‹ Prequel: The Red Hot Tamales

Suga Babies

Memories Make Me Want To Go Back There

Liliana

Shadow and I had moved back to my bedroom after mom had told us that Dade was in a coma. Shadow was bouncing around the room like a tiny rubber bouncy ball. She was going on and on about how I had to go see Dade and giving reasons as to why it would be logical for me to go. But I really didn’t hear any of it. I was sitting on my window seat staring out of my window at nothing, but I was seeing Dade and I many years ago.

I was chasing Dade around his backyard. He suddenly disappeared and I stopped. I twirled around searching for him, causing my white skirt to flare out.

“Come out, come out, wherever you are.” I called to the yard. I started towards the deck, catching a glimpse of movement. But when I got under there, he was nowhere to be seen. I felt my eyebrows furrow. I heard a rustle and I spun to see Dade sprinting toward the playset. My mouth hung open as he pulled himself up onto the second level. I snapped out of my shock and started running towards the playset. He had made it to the top level when I stopped below.

“Dade, come back down here!” I demanded, setting my hands on my hips. He crawled back down. I took his hand and led him to the sandbox on the first level. We sat down in our spots like we always did. It was quiet while we sat there.

“Lily…” Dade called out softly. He bit his lip and stared into my eyes.

“Can I… can I kiss you?” He asked. I was surprised.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because we have been going out for two weeks and I don’t want anyone else to be my first kiss.” He said in a whispered rush. I felt scared, mom told me not to kiss boys since I was too young. But I nodded slowly anyway. He leaned towards me and I leaned closer to him. He pushed his lips out into a pout and I mimicked his actions. He pressed his lips to mine. We stayed like that for five seconds before pulling away to stare at each other. I felt little butterflies fluttering around in my stomach.

“I love you, Dadey.” I said with a smile. He hugged me and I hugged him back.

That was when we were eight, around my birthday. I remember because he gave me a locket for my birthday. The locket that I shoved into his hand the night he broke up with me.


“What do you mean, you don’t want to be my boyfriend anymore?” I asked. I could feel my eyes filling with tears.

“Well, Cherry asked me to go steady with her and I said yes. So I don’t want to be your boyfriend anymore.” He said as he crossed his arms over his chest. I felt my little eight year old heart break and I could tell that my eyes suddenly went cold.

“Fine. I hope you’re happy.” I said as I took the locket from around my neck and shoved it back into his hands. I walked away without another word and without looking back.


“Cat? Hello, Cat? Earth to Cat…” I blinked and looked at Shadow who had stopped pacing the room and was standing there staring at me with her hands on her hips.

“Sorry, did you say something?” I asked. She made an annoyed noise in the back of her throat and threw her hands up into the air.

“I have been ranting for the last half hour; did you hear any of it?” She asked. I blushed and shook my head.

“Sorry, I was a bit preoccupied.” I confessed. She laughed and shook her head at me.

“Basically I was saying that you have to go see him, and I gave very good and valid points as to why you have to.” She pouted to show that she was disappointed with me for missing her awesome convincing skills. I wanted to laugh, but I couldn’t.

“Sorry Shadow… but I am not going to see him.” I turned away and stared out of the window again. It was silent in the room.

“AND WHY THE HELL NOT?!” Shadow screeched. I turned towards her again. She stood there with a bewildered look on her face.

“ Because Shadow, Dade doesn’t want me in his life. I am not going to go running to the hospital where I am not wanted to sit next to the bed of a boy in a coma who doesn’t want me.” I informed her.

“Cat, wake up! That boy so wants you, it couldn’t be even more obvious if he walked around with a hard on twenty four seven. He just doesn’t realize it yet.” Shadow said.

“No Shadow, he doesn’t. He told me that he wished our parents weren’t friends so we never met. That means he doesn’t want me in his life. I am not going to chase after him if he doesn’t want me.” She gave me this look that said that I was trying to fool myself.

“Cat, take this self pity bullshit and shove it up your ass. You know he wants you and your just too much of a pussy to go see him!” I just stared at Shadow, my mouth hanging open. Was she right? Was I just running from him because I am scared he could break my heart again? No… She couldn’t be right. I shook my head and stood up.

