You're Hiding All the Right Things

You're Hiding All The Right Things Ch. 8

The Next Day...

"Skylar! Wake up! You’re gonna be late!" Beau yelled into my room while Jared was shaking me awake.

I slowly woke up, then checked my clock. Aw shit. I only had fifteen minutes to get ready. "Okay, okay, I’m up. Move so I can get ready." I said, getting out of bed, grabbing some random clothes and going to take a speed racer shower. I got out with enough time to make me hair look good and grab something to eat before Beau drove me to school.

"So did you forget to set your alarm?" He asked.

"I guess so. I swear I set it, though. Maybe I was dreaming.." I said, still half asleep. I took out my phone and saw that I had a new text.

Hey, just wanted to say good morning since I didn’t see you before I left. See you later. Love you <3

I smiled and giggled.

"Oooh, is it from Jeremiah?" Beau said in a fun, sarcastic tone.

"Yes, it is, actually." I said, closing my phone and putting it in my pocket.

Beau laughed and pulled into the parking lot, dropping me off at the usual spot. "I’ll see you after school. Is Jeremiah coming over?"

"What do you think?" I asked, smirking, leaning in the door.

He smiled. "I guess I should’ve known. I’ll see you later."

"Bye." I shut the door and walked into school. Everything seemed normal. I didn’t realize that I was shaking this whole time. I didn’t know why I was so nervous, I didn’t care if people knew about me. Maybe I was just telling myself that and I was actually scared shitless about what people will think of me, and what Karli was actually telling people. She was probably making up some random shit like I raped her while I was drunk or something. I shuddered at how disgusting that sounded in my mind and went to my locker, looking for Caleb and Thomas. I never drink, and I would never do something so disgusting to anyone, no matter how much of a bitch Karli is.

"Hey Skylar." I heard someone say as they passed my locker. I looked up and saw that it was Candace. I was confused because she never talked to me, but I wasn’t gonna give her the silent treatment.

"Hey." I said, smiling and waving. I turned back to grabbing books out of my locker. I was feeling better about today with every moment that passed by. I walked into class and saw Caleb, who waved like a dork. I waved back, rolling my eyes, laughing to myself. Sometimes I wonder about him.

"So what all happened when we left last night?" He asked right as I sat down.

"Nothing that you need to be concerned about, geez, I’m not gonna tell you everything about our relationship. We gotta keep some things to ourselves."

"Pff." He said, crossing his arms, facing the front. "You’re gonna eventually tell me anyways. You always do. You just can’t keep things like that from me."

"Shut up. That’s so not true." I said, not making eye contact, because it was true. I did tell him everything. He’s practically my brother, it’s almost an obligation to tell him everything. Thomas is like a brother, too, but I don’t tell him nearly as much as I tell Caleb.

"Just write it in a note when you get over yourself." He said. I could tell he was smiling.

I sighed, looking at him. "Fine." I took out a piece of paper and started writing what we all did after they left. We went to the park and swung for a little bit, then we went to one of the local stores and started wreaking havoc until we got kicked out, then we went back to my house and fell asleep watching Happy Feet. Beau woke us up around 11 and told us that Jeremiah had to go home because we both had school and we kissed each other goodnight.

I passed the note to Caleb, making sure that the teacher didn’t see, since this one read the notes out loud to the class, and that would be nothing short of absolutely embarrassing.

Caleb read it while he was supposed to be reading out of his text book. I would get random pokes in my arm at something he would find adorable. I just rolled my eyes and kept on reading, really hoping that Caleb doesn’t get caught. The bell rang right as he got done reading it, and he looked like he could scream.

Once we were out of the classroom, he started poking me constantly, smiling. "Hey Skylar. Hey Skylar."

"Whaaat?" I said, feeling slightly embarrassed. My cheeks were a light shade of red.

"You and Jeremiah are soooooo perfect for each other." He said, linking arms with me.

I laughed, turning a darker shade of red, looking at the floor. "Why do you say that?"

