Pink Apartment

microscope.

Image

I opened my laptop and took my glasses out. I didn't particularly like gluing my eyes to a screen for 9 hours. In fact, I hated it. But it was the reason I was getting a paycheck and I could only pray that Mr. Dunn would be nicer today. Despite our little meet up.

"What are you doing here?" I asked as I watched Rupert sit down. Doing my work and watching after Rupert would make me Super Nanny. A job far too complex for me.

"Visiting my girlfriend." He teased me. He blew me a kiss, just like stars do at the camera and I drew back a little.

"You're so not smooth, Rupes." I said clutching my stomach. Such a little thing could make me laugh so hard. One of the main reason I always connected with Rupert. Even when he was in diary mode.

He poked his tongue out and I giggled. People around us started to gaze at us curiously and I could almost hear their thoughts. They thought we were a couple. And in my line of business, that's a bad thing. Rupert got out a chair and sat next to me at my desk. While I was looking at my computer screen, he put his head on his arm and he played with a cowboy shaped pen I had.

Part of me wanted to jump right in and play with him. He was a kid at heart. But part of me, the responsible side, wanted, no, made me do my work. I hated that side of my personality.

"Play with me." Rupert almost begged me and I threw him a sad smile. I wanted to. But Mr. Dunn would kill me if I did so.

"Not now, Rupes. 'Sides, you're older than me, remember? You're not supposed to play anymore."

"What does that have to do with anything? Old hag." He calmly said. My nerves raised up.

"What?! You ugly nerd." I shot back. He opened his mouth in protest and then he started laughing. He was actually amused.

"Oh, a nerd. Seriously?" He then put his hands on his heart. Oh, how I wanted to have a stake right now.

"Shut up, loser." I yelled.

"You're the loser. Fine. I'm gonna go somewhere fun." He strode out of the office. I always loved to say 'office'. Cubicle just didn't sound right. I loved to feel like an important person. Who doesn't?

I did the rest of my work. Fuming.

Selfish prick bastard idiotic pig.

I angrily typed on the keyboard almost breaking it twice. When I ran out of curse words, I reached for my water but I spilled it on me. My dress was ruined. No, scratch that. I was ruined. My dress was white and now it was colored just like my skin was. You could see my panties, my bra, everything. The phone called and I jumped up in surprise.

"What?" I answered edgily.

"Woah. I didn't realize it was that time of the month. What's gotten up your ass?" My friend, Carmen said. Carmen was basically the perfect Latina. She even had an accent and everything. Shiny black hair, full brows, full lips and curvy. I envied her self confidence. I wish I had that control over myself.

"Listen, Carmen, I'm -I'm sorry. It's just that- well- life's complicated." I excused myself, while grabbing a book and trying to make it absorb the water. It was the contract for the new clients.

Fuck.

"I'll say. I remember when I was working for Mr. Dunn I somehow ended up cleaning his briefs. I didn't even bother. Seeing Natalie come out all sweaty gave me the whole picture. Oh, and the knees were all scraped up." I tried listening to her. I also tried saving the contract. I was trying to save my ass. And my friendship's ass.

"Ew." I said, picturing Natalie, the office whore, doing it with Mr. Dunn. Sad part? Natalie was a guy. I blamed his parents. I mean, you cannot seriously expect your child to be a role model when you name him after a girl. It's just wrong.

"I know. Anyway, how's life for you, chica? I hear there's a hottie in your office." She said in a sing song voice. I stopped trying to save the contract. It was pretty useless by now. And if Mr. Dunn didn't kill me for this, he'd kill me for something else. I was doomed either way.

"Jeez. You heard about it? So soon? Gossip Girl. Watch it." I advised her. I looked around, searching for Rupert. I didn't want him to cause any problems, but there he was, striking up a conversation with the beautiful colleague Georgina who was pretty much perfect. Something started to nibble at me.

"Honey, I've got all the seasons. Hell. I even got the books. Now spill." She said laughing. She always managed to make nerdy things look cool. Just like that popular chick in high school you always wished you were. Even when you tried convincing yourself that smart girls got it better.

"Carmen" I admonished her. "it's not like that. He's just a friend." At least that was what he was now. This was my diary. He knew all parts of my life. He could ruin me in a second. I took a gulp of water.

"Girl. There's a hot boy in your office and you're in a dress. Did you have sex yet?"

"What?" I shrieked, coughing up the water. "Carmen, he's just a friend."

"Fine, then can I have him?" She asked ironically. But she seemed almost hopeful. Poor guy, her fiancee and all.

"Carmen, he's not a piece of meat." He was so much more. A stubborn, electric-eyed, gorgeous, kissable, statuesque man.

"He sure is to me." She said hotly. I glared at the phone.

"You don't even know him." I half-yelled. Carmen sighed and I bet she rolled her eyes. I felt like ripping hair out of my head. Everyone was getting on my case today.

"Don't even know who?" Rupert asked coming into the office. I widened my eyes and my heart picked up. I didn't know how much he had heard. I had to act all mad. I had to show him that he couldn't step all over me.

"Oh-um, listen, I've gotta go. See you at 6. Bye!" I excused myself pathetically. I could only distinguish a voice from the wave of questions she said.

"No, wait! Is he a big guy?" Oh, how my mind had to work with her.

"CARMEN!" I yelled embarrassed. My face reddened and I smashed the phone. "What?" I yelled, mimicking the reaction I've done earlier.
♠ ♠ ♠
"Is there somebody who still believes in love? I know you're out there."
- Leighton Meester

least favorite chapter. My mom is currently
yelling and I cannot write another chapter so I'm sorry
for that. I promise I'll make it up to you.

You guys seriously rock!

love, lynn