We Won't Regret This

II

Pat opened his eyes, yawning lazily. Flipping open his phone, he saw that it was almost three in the morning. He could feel the bus moving beneath him and he climbed out of bunk, leaning against the wall for support. The bus jerked suddenly, causing Pat to fly mercilessly to the floor. He groaned, cradling his injured arm to his body, which had hit the metal underneath if a bunk. Pat sat up and noticed that he was sitting on something uncomfortable.

He crawled away from the object then turned to see what he had been sitting on. It was a duffle bag, most likely John's, whose bed he fell into. Pat began shoving the bag under John's bunk when a book slid out of the partially-open top. Pat picked it up, examining it in the light of his cell phone.

It was a fairly small black book, appearing to be nothing special. He opened it to the first page, reading John O'Callaghan in his older band mate's surprisingly neat handwriting. Turning the page once more, he realized that this must be a diary of sorts when he read:

December 5, 2006

I think most people would be surprised if they found out that I have this, I make myself out to be many things, but not as a guy who writes in a diary. I'm not going to tell anyone about this, who knows what any of the guys would say?

Recently, I've been feeling kind of awkward around the guys. It's like we don't really talk anymore; I miss the feeling of having someone always there. They used to be like brothers to me. They still are, just not as in depth. It really bums me out sometimes. It's like we know nothing about each other anymore. They don't know that I broke up with Kelsey. And they sure as hell don't know why. I'm beginning to have feelings for someone else and it's freaking me the hell out. I need them.


After Pat had finished the first page, prepared to read the next, he realized what he was doing. This wasn't for him to read, he respects John more than that. He flips through the book until he sees the last page that John wrote on. He paused there, instead of closing the book, because he saw his name. If he had saw it just once, then he wouldn't have payed much attention, but on the page opposite the last, Pat's name appeared at least fifteen times.

Hurriedly, Pat shut the book, and tried to forget about it altogether. Sighing, he placed the book back in John's duffel and slid it under the bunk.

He trudged to the kitchen area of the bus, sitting in the small booth. His head in his hands, he tried to think about anything but John's book. He didn't know why it interested him so much, but it was killing him.

Troubled, he thought about it until the sun rose.