Disease

nineteen

Oli obsessively walked up and down the concrete stairs that led to the flat he and Afton shared, his breath coming out in nervous bursts. He held the small black box in his shaking hand, red from the cold. His lip rings clicked against the bottoms of his chattering teeth. His eyes averted to a noise and he looked up to see Afton standing in the door way. A light breeze blew her hair against her collarbone and her eyes were rimmed with a dark purple shadow. She had her arms crossed over small chest, her attire consisting merely of a loose wife beater and a pair of red girl briefs.

"Aye Af," Oli swallowed, "What're yeh doin' out 'ere dressed like that? Yer gonna get a chill."

She coughed quietly, "Well get in 'ere then. Yeh left like three 'ours ago an' now yer just walkin' up and down them damn stairs. Is everythin' alright?"

"O'course everythin's alright." He grinned slightly, stuffing the box in his pocket as nonchalantly as he possibly could, "'ts just nice out."

"It's snowin', Love."

"Right well," He laughed, meeting Afton in the doorway, "I like it."

"Yer always whinin' 'bout the snow."

Oli placed a hand on each of Afton's hips and guided her inside, out of the cold. He kissed her softly on the forehead and kicked the door closed. He then pressed his lips to Afton's cheek and rested his head against her's. He felt her hands wrap tightly around his waist, like she was protecting him.

"Ols, babe. Yeh sure yer okay?"

"'m fine Love," Oli promised, looking down at her, "Yeh wanna watch a movie?"

"Sure."

"I'll get blankets out of the closet. Yeh pick out the movie."

"Okay!"

Oli watched as Afton scampered off towards their bedroom. As she turned the corner, he quickly pulled some blankets out of the closet and tossed them onto the couch. He then pulled the small box out of his pocket and opened it. He knew Afton didn't care much for diamonds, so he'd gotten her an emerald on a silver band. He pulled the small ring completely out of the box and held it up against the light, making sure the message was correctly inscribed on it.

11/8/07-forever

The bedroom door clicked shut and Afton's voice came into the living room, "Aye Ols, do we 'ave any popcorn?"

Startled, Oli jumped in the air and his hands became clumsy, letting the ring fall out of his palm and hit the ground. He tried his hardest to keep his eyes on it, but lost track of the green gem as it rolled under the couch.

"Shit!" He yelled loudly, then clutched the ends of his hair and began whispering, "Shit. Shit. Shit. Shitshitshit."

"Yeh okay?"

Oli turned to Afton, who had her back to him, her arms elbow deep in the cupboard searching for snacks, "Um yeah, 'm fine. Just dropped meh key is all."

"Well, pick it up." She laughed.

"Right." He said, dropping to the ground and lowering his voice, "Just pick it up." He shoved the velvet box back into his pocket and peered under the couch. But, it was too dark to see a thing. He reached in his pocket and pulled out his mobile, shining the light on the carpet. His eyes scanned under the couch, only spotting a few dust bunnies and some coins.

"Oh!" Afton shrieked, as boxes of tea and popcorn came tumbling out of the cupboard, hitting the ground.

Oli dropped his phone and looked up quickly, hitting the side of his head on the corner of the coffee table, "Aye fuck! Yeh alright Af?"

"Yeah," She laughed, holding up boxes of tea, "I found the tea yer mum gave us last summer."

He rolled his eyes, rubbing his head, "That's wonderful."

She tore open a package of popcorn and put the bag in the microwave, turning it on. Oliver leaned over again and hit a button on his mobile, lighting up underneath the couch once more. Afton crept over quietly and stood over Oli.

"What key did yeh drop?"

"Huh?" Oli paused, "Oh erm. The one teh the Drop Dead garage I think."

Afton leaned over, seeing the car key sticking out of Oliver's back pocket. She tugged on it and pulled it out the ring of keys, which held the house key, car key, and Oli's Drop Dead key, "Oli, babe. They're all right 'ere in yer pocket."

"Oh erm, maybe I dropped somethin' else then. I 'eard it fall."

"Well don't worry 'bout it. Let's watch the movie an' we'll look for it later."

"I need it though."

"Yeh don't even know what the 'ell yeh dropped. Why do yeh need it so bad?"

"'Cause I just do. If I don't find it now, I'll forget about it."

"Doll," She laughed, straddling him and sitting on his back, "Come on, I'll remind yeh after the movie."

