‹ Prequel: All It Takes

What It Takes

The Lethal Side

Jen

Saturdays were the best days of the week. I was sitting in my room listening to Mozart, like I did every afternoon I spent in. I hadn’t touched my homework yet, and wasn’t willing to. Last night, I went on a date with Andrew and it was beyond boring. Good kisser, horrible date. I never planned on putting myself through that again.

I lay back on my bed and stared up at my ceiling. I could think of way more stimulating people like… Dave. The kid was growing on me. I considered him a friend, at least. I’m not sure anymore though. I might like him more than that. The other night at the mall was really fun.

“Do you wanna just chill here for a while though?” he asked, and I hesitated. Was he really asking me this? Was he kidding? I wanted to stay with him for longer. I didn’t think it would be so fast for him to grow a pair.

“Yeah, sure.”
*
I was leaned up against the back of the stairs. It was a private little area. Dave and I were making out heatedly. It was a long time coming but I wasn’t thinking about that. He made me feel so alive. My fingers attached themselves to his hair as I tugged gently. His bangs were tickling my face as I leaned up to him.

He pulled me closer by my belt loops, keeping his hands hovering over my hips. It was a sloppy and urgent kiss. We needed each other desperately. I wanted to be even closer but that was impossible and I knew it. His tongue massaged mine both gently and aggressively.

“Oh look, emo boy is getting some!” someone shouted and there was laughter. I pulled away from him breathlessly. “Jen?” I looked over to the culprit. I was mad. You don’t get me mad. “If you ever, and I mean ever call him emo or even bother him, Michael Wright, I swear to god you will have the worst fucking life imaginable, you understand me?” I said, poking his chest violently.

“Okay, okay,” he said, putting his hands up. “Apologize!” I scolded, “And use his name, it’s Dave.” He turned to him and hung his head. “I’m sorry Dave,” he said slowly. “Good, now I’ll see you in school.” They walked away and I turned back to Dave, a smile on both of our faces. “I guess that kind of ruined the mood,” he said, rubbing the back of his neck.

I chuckled, “I guess so.” We started walking again, in the opposite direction of the guys from our school. He grabbed my hand and laced our fingers together. I looked up at him and smiled, but I couldn’t help but feel confused.


I sighed as the soft melodies of Mozart floated around me. I was confused. I loved kissing Dave. As the thought passed through my mind, I lifted my hand up to my lips. My mom knocked on my door. “Jennifer? You have a visitor,” she said, opening the door. I saw Dave strolling in and did a double take. “What are you doing here?” I asked.

He sat on my bed as my mom shut the door. “I wanted to see you. I can’t stop thinking about you,” he said, dropping his head in his hands. I smiled a small smile. “I know,” I sighed and he looked up at me. He was so beautiful. His hair was perfectly straightened and the perfect length. His eyes were gorgeous, especially with the eyeliner he wore. I didn’t know what could completely change my opinion on him. But I did know, it was his personality. He was so kind and different, it was refreshing.

“How do you know?” he asked and I smiled. “Maybe because I can’t stop thinking about you either.” He grinned up at me. “I guess that’s a good thing then,” he stated and I nodded, raising my eyebrows. “What about Sara?” I asked and he shrugged. “What about Sara?” he repeated. His phone rang and I saw the name Chuck dance across the screen.

“Dude,” he answered. “Dave, we have a problem with Sara,” I heard from across the line. “What kind of problem? I’m kind of in the middle of something really important,” he sighed, playing with my fingers. “Just come to the hospital.” We both looked up immediately with wide eyes.

Madison

Saturdays are the best day of the week. I dressed myself up for some reason, trying to be like a little girl. I was wearing tights and a dress that poofed out slightly at the bottom, the top was strapless and striped, black and white. I put a crème colored sweater over it and finished with silver flats. I smiled at myself in the mirror.

“Well doesn’t my baby look spiffy?” Peyton said as he walked into the bedroom. I chuckled. “Thanks, I wanted to play dress up today,” I said. He wrapped his arms around me from behind and kissed my cheek. “I got you something,” he sang in my ear. I giggled. “Oh yeah? What?” I asked turning in his arms and kissing his nose.

