Status: Ongoing

Eccentrically

Grace

My eyes are swollen.

It was the first thing that I noticed as I stood-up on the corner of my room and looked at myself straight at the mirror. My t-shirt was wrinkled with a thousand scrunches, eagerly waiting to be disposed at the laundry basket as soon as I was finished taking an evening shower. I cocked my head slightly to the side, still suppressing a sniffle, and saw that it was already 6:04 PM. The view from my window painted a variety of dark colors, drenched in unappealing dark hues. At a night like this, I should’ve been chatting alongside Mrs. J and Elijah.

But today was different.

“Grace?” I heard someone knock and say behind the door. “It’s time for dinner. Come on,”

It was Emery. “Yeah,” I replied almost immediately, trying to loosen my voice. “I’ll be down in a second.” Then, I heard her footsteps starting down the hallway to the stairs.

I pulled on my wardrobe drawer, trying to find a towel to wipe away all my sweat that built up on my back. Who knew that crying so hard was this tiring? I grabbed a small green towel and went inside my bathroom. The water pierced my skin as I slightly flinched at the flowing freezing water from the sink.

The mirror showed the truth. Under my eyes were slightly dark depressions, circling my eyes. I have alien-like green eyes that scared a lot of people when I turned to them. My body was stick-thin, and my skin showed the color of crumbling chalk dust. Plus, as if my life wasn’t bad enough, I have horrible red curly hair that makes me look as if I was stuck at the 50’s.

I think it’s time for a change.

“Stop it, Ace.” she said, her voice fully concerned. “Please?”

Emery held my chin up and swiftly brushed my face with the towel she picked up from the kitchen drawer. Her eyes were swollen from crying the whole day as well but for a different reason. She had been accepted to Harvard for college. She’s going to be taking up Physics. Emmy was crying for happiness, in joy. But somehow, even through it all, she still manages to comfort me. Now, after 17 years, I’m still such a baby. I’m always in need of my elder sister.

“It’s not.” I answered, my voice all muffled. “What if Eli will never love me the way I want him to? What if he never gives me a chance? I’m always stuck on the loose ends. Why can’t I be beautiful?”

She sighed. “Come on, Gracie.” Emmy stood-up from her seat and took the Roast Beef out of the oven. From my seat, I could smell the wonderful herbs that danced across the room. “Don’t say that.” I heard her scoop a huge amount of her famous basil mashed potatoes, most probably to put on my plate. Emmy turned to me. “I think you’re beautiful.” she said, placing the meal in front of me.

Emery is my elder sister by 2 years. She’s a full-pledged smartass with everything and anything. Not only that, but I find her the most beautiful woman on Earth – next to my Mom. Sure we have our similarities. We have the same Green eyes, tousled red bedroom hair and a crazy appetite. But she was more than that. I was only what I was – whoever that person is.

Right now, I just don’t want to know.

When I got down from my bedroom, Emery asked what was wrong with me. But right then, even before I thought about what I was supposed to say, I just started crying again. I couldn’t help it. Of course I know that there are a thousand worse things that could’ve happened instead of dealing with whatever happened awhile ago, but everyone must understand. I’m not as strong as everyone else. I’m neither like Maggie nor Elijah.

I’m just Grace Kinley, no more.

I chucked down Emmy’s food in no time. There was nothing quite like her cooking. She sure knows her way around different herbs and spices. I wonder if it’s possible for me to do all the things she does without breaking any sweat? The whole dinner, Emery ate her food whilst reading a book called The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown. It was thick with a golden hardcover, something that I wouldn’t want to read in the near future.

“Grace?” she eventually broke the silence after taking a sip of water. “You shouldn’t be down all the time. I think you should smile more often. Won’t you?” Emery placed her palm over my hand.

“I think so.” Not.

The doorbell rang, and I instinctively pulled my hand away from Emmy’s. She smiled at me before standing-up to go get the door. I froze as I heard her footsteps move from one step to another. Until I heard her call out to me, “Grace!”

“What is it?”

“It’s someone I don’t know.” she shot back.

I trudged as I took my time with walking. It must’ve taken me a minute to get to the other room, which is rather stupid but whatever. Seriously, it must be a telemarketer or something. Seriously, don’t those people ever give up? I mean, who’d want to be interested in balloon pants or skating socks or whatever crap they should be selling at a garbage can? My annoyance was getting the better of me. And then, I saw HIM. Yes, HIM. He turned to the side, took his cap off and smiled. “G’evening, Grace.”

Someone, please check my heart rate.

“Oh, hi, Eli,” I’m dying. “What brings you here?” I’m dying. Someone, PLEASE, get me an ambulance – quick!

To see Elijah now is like giving me a quick peck of the kiss of death right at this very moment. His curly dark brown hair, perfect eyes and stimulating lips are daunting as he entered the room in a multi-crinkled green shirt with dark cargo pants.

“Umm,” he said for awhile, reconsidering if he shouldn’t have gone inside my house instead. “Here,” Elijah reached over a small photograph – our picture from yesterday. “I thought you might want a copy.”

Grace, here’s the breakdown. If Elijah knows that you like – love – him, he’s ego will boost to a startling 99%. Plus, he might just play with your feelings. That’s what boys are like, right? They’ll just mess you up and leave you devastated as they hook up with your bestfriends.

No way is that going to happen to me.

I took the photo from his hand and shoved it inside my pocket. “I’ll,” Woops, I just stuttered. “I’ll look at it later.”

“Okay,”

We stared at each other for the longest time. I didn’t even notice that Emery was staring blankly at the two of us. “Hey, you two.” She said in her sugary sweet voice. “No scary stuff inside the Kinley household. You two look like you want to kill each other.”

Kill? Yes.

“Eli, m’boy,” Emery switched glances to me and Eli. “Would you like to eat dinner with us? You look famished. We have plenty of extras and I’m sure Grace here would like to chat with you even further – in private.” Oh, Emmy. I’m not sure if you’re doing me a favor or secretly humiliating me to death.

“I would love to.” Eli winked over at me.

What the.
♠ ♠ ♠
I wanted to write more of Grace's POV.

The next update might be my last update for a bit. C: Is anyone going to join Nanowrimo here? I think it might occupy my time for the next month so probably no updates for Eccentrically in a while.