“I’m sorry Shadow, but I can’t go see him. He doesn’t want me. But I have to leave. I need to get out of here. You can stay or head home, whichever. I am not even sure if I will be coming back tonight.” I said as I grabbed a hoodie from the back of my chair. Shadow sighed.

“It’s cool, I should probably get home anyway. Got loads of stuff to do. Catch you later Kitty Kat.” She said as she disappeared out of my bedroom. I heard her clanking down the stairs then call a goodbye to my mom before she left. I grabbed my car keys and headed out. Mom called out to me as I was leaving, but I ignored her. That and the door slammed shut as I bolted out of it. I got into my car and put it into reverse after turning it on. I sped off down the street, trying to run from the demons that I knew were chasing me. I drove for what seemed hours. I wasn’t even paying attention to where I was going, just drove. Which probably was a bad thing, since I could have hit someone and not even realized it. I felt the car come to a stop and I felt myself turn the car off. I snapped out of my daze and looked around.

Of Course I drove here… Why wouldn’t I drive here? I thought sarcastically as I stared up at the hospital. I sighed and unbuckled my seat belt. Might as well since I am here. I got out and locked the door. I headed into the hospital at a slow pace. I was still debating with myself on whether or not I was really going to do this. I decided that I didn’t want to do it. But I was already inside and the receptionist asked what I needed. I stood there for a moment before I responded.

“Uh, Yes. I am here to see Dade Sherman.” I said quietly. She pointed in the direction that I needed to go and said a couple turns here and there and I would find his room. Room 135. I smiled and thanked her and headed into the direction she had pointed. I took a few wrong turns, but finally I stood outside his room. I was in the intensive care unit, standing outside room 135 like I was some creepy stalker. I sighed and turned the knob. Copper and Todd were inside. They both turned towards the door when I opened it. Copper had tears streaming down her face, and they seemed to get worse when she saw me. She looked terrible. She stood up and ran to me. She pulled me into a giant hug and squeezed me.
“I am so happy that you are here Lily. I am sure Dade would want you here.” She sobbed into my shoulder. I hugged her back and looked at Todd, who was standing awkwardly at the end of the bed.

“Cop, why don’t we let Lily visit Dade. We can go get some hot cocoa in the atrium.” He suggested as he ran his hand through his hair. He looked back at the bed, which I have been avoided looking at since I walked in this room. She stepped back and nodded. She wiped her eyes with a tissue and smiled at me. They swept past me and the door shut behind them. I stood there twiddling my thumbs, staring at everything but the still form on the bed. I heard the steady beeping of the machines and the occasional whirring of another machine. I finally managed to build up enough courage to stare at the bed. Tubes hung from him and there was a mask around his face to help him breath. I felt tears well up and a lump form in my throat.

“You stupid, stupid boy! What were you thinking? God, why are you so stupid? I can’t lose you, Dade Brennan!” I screeched at him. I rushed towards his bed and stood there staring down at him as the tears fell down my face. I cried as I brushed some of his hair out of his face.

“Don’t you dare leave me here. I know I’m a bitch to you sometimes but you can’t leave me here alone to deal with our insufferable parents. You owe me this, for what you said to me. Don’t die. I’ll have to kill you if you die.” I threatened his still body. He didn’t move, not even a twitch. I held his hand and cried even harder. I don’t know how long I sat there or how long I cried for, but after a while my body started to hurt and my tears stopped flowing. Copper and Todd never came back. Or maybe they did, but I didn’t notice. The door opened and my mother walked in. She smiled sadly at me.

“Lily, visiting hours are over. Let’s go home. You can come and see Dade tomorrow.” She said softly. I nodded and turned back to Dade. I pressed my lips to his forehead before moving to his ear.

“Stay strong overnight. Don’t Die.” I whispered. I turned away from the bed and left with my mother. We got to the lobby when I realized that I didn’t want to go home, not just yet.

“Mom, I will catch up with you. I can’t go home yet.” Mom turned towards me. She smiled sadly and just nodded. She gave me a hug and kissed the top of my head. She left the hospital and I stood there in the lobby. I pulled out my cell and dialed a number. It only rang three times before I heard a voice on the other end.

“Hey Tony, can I come over?” I asked tentatively.
♠ ♠ ♠
I am so sorry for the uber long wait... but here it is! :)

I hope you all enjoy it. Comments and such= love. Gives us lovings!!!