“Well, you’ll like it,” he said and I cocked my head. “Just tell me,” I whined. He chuckled. “Alright, I’ll get it,” he said, letting go of me and going over to his night stand. He handed me a shirt. It was black with two snakes-cobras to be exact- in a heart shape with the words Cobra Starship in them. I looked up at him and hugged it to my chest. “Thank you so much!” I squealed, throwing my arms around him. “Anything for you.”

“You’re so sweet,” I cooed, pushing my lips onto his. He kissed back gently and then I pulled away. “I’m putting it on!” I said, excitedly, stripping down quickly. “You don’t have to,” he mumbled, averting his eyes. I pulled a pair of jeans out of my dresser and pulled them on. I turned back towards him and pulled the shirt over my head. “Look! It fits perfect!” I said, looking in the mirror.

“Yeah, it does,” he said, moving some hair out of his eyes. I placed a light purple beanie on my head and smiled at the mirror again. “Perfect,” I sang turning and hugging him. “Lunch?” he asked and I nodded. I followed him down to the kitchen and sat on a stool at the counter. “Peyt,” I whined, “Make me food.” He scoffed. “Make your own food,” he snorted.

I pouted at him. Things were so much better since everyone found out. Except for the sympathetic looks. Jason spent no time telling everyone it was arranged. Everyone automatically assumed that I didn’t want this and was just being a nice person. Everyone is also stupid. Peyton and I were so much more open now. That wasn’t the only reason. The tidbit of information I learned from Chuck also propelled the fact that we were moving along. I couldn’t wait until he found out though.

His phone rang and I picked it up to hand it to him, seeing Chuck’s name appear. Think of the devil, I thought with a smile on my face. “Put it on speaker,” Peyton directed to me and I did so. “Hey Chuck, what’s up?” he asked. “Peyt, man, Sara-she- you just need to come to the hospital,” Chuck said in a panicked voice. I looked up my eyes wide as dinner plates. “We’re on our way,” Peyton said, hanging up, grabbing my hand and pulling me out the door.

*

We rushed into the county hospital, frantically searching for anything familiar. I had gotten a text that said third floor from Jen and I wondered why she was here. I wondered why Sara was here too and nervous butterflies jumped to my throat. I hoped everything was okay, for Peyton at least.

Peyton led me to an elevator, pressing the number three impatiently. The doors shut and the small box lifted slowly. I looked up at him and immediately lifted my hand to caress his cheek. He looked about ready to cry. “Everything will be fine, I’m sure,” I said, trying to comfort him. He sighed, “I don’t know about that.”

The doors opened and we got out quickly, moving to the nurse’s desk. “Could you tell us what room Sara McGuiness is in?” I asked. The large nurse behind the desk nodded and checked the computer. “Room 314,” she said and we rushed off in the direction she pointed. Chuck was standing outside. “What happened?” Peyton asked, I gripped his hand tightly.

“She cut herself. Really deep,” he swallowed, looking dangerously close to tears, “She left a note and everything.” I felt myself gasp. “The doctors said if I came any later she probably wouldn’t have made it. From what I told them, they think she’s bipolar.” I almost dropped to my knees in shock. “Her parents are on their way home now,” he said, and I hugged him.
“It’s okay, Chuck. Everything will be fine,” I cooed, rocking him. “I know. I was just so scared,” he said, shaking. “You can cry,” I whispered and he did. He sobbed into my shoulder. Peyton went in the room, where I saw Jen and Dave. I sank to the floor with Chuck and pulled him into me. “Shh, everything will be okay,” I assured him.

But I wasn’t sure if it would. I didn’t know why Sara wanted to kill herself, but I knew it couldn’t be good. I also knew that everything would be different. She’d be on medicine and seeing therapists. It would be so bad for everyone. And one thing for sure, Peyton needed to find out. He needed to know everything that Chuck told me about Sara.
♠ ♠ ♠
whoa, i told you you'd be surprised ;D.
how many of you saw that coming?
obviously, the italics part is a flashback.
how many of you saw that coming?
heh, neither did i.

shirt
that's my shirt. and my little brother in the background.
anywho, my lovely readers, please comment.

tell me your theories and favorite quotes, those kind are my fave.
hope you all had a merry christmas, and a happy holiday.