Status: Active, with slow updates.

Promises, Promises, Promises.

The Stress

“So, what are you guys doing this summer?” Nate, my boyfriend of almost 8 years asks.

It’s 2 days before summer break, and we weren’t spending summer with each other like we usually do, flying out to the Hamptons and sun bathing at the beach. It was different.

“Australia.” My best friend Jessica says, she’s spending her summer overseas this year. I was still unsure about my summer.

“Going to England to visit family.” Nate says, taking a bite of his apple.

“Hamptons, like every single summer.” Anna says, my other close friend.

“Same here, I’m supposed to be going to spend my summer in Bali, but I think I’ll stay here.” Ben, her boyfriend says. We’re not surprised, wherever Anna goes, Ben’s there to tag along.

“What about you Ella? Decided where you’re going yet?” Jess says, picking up a sushi piece with her chopsticks.

“Uh, no, not yet.” I say truthfully.

“How’s your dad?” Anna asks, being polite about the ordeal.

“He’s fine, if we get another letter, he’s sending me to LA.” I say.

“What about Matt?” Ben asks.

“He’s going to Chicago to stay with dad’s business partner, I reply, nervous, again, for what would happen to my family in the next couple of days.

My dad, the successful businessman, he’s been getting death-threat mails for the past week now, threatening his business, his money, his employees, his hotels and you guessed it, his life. And he thinks that same offender may be threatening our lives, too.

Mom and dad had said specifically, “If we get another letter, we’re sending you both off. The offender’s here in New York, so hopefully, he won’t be able to get you from out of town.”

I was scared. Scared for my life. My dad’s. Even my family’s. But mom and dad knew best, so they got to make the decisions, which meant no arguing, no barters with dad. Whatever he says, we do. It’s never been this way, but it’s like dad hasn’t been this terrified in his whole life.

I get home from school, the best and most expensive Private School in New York City, St. Thomas University-Preparatory School. I enter my dad’s hotel and press the ‘up’ button on the lift, pressing on the button that indicates ‘Floor 23, Penthouse.’

I was greeted by the strong smell of Vanilla Essence, what our Penthouse smelt like on a daily basis. I dropped my bag near the couch, sat down and turned on the TV.

“Princess… You’re home.” Dad says, coming out of the dining room. “Where’s your brother?” He asks.

“He went out with some friends, he told me he’d be back before dinner.” I say, turning down the volume.

“Damn it Matt,” He mumbles under his breath, “I told your brother specifically not to go out until this whole ordeal had been solved! Please, just tell me he’s with a bodyguard, Ella.” He says in the stressed tone he’s been using for the past couple of days.

“He is, dad. Calm down.” I say, picking up a bunch of grapes from the fruit basket on the coffee table.

“Right, Ella pack your things, you’re flying out first thing Saturday afternoon.” He says without another word, walking briskly to his office.

I didn’t want to argue with him, and mom had already told us how important it was for him to keep us all safe. He was under a great load of stress, and I felt so sorry for him. I was about to ask him if everything was okay, but I knew the answer to that question already.

I headed upstairs to my room and opened the double-doors. The light streamed into my windows and onto my grey carpet and ‘minimal-themed’ room. I turned the corner and grabbed my suitcases, loading them up neatly with all the things I would need to take with me.

Image

Image

I heard my phone ring, it was a text message.

From: Nate
Hey love, planned what you’re doing yet?
You could go to England with me if your dad hasn’t decided yet.

I sighed, knowing I wouldn’t be able to spend any time with him this summer.

To: Nate
Sorry, dad’s sending me to LA.
He decided just a couple of minutes ago.
See you at school tomorrow.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for reading the first chapter of my Nickfic, everyone. I plan to update as soon as I can, and I'm already writing the fourth chapter to this fanfic.
If you're on Facebook and have read my other fanfic 'Good Luck Charm' you may have noticed, I have the same characters with some different personalities, this story will hopefully be a lot better than that one, the plot-line will be slightly the same, but... you'll never know until you read on!

Don't forget to add me as a friend, comment, review, whatever you guys do here on mibba.
I'm still trying to get into the hang of things, so thanks so much for being patient.
love always,
cecilia.