Breaking The Silence

Chapter Ten

It was now certain for sure that Carmella was avoiding Braelyn at all cost. When Braelyn decided to call her, even know she wouldn’t be speaking, Carmella cut the call short, and it seemed as though Carmella was making her daily visits to the church as quiet and short as she could so Braelyn wouldn’t spot her and attempt to start communicating with her again.

Braelyn didn’t blame her though. If she was in the blonde’s position, she wouldn’t be talking to the backstabbing, hypocritical traitor anyway. But Braelyn knew she had to do something to earn her friendship and respect back from Carmella.

So that was why she was here tonight.

Braelyn looked up at the gigantic house before her. She looked down at the piece of paper in her hand, re-reading the address that was given to her from Reverend Jackson when she asked him where the family lived. She pocketed the paper and walked up to the front door, knocking twice before patiently waiting, and wondering how to explain her situation.

“Oh hey, Braelyn,” Nick greeted, surprised to see his friend on his doorstep. “Is something wrong?”

She nodded once.

“Do you wanna go out for a walk?” he offered.

Once again, she nodded. This was much easier than she expected.

Then, Nick turned around, grabbing a sweater and spoke up. “Mom, going out for a walk for a little while,” he yelled. “I’ll be back soon.” He stepped out of his house, closing the door behind him and pulling the gray sweater over his head.

The pair started walking out on the wide driveway and onto the pedestrian path before Nick quietly cleared his throat. “So, what’s up?” he asked conversationally. Which was obvious translation for, what's wrong?

Braelyn smiled and pulled out her well-known notepad and a bold point pen. She began quickly writing as Nick looked over her shoulder, interested in what she had to say, or in a literal sense, write. I need your help, she scribbled down onto the notepad.

“What for?” he asked conversationally.

Braelyn thought for a moment, wondering how she should word or problem. Remember what I told you last time we spoke? she questioned. She knew it wouldn’t be hard for him to remember since it only happened a day ago.

Nick nodded, trying his best to remember the conversation they shared. “We were at the church, and we both couldn’t sleep. And I asked you too many questions so the subject shifted a bit to someone else. Carmella, right?”

Braelyn nodded once, designating that he was on the right track. I told you too much and she managed to figure out that I told you a part of her secret, she explained. What did you say to her?

“I told her we could help her, but then she refused the help I offered,” he said truthfully. “Seriously, what’s wrong with her? You know Youth Leaders aren’t meant to be all suspicious. They’re actually meant to be approachable.”

The brunette thought for a moment, certain to make the right move this time. She didn’t want to make the same mistake as last time with the horrible results that she ended up with. She thought before she wrote. You can’t tell ANYONE, she wrote the last world in capital letters, sprawled across the notepad.

“Promise.”

Carmella needs help, she wrote, underlining the second last word twice. But I can’t tell you why because last time I told you, she figured out that I told you some part of her problem. I just have to make her stop hating me so I can aid her again. So I need your help to get to that point.

Nick considered for a moment, knowing he should level up his end of the deal. Besides even if he helped Braelyn or Carmella out, or whoever’s problem it was, he didn’t know exactly why he was doing it. “If I help you out, you have to promise me that you’ll tell me what is really wrong with Carmella.”

Braelyn nodded indicating the deal between them. She didn’t see why not to agree with the deal, and after all, she had nothing to lose.

The young man smiled, and paused to think for a moment. How could he help his friend out? Then it came to him. “Well, ironically enough, Braelyn, Carmella’s twentieth birthday party is coming up very soon,” he said. “I think I might have a plan that’ll work. Just trust me on this one, okay?”

What is your plan? she wrote, eager to find out what it was.

Nick smiled and clutched the pen out of Braelyn’s hand, along with the notepad, before writing down his plan and showing it to the brunette.

Braelyn read it and smiled, showing her appreciation towards him by pulling him into a hug. She felt him hug back as she rested her head on his shoulder. Oh, how thankful she was to meet him.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm not too sure how I feel about this one. Bah.
The amount of feedback I got from last chapter was amazing. Keep it up guys, I'm loving you guys for it :)