‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Gushing Side

Dave

“I’m fine,” I persisted, as Peyton asked me yet again. “I’m going to be fine,” I mumbled and he rolled his eyes. I had been telling everyone I was fine. I had to so that they would believe it, and to convince myself of it. I wasn’t being very convincing though.

Now I was going to lunch, and I was nervous. I hadn’t seen Jen all day at all and now she was going to be sitting near me. Butterflies erupted in my stomach at the thought. As soon as I was in the cafeteria, I just got lunch. Today it was nasty pizza sticks that would probably curdle my stomach. I shoved the tray on the table in front of me and let Katelyn sit on one side, with Madison on the other. I hated that they felt the need to protect me, but I was grateful at the same time.

But there was no sign of dearest Jennifer. I relaxed a little bit, until I noticed Will and Madison sharing anxious glances and staring across the cafeteria. I didn’t think I should look. It’s that indescribable feeling, though, that made me look. And once I saw, I couldn’t stop gaping at the sight. It made my blood boil and completely crushed me.

Jen was eating her yogurt with Andrew and his friends.

It was disgusting how they all welcomed the little slut. They didn’t even give a regard to how close she was sitting to him, or the arm he had around her shoulder. They didn’t seem to mind the eyes they made at each other or how, whenever she laughed, Andrew would kiss her cheek. I minded though, and looked away. I didn’t know how to feel. “Christ, they’re engrossed in each other,” Will commented and I rolled my eyes sullenly.

I let my eyes rest on her yet again. As much as I wanted her to be ugly and horrible and the biggest bitch in the world, she really wasn’t. She was gorgeous and fascinating and moving up in the world. As she should; she needed the status to be happy. It was simply her nature. I couldn’t hate her for that; I couldn’t hate her when I loved her. It was a bad realization, a bad time for it. I was frustrated and sad. Now there was a weird, awkward quietness in the air and I wanted to scream.

It hurt. It really did but I would move on like she was. “We can actually talk you know. It isn’t like anyone died,” I said, and a breath of air was let out. I noticed Katelyn watching Will and grinned suspiciously. There was something in it. When she noticed me looking at her, she blushed and turned back to her salad. I’d have to keep a mental note of what I’d seen.

“Where’s Chuck?” I asked, noticing his absence for the second time today. “Oh, uh,” Peyton stuttered while Madison interrupted. “There’s this whole big story. He’s staying with us for awhile,” she said, motioning between herself and Peyton. “What? Why?” Katelyn asked for me, and I leaned back so they could see each other. “His dad kicked him out,” she gushed, and I felt shocked.

“What? But they have such a good relationship,” I said, letting my eyes flicker up to Jen again. The same sinking feeling was in my stomach. “Get this,” she said, gossip face on, “He’s gay. Chuck, that is.” I was a little bit shocked. Simply and mostly because I never really thought about why Chuck never seemed to have a girlfriend or anything. It was a weird thought.

“Who knew?” I said, looking over at Peyton. He looked pretty mad, and I was pretty sure he was going to say something. “Madison, that was private. Why would you tell everyone?” he said and I dropped my head in my hands. “We’re all friends with him, what’s the big deal?” she said and he huffed.

“The big deal is that he trusted us with that. Maybe he didn’t want everyone to know. It’s too late now because you had to run your big mouth all because you had the latest gossip!” he spat, standing up and leaving the table.

Jen was looking over with a concerned face on. I grimaced as she turned and said something to Andrew, who also looked. Shit, she was coming over here. I replaced my gaze on Madison, who looked a little surprised. “I’m gone for ten minutes and things already go all drama on me,” I heard her voice say. “Get out of here, slut. Go back to Andrew,” Will spat and I rolled my eyes. Apparently she rolled hers too.

“Don’t roll your eyes at me. Just leave,” he said, instead she sat down next to him and insisted on knowing what happened. As he explained to her, Madison jumped up. “I’ll be right back,” she said, her face and voice emotionless. I watched her walk away. I couldn’t stand hearing Jen’s voice so I turned to Katelyn.

“So, you and Will, huh?”

Peyton

I couldn’t even believe that she told all these people. Sure, it wasn’t like, the whole school or anything but Will and Katelyn would tell Jen and who knows who she would tell. I was pacing in the bathroom, pissed that Madison felt like she could tell my best friend’s secret to anyone. The door opened slowly and I turned to glare at whoever was coming in.

Madison looked around the door and walked in slowly. “So this is what the boy’s bathroom looks like,” she said quietly, walking towards me. “Yeah, it’s stunning,” I mumbled sarcastically. She hugged me and I let my arms hang by my sides. “I’m sorry. I didn’t think before I said that stuff. I really don’t want you to be mad at me,” she said, and she reached up to kiss my cheek.

“Please don’t touch me. I’m really mad at you right now,” I said generically, my voice a monotone. She sighed and let go of me. “I said I was sorry, okay? I don’t know what else to say.” I leaned against the sinks. “I’m just frustrated because my best friend just got a secret revealed and he didn’t want it to happen like that.” She folded her arms over her chest. “Everyone understands, though. We all accept him.” I shook my head.

“You don’t get it, do you? Regardless that everyone accepts him, he didn’t want them to know yet. And he wanted to be the one to tell them, not you.” She stared at me blankly. “Whatever. Just leave please. I don’t want to talk anymore,” I said, and she frowned. “Okay, well, I love you,” she said. There was an awkward silence where I was supposed to reciprocate her affection. I didn’t.

She blinked once and made a face. Then she left.

I didn’t really care if I hurt her feelings. She was pissing me off lately anyway. I was just tired of people acting like other people’s business was their own. She was nice enough to let him stay but she was telling people now. I sighed. Maybe I was overreacting a little bit. Still, I was angry and it was in the moment. The door opened again and I looked up to see Andrew Stevens.

I rolled my eyes. “Hey man,” he said and I moved out of his way of the sink. “Hey,” I said flatly. “I know you don’t really like me because I stole Jen from your friend, which I didn’t, but maybe you should not fight with Madison,” he said, washing his hands. “What do you know about me and Madison?” I snapped and he shrugged, getting some paper towels. “I know enough to see that you both really care about each other and shouldn’t fight like that.”

He had a point but still, it was a little presumptuous. “Why do you have the right to tell me this?” He stood there for a moment, drying his hands. “Because we’re like, best friend in laws or something, right?” he said, and I smiled. That was such a Jen thing to say. “Yeah. Thanks man,” I said. He threw the towel in the garbage and left.

Despite what he said, I was still mad. The tension between Madison and I was still growing and I was really nervous.
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, it's short. but very necessary.
next chapter: dinner!

and please comment. i know it's short and shitty but tell me everything you love and hate. and andrew isn't that bad, right?