Breaking The Silence

Chapter Sixteen

The moving cartoon drawn image on the television screen played out nicely, as Braelyn fixed her eyes on the classic cartoon show that managed to push a smile onto her face every time one of the characters told a lame joke.

Kevin, Nick and Joe kindly invited her over, telling her that they had something important to tell her. Inevitably, Braelyn came over to their house and waited for them to tell her their news, so now, she was sitting on a luxurious, navy blue coloured couch inside the Jonas’ house, watching The Simpsons.

“I hear that you somehow convinced Carmella to go to rehab?” Nick asked as he sat down next to her on the couch as he balanced a black coloured laptop on his hand.

Braelyn nodded, remembering the deal the two friends had made a few days ago.

“Just to let you know then, according to Reverend Jackson, Carmella arrived at the rehab center a few nights ago,” he informed. “I’m so happy she decided to get some help. Apparently, Carmella managed to make a deal with the head nurse that if she does everything right this week, they’ll let her out for a few hours this weekend, and during those few hours she plans to visit us.”

Braelyn smiled, happy with the outcome and deciding not to tell Nick about the deal they’d made, knowing that there was no point. Braelyn guessed that Carmella probably only planned to visit them during just to see if Braelyn was improving, speech-wise.

“You said your father’s name was James, right?” Nick questioned. “James Summers, nickname, Jimmy?”

Braelyn felt the couch sank a little lower, and nodded her head once before waiting for the young man in front of her to continue as he placed the laptop on his lap.

“Well, surprisingly, there are about one hundred James Summers in the States,” he informed. “Actually, I might be exaggerating, but somewhere around there. Maybe more, maybe less. Point is, we have to break it down – do you know where he currently lives?”

We’re in the east coast, right? Well, I think he lives on the west coast, San Diego, I think.

“Brilliant,” he smiled as he began to rapidly pressed the keys on his keyboard. “We’ll cut the search down to San Diego. Are you sure he lives there?”

Braelyn nodded. She remembered when she’d asked her mother where her father currently lived, a couple months before she was admitted to the hospital. Her mother clearly told her that he lived in San Diego, and hasn’t moved since because he liked the people there very much.

“Well there’s at least five ‘James Summers’ living in San Diego,” he said. “Now we could go by birthday. What year was he born?”

The brunette raised her eyebrow, surprised at the personal files he had access to. Aren’t these meant to be confidential? she wrote.

Nick nodded as he slightly smirked. “Of course they’re meant to be, but don’t worry, I would never use this beyond my rights,” he answered. “But let’s just say Kevin, Joe and I have connections.”

Braelyn shrugged it off and went back answering his question, writing him the year he was born in. The brunette waited nervously she waited for Nick to tell her the outcome. For some reason, the wait felt like the longest in all her life. She was a patient person, but this, for some reason made her impatient and vigilant.

“Oh, Braelyn,” Nick said quietly as he looked at the brunette. He swallowed and paused for a moment, wondering what would be the right way to tell her the news. “There’s something you should know.” He quietly cleared his throat.

She raised her eyebrows, urging him to go on, unaware at how good or horrible the news would be. What is it? she wrote eagerly.

“I managed to find one person in San Diego,” he explained.

Braelyn stared at him, secretly urging him to go on. Why did he have to take his time telling her? Couldn’t he just give her a definite answer? What did you find out? she scribbled quickly onto the paper in front of her.

“Him,” Nick answered. “Braelyn, we found your dad.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Bah. So who saw that coming?
Comment and subscribe please. I'm really enjoying reading your comments on these chapters :)

By the way, bring back mibba awards is happening at the moment. I would love it if this story got nominated :)
Anyway, tell me what you think about this chapter (: