Snake Bite Heart With a Bubble Gum Smile

Chapter21

The cement of the sidewalk is cold against my rear. I can feel it seeping through my jeans, chilling me. I would hate to have to sleep here. The cold would probably freeze my blood overnight. The police would find my body, pale-skinned and blue-lipped, and they would wonder what happened. I should go home so I can sleep in my bed and so my parents don't think I ran away again.

But I don't know where I am.

I walked around the maze-like neighborhoods till the sun set. I was going to go home after but I realized the street sign didn't make sense to me. It's like I'm a different state completely.

I guess I'm stuck here till someone comes looking for me. I doubt they'll come this way if they do look for me.

This street seems abandoned. There are cars in the driveway but no one has come out of their homes and no cars have passed down the street. I was hoping to see at least one car. I wanted to flag it down and ask them how to get to my street.

Oh shit, I don't remember what street I live on.

It's been so long since I needed to recite my mailing address. It slipped my memory.

Well, I'm stuck here until I can maneuver through this labyrinth.

I have no phone. Without a mailing address, I couldn't get one. They have to send the bill somewhere. I can't just write "the third bench next to the naked tree." I don't think they would accept that. I'm probably the only teenager who doesn't have a cell phone.

Its times like these that I wish I had a phone.

I pick at the thread poking out from my shoe. These are so old. I need new ones. Ones without holes. Ones that aren't threatening to fall apart.

I'm falling apart. I just verbally attacked my parents. Maybe they'll understand how I feel now. I can hope.

I don't want to go home right now. I can't face them. I need time to calm down. They need time to forget my outburst. I want them to remember it. I want it to be burned in their memory.

A sigh escapes my lips, the breath visible in the cold air. I am going to freeze to death.

From a distance I can hear a car engine. The sound gets louder. The headlights of the vehicle blare down the street. I squint to look at it. The car travels slowly in my direction. It seems the driver is looking for something. The car gets closer; I turn my head from the lights not wanting to go blind at a young age. It pulls to a stop a foot away from my sitting spot. The car is turned off, the lights no longer threaten to destroy my vision, and the driver steps out. My eyes attempt to make out the tall figure but spots ruin their efforts. The figure stands in front of me.

"August, I found you. Alex has been looking everywhere for you," I recognize that voice.

It’s the same voice that causes my heartbeat to quicken. My vision slowly clears, the spots fading away and most likely causing some damage.

"Jack?" I ask.

"Congratulations, you remember my name, you get a cookie," he says. "I have to take you home."

"I don't want to go home."

"You have to go home."

"I know. I just don't want to go right now."

He crinkles his nose in thought.

That huge nose. It's so distracting.

"Do you want to stay at my apartment? I can call Alex and tell him you're with me," he suggests.

"Really?"

He nods. My heart is beating so hard it might burst through my chest.

"Sure," I agree, standing.

"Alright. Come on," he leads the way to his car, opening the door for me.

I slid in, mumbling a "thanks." He closes the door and walks around to the other side, slipping into the driver seat and turning the car back on. Hot air thaws my body.

"Onward to my palace," he exclaims.

"Hurry, prince. The dragon might catch us," I play along.

"I have to call the dragon and tell him I've saved you."

I laugh; he joins in. His laugh is amazing. It's perfect.

Damn it, I'm acting like a love-sick preteen again.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you to xoNatasha5xo, love.for.life, erinx3, save your heart., AmandaEatsSky, youmakemylifebright (who commented twice), xXScreamToBeHeardXx, purplemonster, and CypherToorima.
And thank you to any new subscribers.
It makes my day better knowing that people like this.
Its really does.
Enjoy?
Comment?
xoxo
Lyric-Celeste