Status: Thank you for reading!

The Beginning of the End

Time Was Not The Best Answer

Lillian's Point Of View

The football game was fun to watch but Gerard left unexpectedly last night. He wasn't even with us for the night. That wasn't the worst of my problems though.

The next day at school, he refused to talk to any of us. We called his name numerous times and he acknowledged a few times before turning and walking away. No one knew why he had a sudden mood change. I just know that I'm going to talk to him in one of our classes together.

Proceeding with my plan, during Algebra when we were given free time, I poked Gerard's shoulder. He shrugged away from me, meanly.

What did I do? This hurts knowing that he's angry with me and I don't even know what I did.

"Gerard? What did I do wrong?" I asked, resting my chin on his arm.

I felt his muscles tense up before he looked at me, anger in his eyes. I immediately dispatched my touch from him and scooted to my side of the desk. I didn't want him to fire death glares at me throughout the day. Maybe he needs some space, so that's what I'll give him.

The day ended before I ever realized it. I was on my way home before I heard someone call my name. I turned around, my scarf hitting the side of my cheek. I shook out of its grip and found Gerard standing in front of me. I took an obvious step back.

He gave me a funny look before gripping my arm. "Can you come over to my house after you get home today? I want to show you something," he asked, peering at me with a weird expression I couldn't place.

"Sure," I replied. He nodded and left me to walk the rest of the way home. He turned the other way, running back to wherever he was.

I tried not to think about what he needed to show me once I entered the warmth of home. I poured some iced tea into a clean glass cup and sipped it while trying to figure out if I had any homework for today. Surprisingly, the teachers didn't assign me anything. That's a relief.

I washed the cup and wiped my hands on a towel before walking back out into the cold. I wasn't sure if Gerard was home but I might as well try to see if he is. He did tell me to go to his house after I got home.

I rang the door, patting the sides of my legs in anticipation. The door opened and there was Gerard. He smiled at me and pulled me inside. I was pushed up the stairs into his room. I've never been here so that was probably a good idea.

He walked in after me and closed the door. I stood in the middle of the room, awkwardly. "So...what do you want to show me?" I asked shyly.

"Sit down on the bed," Gerard said. I obliged, taking my scarf off. It was chaffing me. Gerard sat next to me with a red guitar in his hands. He wanted to show me his guitar?

I looked at him. "You wanted to show me your guitar? That's it?"

He shook his head. "No, of course not. Be quiet and listen."

I was peeved he wasn't telling me what he was going to do. Either way, I stayed quiet and listened. He began plucking at the guitar strings, creating a continuous melody. Maybe part of the fact the melody sounded so beautiful was because he was playing an acoustic, but I still loved it. I don't know many musicians so Gerard is special.

I didn't know he finished playing until I felt a tap on my shoulder. I opened my eyes, blinking a few times.

"Lilly, I made that for you," he stated, gazing into my eyes.

I opened my mouth in the shape of an 'o' for lack of words. Holy crap! No one's ever made a song for me before! That's really sweet of him. I cleared my throat, smiling at him. "Oh, uh, thank you Gerard, but I have to go. I'm sorry. I'll see you tomorrow."

He scrunched his eyebrows as he placed his guitar down. I ran out the door of his room and of his house before he could tell me bye, have a good night, or any of those sayings.

When I reached home, I sprinted up to my room and closed the door. What the hell just happened? Did he just tell me he wrote music that was inspired by me?

I scrounged throughout my room, trying to remember where I placed Erik's guitar pick last. I found it stuck in a book I read a few weeks ago. I kissed it, thinking about Erik. Gerard…he reminds me of Erik. It was mainly because they both play guitar. The way Gerard played his guitar; it reminded me of how Erik plays. Erik always told me either you play with all your heart or don’t play at all. I witnessed Gerard playing with all his heart back there. I’ve seen Erik play his enough to know when someone plays because of the inspiration or not. I held my chest where my heartbeat was speeding. Something was missing. I touched at my neck noticing I left my scarf at his house. Crap.