a hug as well.
Talk of the new pregnancy and babies somehow managed to continue to be the topic of conversation, at least up until we left. As Sergio and I walked back to his and Gerard's room I said, "How adorable! A baby! I can't wait to see her! Oh, what if the baby's a boy? No, I think it'll be a girl. Definitely. What do you think they're gonna name her? Oh, this is so exciting! She's-"
"Camry! Breathe!" Sergio laughed.
I clamped a hand over my mouth, knowing I was blushing deeply. "Sorry. I just love babies!"
"We can tell," Gerard added.
The rest of the night babies were talked about, as well as predictions for the rest of the tournament. I grew more and more nervous as the night went on, though. I didn't know if it was just me, but I thought Sergio had grown quieter as time passed.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really am in the soccer mood lately, aren't I? Gracious. Comments are uber cool beans!
And I know I'm off with the timing, cause Ollala had their first baby in '09, but I'm just making it work with the story! Though, I hear she's pregnant again.....cute cute!