Breaking The Silence

Chapter Seventeen

The engine grumbled loudly as Braelyn quietly sat in the front passenger seat, taking in the disgusting scent from the rented car, as the man in the driver’s seat, Nick, made his way to their wanted destination. The pair took a plane to San Diego, then rented a car from there, and now, they were on their way to visiting Braelyn’s father.

“We’re almost there,” Nick informed, as he drove the vehicle around the corner.

Braelyn looked down at the ripped piece of paper that sat on her lap. On there, was her father’s address, scribbled over it. Braelyn wondered for a moment. Four, it was the number of the house and her favourite number on the day her father asked. Yet, she was somewhat surprised that he remembered that it was her favourite number. Was it a coincidence?

The brunette let out a small breath, trying to think up of something clever to say to her father. What would she say? Her father hadn’t even known she stopped speaking unless her mother told him, but that was unlikely. What would she do when she’d see him again? She was unsure, since the last time she’d seen him he was the one who threw the acid on her.

Braelyn pushed the thoughts aside, deciding to let her instincts decide for her when the time came.

The car pulled up in front of a small, one storey house – enough for one person to live in. She looked around, suddenly feeling nervous. Her hands became clammy, and the more she thought about this, the more she felt anxious.

I’m scared, she wrote, then discreetly wiping her sweaty hands on her jacket.

Nick looked at the brunette besides him. She really was scared – she was telling the truth. He placed his hand over hers and squeezed it gently. “Don’t worry,” he assured. “I’m with you.”

I can’t do this, she revealed. Really, she couldn’t. What if he didn’t like her anymore? What if when she’d see him again she’d hate him for what he did to her?

“Yes, you can,” he supported.

Braelyn shook her head in disagreement, then looked down. She realized that his hand was still around hers. Suddenly, she felt herself blush.

What if he doesn’t like me? she scribbled. Or what if I don’t like him when I see him again?

“Don’t be so ridiculous, Braelyn,” he soothed, as he rubbed his thumb on the back on her hand. “He can’t hate you, and you can’t hate him no matter what. It’s in your blood, whether he grounds you, you’ll still love him.”

To be honest, your examples aren’t really helping. I’ve never been grounded by him before, you know, she wrote.

“Whatever happens, I’ll be there,” he promised.

Then out of no where, Braelyn suddenly felt herself being pulled forward, and seconds later, she felt a pair of lips brush across hers, finally landing on her cheek. She quickly looked away, feeling herself blush slightly. Was Nick just about to kiss her?

“Want to go now?” he asked.

Braelyn nodded, and pushed the car door open, stepping out of it. She looked at the one-storey house again, approaching the front door, as she dragged her legs behind her. There was something inside of her, telling her that she had to do this.

The brunette took another step forward, knocking on the door three times before taking a step back and waiting for someone to answer the door.

What if this is the wrong address? she wrote.

Before Nick could answer her with the comfort she needed, the front door of the one-storey house the pair were standing in front of, suddenly swung open, and revealed an middle-aged man, standing in the doorway with a grin on his face.

He was staring right down at Braelyn, as happiness filled his eyes. “Braelyn,” he smiled. “After all this time, I thought you’d never come and visit.”

“Dad,” she croaked, wrapping her arms around his waist. Her voice wasn’t perfect, but she didn’t expect it to be, as she hadn’t spoken in a few years, but right now she didn’t care. “I’ve missed you so much.”

He chuckled lightly and wrapped his arms around his daughter in a fatherly manner. “I’ve missed you too, kiddo.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Because I'm such a stupid head, I stuffed up the ending in the last chapter. So I re-wrote the ending from the last chapter so it would run with the story line properly, so yes, Braelyn's father is actually alive :) If you haven't checked it out yet, then at least read the ending for the previous chapter :)

Anyway, comment and subscribe, PLEASE?
I'm not too sure about this chapter. I guess if you don't like it I can always write it again, so thoughts on this? :D

Image
Banner by danlovermay