Starry Eyes

Your First Getaway

"My dearest friend, if you don't mind... I'd like to join you by your side. Where we can gaze into the stars..."

I sighed out. "I just love that quote," I said, with a smile. "See, mom, Jack Skellington is-" I turned to look at her and stopped mid-sentence, once I realized she was sleeping with her mouth hung open.

I laughed quietly. "I knew you wouldn't last the whole movie."

Mom murmured something in her sleep and turned her body around. I pulled the thin blanket over her and settled back, continuing with the movie.

"I want to be Sally," I whispered to myself, sighing out again. "I want to live in Halloween Town."

This happened everytime I watched Nightmare Before Christmas. I always kept imagining what life would be like if I were Sally, living in a dream world filled with monsters, vampires, ghosts and goblins.

"Norah?"

I shook my thoughts quickly away, and turned around, seeing my sister standing there.
"Is mom asleep?" She asked, whispering, as she leaned over the couch.

"No, she's watching TV with her eyes closed," I answered in usual sarcasm.

Erika sighed frutratingly. "Why do you always have to be stupid?"

"Why do you always have to ask dumbass questions?" I retorted.

"Ugh, you're such a child. Grow up."

I gasped. "Never!"

She rolled her eyes. "Look, I'm going out. If mom wakes up, tell her I'm with a friend."

"But you just got back," I said in disbelief.

"Well, Strify's taking me to a party and he's gonna play some songs with his band. I have to go."

My stomach did the flippy things again when she mentioned Strify's name.

"Did you tell her Strify's from school?" I asked, glaring at her.

"What if I did?" She challenged.

I shook my head. "You are unbelievable."

"Whatever. Will you cover for me?"

"No, I will not."

She scoffed. "Norah!"

"Hey, don't involve me in your shit. You wanna go party with random strangers without mom and dad knowing? Be my guest. I'd love to see that."

She whined. "Why do you have to be such a bitch?"

"I'm a bitch?"

"Erika?" A male voice came from behind us.

Erika sighed. "I'll be right there, Strify. I'm sorry for taking so long. My idiot sister refuses to help me."

I glared murderously at her, as I crossed my arms.

Strify looked at me and a smirk spread across his face. "Norah, right?"
I stiffened, and nodded.

Strify came towards us. "You wanna come to the party with us?"

My eyes widened. "What?"

"What?!" Erika boomed, which caused Mom to shift around on the couch.

Strify held his hand up at Erika. "Why not invite your sister, Erika? She can meet my friends."

Erika scoffed. "This isn't a party for kids."

My jaw tightened and I was ready to smack my sister so hard, I knew she'd hit the floor in a second. Strify must've seen my anger as he placed a hand on my shoulder, in order to calm me down. The flippy things in my stomach increased.

"You wanna come?" Strify asked me with a smile.

I bit my lip and looked back at my mom. "I-I don't know. I hate lying to my mom."

"See, this is exactly the kind of thing that makes you the biggest dork on the planet. You never take risks, Norah," Erika complained, shaking her head.

I stared at her weirdly. "I thought you didn't want me to go."

She rolled her eyes. "It's a Saturday, alright? And there's no chance in hell that I'm spending it here. Are you coming or not?"

"But if we're both gone, mom's gonna freak. And then she'll tell dad and then they'll both call the cops on us."

"Tell her we're going out for ice cream or something. She's sleeping, she won't even care."

I sighed. "What time will we be back?"

"No later than midnight. I promise," Strify said, his beautiful grin appearing.

I ran a nervous hand through my hair. "Fine. Give me a minute to get dressed," I said, before turning my back on them and bolting up the stairs.

"Hurry up! Strify's friends are waiting for him!" Erika whispered loudly after me.

I didn't know why the hell I agreed on going to this party. This wasn't like me at all. And what's worse? I only accepted because of Strify. When I got to my room, I threw on the first outfit I spotted in my closet. Black skinny jeans and a black top, with my polka dot flats. I quickly applied black eyeliner around my eyes and fixed my hair with some spray so it would stay in place.

After I looked at myself in the mirror and decided that I did the best I could with my look, I left my bedroom and walked down the stairs.

"About time," Erika said impatiently.

Strify watched as I came down and smiled at me. I smiled back. And guess what? The flippy things returned.

"Alright, now go tell mom we're going out. Me and Strify will be waiting in the car," Erika instructed before she grabbed hold of Strify's arm and dragged him out of the house.

I rolled my house. Why did I always have to do the dirty work?

I went over to mom and tapped her gently on the shoulder. "Mom? Mom?"

She turned her head a few times, before her eyes opened halfway to look at me. "Norah?What is it, honey?"

"Erika and I are going out for ice cream. We'll be back later, okay?" I lied, kicking myself mentally.

"Oh, sure, sure. Have fun, honey," Mom said groggily, patting my arm before shutting her eyes.

I sighed. Mission accomplished.

I made a mad dash for the front door and closed it behind me once I was outside. I walked down the porch steps and made my way to the car parked right in front of my house.
Then I paused, squinting my eyes. It was a black 67 Chevy Impala. Only the coolest car ever made. I couldn't believe Strify drove a 67 Chevy Impala!

"Will you hurry up?!" Erika called, rolling the passenger window down. "Why'd you stop?"
I shook my head and continued walking, climbing in the back seat of the beautiful piece of machinery.

"Did she buy it?" Erika asked, as Strify began driving away from the house.

"Yeah. She was barely conscious," I answered, staring outside the window.

Erika chuckled. "Your first getaway. Wow, I am shocked, Norah Lindström."

I rolled my eyes. I then realised Strify's eyes looking at me from the rear view mirror. He was smirking. I quickly looked away.

Erika's hand reached for the old radio and turned it on.

"So, what do you guys play exactly?" I asked Strify.

He raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"Your band," I stated. "What kind of music do you play?"

"Oh," He said, with a laugh. "Um, I guess we play a mix of gothic rock, with some glam and new wave."

I furrowed my eyebrows. "That's quite a mix. New wave, huh?"

"Yeah. We love the eighties. It's our biggest influence."

"So I've noticed," I answered, referring to his style. He laughed.

Erika would glance at both of us every once in a while. I didn't know why she was being like that. Strify was just really easy to talk to. She'd have to get over her stupid jealousy at some point.

"We have arrived," Strify sang, as he parked the car in a driveway of a fairly big house. It was really pretty. Bigger than mine and Erika's, that's for sure.
We all got out of the car and I followed my sister and Strify quietly, as they made their way up the front door of the unknown house.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't need no fakes around me