Something That Makes Me Whole

Cinq

Brian POV

The moment I stepped out of my room the following morning, the TV was on and Amber was sat with the remote in hand in front of it. I walked over quietly, leaned over the back of the sofa and began to tickle her. Instantly she fell side ways in a fit of laughter and tried to push my hands away.

I climbed over the back and sank down into the seat next to where she was laid grinning at me. One of her teeth was missing and it was cute. "Have you been kissing boys again?" I teased.

"Ewww!" She giggled. "Boys are gross!"

"Are you saying that I'm gross?" I retorted, putting a hand on my heart.

Amber considered me with her pretty eyes before sitting up and hugging me. Then she kissed my cheek. "Not you daddy, just Zack and Matt and Jimmy and Johnny." Then she sat down again and changed the channel. "Orchid doesn't think Jimmy is gross does she?"

I fell silent and stared at the coffee table for a few minutes whilst I felt sorry for myself and nursed the sting at the thought of them together. "No."

"Do you like her?"

"A little bit." I smiled down at the head of dark brown hair beside me. "Do you?"

"She's nice." Amber replied without taking her attention away from the TV. "Do you think she is pretty? I do."

"I think she is very pretty."

"Orchid is one of those ladies that wears clothes so people can take pictures of them because I remember her picture in a magazine before the summer vacation." I raised my eyebrows in surprise at the fact my four year old daughter new who she was after barely a day in which she'd seen the person in question for all of fifteen minutes, yet it had taken me almost a week to figure out why I recognized her. "Kate was moaning about her because she thinks she is too thin."

"Kate is just jealous because she won't ever be as nice as Orchid."

"You're all red now." Amber smiled at me. I just stood and went to get her some breakfast. I rooted around in the fridge for some fruit I know Orchid had put in there the day before; I may not keep myself in great shape with the amount of booze and junk food that I consume, but I wasn't about to let my daughter fall into that too. Besides, I wasn't Kate; I wasn't irresponsible like her and Amber actually came first.

"Righty," I said as I pulled out all the fruit I could find and put it on the island worktop "there's all this fruit here for you to choose."

Amber got off the sofa and walked round to me; then I picked her up and set her on the counter. I grabbed a bowl for her as she decided what she wanted; after a little while she put a few strawberries into the bowl and an apple. I lifted her back down and got her some water then let her settle on the sofa again.

It saddened me to think that her mom would rather have gotten high on cocaine right in front her, than played with her and enjoyed her childhood like I did. I kissed Amber then straightened up. "I'm just going to shower so I'll be in the bathroom if you need anything, but Orchid will be back soon."

Amber simply nodded and I went to find something to put on but gave up on a top and decided that I could figure that out once I was out of the shower.

Orchid POV

I went inside the room, Amber looking over as my heels clicked on the floor and suddenly I'd walked into somebody, a wet, well muscled chest was in my face. I brought my hands up to it and pushed him back slightly as I blushed fiercely. He looked down at me looking just as nervous as myself and we just stood there struggling for words.

All that was going through my head was 'fuck I'm seeing the wrong member of the band'. I mean yeah, Jimmy was sweet and the sex was good and I really liked him but Brian was just...wow. I liked the guy he seemed to be with his daughter around; he'd gone from childish to grown-up in a second flat. That was when I realised that romantically it was Brian I wanted.

"Sorry." He mumbled as he stood back, towel drying his long black hair, so I could pass which I did at speed. Anyone else would have tripped and fallen walking as fast as I was in heels like mine, but since I had mastered the art long ago I managed it perfectly and hadn't even noticed I'd done it all in my catwalk walk.

I dumped all my things in my room quickly before returning. Brian was clearly trying not to stare at my outfit and I tried not to stare at his exceptionally perfect chest. "You err, you might wanna hurry or you'll be late for your lecture." I said as I perched on the edge of one of the window seats and studied my new shoes, anything just so long as I didn't have to look at his chest.

Brian disappeared into his room and came back with a top on, his Fedora and carrying his guitar case. Quickly he began his search for his door keys. I spotted them next to the kettle under a tea-towel and went over and pulled them out. Then I turned to him and jingled them so they clacked and got his attention.

"See you later, Amber. Be good for Orchid." He said, kissing her goodbye then came over to me and made as if to kiss me on the cheek then realised and stopped. He just took the keys from where they were balanced on my index finger. "Thank you for this. I'll see you later. Any problems don't hesitate to call me."

With that he went out the door leaving me and Amber.