He stopped me in the hallway and looked at me like I just said my hair was lime green. "Do I really have to explain it? Honestly? It’s kinda obvious."

I continued down the hall. "No, you don’t have to explain it. I just don’t understand how you guys think that we’re the cutest thing out there. There are cuter." I said, stepping into second period with Caleb right as the bell rang.

"You two are lucky." The teacher said as we sat down.

I smirked. "We know."

"What, were you two making out or something?" I heard Karli say from behind us.

I turned to look at her, giving her an extremely disgusted face. "Shut your mouth, that’s disgusting. I’m not gonna make out with every guy I see, that’s ridiculous."

"Yeah, honestly, Karli, what the hell?" Caleb said, also turning around.

"Language, Caleb." The teacher warned.

"Sorry." He said, turning back to look at Karli again. "Seriously, don’t open your mouth unless you know what you’re talking about."

"You think I don’t know what I’m talking about?" She asked, sounding offended.

"Obviously not, since Skylar’s obviously taken by someone else." I heard Candace say from the very back row.

I looked at her and smiled. I was starting to like this Candace.

"Well, he obviously goes to a different school, so who knows what kind of stuff he could do while..."

"Shut. Up. Oh. My god. How can you even say that? I would never do that to Jeremiah. Never. Ugh! You just need to get over the fact that I never loved you and move on with your life, I swear. It’d make everyone happier." I pretty much yelled at her. In the back of my mind I was surprised that the teacher was letting this go on, she usually doesn’t tolerate this kind of stuff. "It’s so disgusting how you can even think of such shi...crap about me and hold such a grudge. That’s so immature."

I turned around. I didn’t want to argue with her anymore. I realized only after I was done yelling at her that I was on the verge of tears. "Can I be excused for a few minutes?" I asked the teacher quietly.

"Sure, take your time." She said.

I grabbed Caleb’s arm. "He’s excused with me." We both walked out of the classroom and Caleb followed me to the bathroom. I sat up against the bathroom wall, Caleb following.

"Are you gonna be alright?" He asked.

I took a deep breath in, feeling the urge to cry fading. "Yeah, I just didn’t want to start crying in class." I wiped my cheeks instinctively, feeling a slight wetness from some fallen tears. "And I didn’t want to end up beating the shit out of Karli for saying all that stuff."

"If you didn’t I would’ve." Caleb said.

I laughed and smiled at him. "I love you, man."

Caleb smiled and we both got up and hugged. "Ready to go back in there?"

I sighed. "Ready as I’ll ever be."

We walked out of the bathroom and back into class. I saw that Karli was where Candace was and Candace in Karli’s spot. I liked this rearrangement.

"Are you feeling better? Can we actually start class?" The teacher asked, a small, considerate smile playing with her mouth.

I smiled. "I think so, yeah."

"Alright." She said, and class commenced. I felt Karli’s eyes on me the whole time, and it made me insanely uncomfortable. The whole class could be staring at me and I wouldn’t care, why was it bugging me so much that she was? Caleb hit my arm and gave me one of his "are you alright" looks, and I nodded. Thankfully Karli wasn’t in my next hour class.

My phone started vibrating in my pocket about half way through class. I jumped and only Caleb noticed. I took out my phone and saw a text from Jeremiah:

just checkin up on you, seein how everything’s going. Hopefully no one’s bullying you. I might have to kick their asses :] call me on our lunch break, I miss you <3

I closed my phone smiling. It was really convenient that we had the same lunch period even though we went to two different schools.

Caleb looked at me. I looked at him, still beaming. He just shook his head at me.

"You just don’t understand." I whispered to him.

He held in his laughter. "You sound like an over dramatic teenage girl."

"That’s what I was going for, obviously."

"Shhh." The teacher said, looking at us.

"Sorry." We said in unison. Sometimes it’s scary how alike Caleb and I are. I swear we need to be separated for a few days, but I don’t think I could handle not being around him for that long. I would get withdrawals.

About ten minutes after that incident, the bell rang. Only one more class until I could talk to Jeremiah. Caleb and Thomas could tell that I could scream for joy.