Oli tried to shake thoughts of Afton being only a shirt and underwear away from completely naked while sitting on his back and bit his lip, "I can't. I 'ave teh find it now."

The beeper to the microwave sounded and Afton removed herself from Oliver and walked over to the kitchen, pulling the back out of the microwave. She looked over at him, only his bum peeking out from the top of the coffee table, his boxers hanging out of the top of his too tight jeans and smiled softly. She then pulled a bowl out from the cabinet and poured the popcorn in it, putting a couple pieces in her mouth and then setting it on the coffee table. She peered down at Oli again, laughing.

"What're yeh gigglin' 'bout?"

"Why can't we just look fer it later?"

"'Cause."

"Well, yer not gonna find it like that. Let's move the couch."

Oli looked up at her, again doing his best not to tear off her clothes and nodded, "Okay."

He stood up and they both took one end of the couch, tugging it away from the wall, leaving a patch of their carpet uncovered. There were all sorts of things covering the floor, ranging from crisps to scraps of paper and coins, all coated with dust.

"Aye, that's nasty."

Oli laughed, "It is."

He quickly looked around the other side of the couch, still not seeing the ring. He got down on his knees again and shoved the couch further away from the wall, combing the ground with his hands, hoping to come across it.

"What the 'ell did yeh 'ave in yer pockets?"

"Why does that matter?"

"Well, 'cause then we might know what we're lookin' for."

"I don't remember."

"Oli, is this some kind of game?" Afton asked, on the verge of being irritated.

"No, it ain't a fuckin' game."

"Yeh don't need teh snap at meh."

"Sorry, 'm just pissed I dropped it."

"Dropped what?"

"Nothin'," He groaned, leaning against the back of the couch and closing his eyes, "Fuck!" He suddenly yelled, making Afton jump.

"Oli, what the 'ell is wrong with yeh?"

He opened his eyes to answer her. His plans completely ruined. He'd have to propose to her without the gorgeous ring that he bought her, the only one he knew she'd like. It wouldn't be a surprise to her, because she'd already know. Oliver sighed again, ready to curse up another storm, but held himself back in fear of startling Afton again.

"Nothin' ever fuckin' works out right."

"What are yeh talkin' 'bout?" She said quietly, sitting down next to him and looking at the side of his face, "We were gonna watch a movie, 'm sorry if yeh wanted teh look right away--"

"No, 'ts not that."

"Then what is it?"

Oli looked over at Afton, her long hair falling over her chest, a complete tangled mess, so dark against her pale skin and her round eyes staring up at him underneath a full layer of eyelashes. He did his best not to look down at her legs, as he knew he'd have to hold himself back again.

"I won't get mad at yeh Ols, what's wrong?"

"I didn't do nothin' wrong," He sighed, "I just. That thing I fuckin' dropped."

"What was it?"

Oli turned away from Afton, not wanting to do this the wrong way. He had no ring, he was covered in dust, with crisps pressed against his jeans, and he was now in a sour mood. He chewed on his lip ring, trying to buy himself some time when he caught sight of the vent.

"The fuckin' vent!" He yelled again, "The vent! I'll bet it fell down there!"

He quickly scrambled over to the vent and used his fingers to pry it open, peering down inside. Afton looked at him, completely puzzled, but said nothing. He'd found what he was looking for, and that meant he was done being irritated.

"Is it down there?"

Oli's stomach dropped as he realized the ring wasn't sitting there. He shoved his hand down in the vent, curling his arm down the small pipe and felt around. He tapped something, sending it crashing into the side of the vent.

"I think I found it." He grinned.

He carefully tapped the ring again, making it move closer to the curve of the pipe and picked the ring up by the overly large gem and pulled his hand towards the top of the vent. As he pulled it up, his wrist got stuck, the ring still clenched in his hand.

"Oli, why don't yeh pull yer 'and out?"

He swallowed roughly, "Meh 'and is fuckin' stuck."

"Funny Oli."

He looked at her and smirked, "'m not kiddin' Af."

"Well, tug on it."

Oli pulled on his arm, "Ow fuck!"

"What?" Afton cried, "Yeh okay?"

"Yeah, 'm fine. Just somethin' in 'ere is a bit sharp is all."

"Is it cuttin' yeh?"

"Kinda." Oli paused, grimacing as he tugged on his arm, "But 'ts alright."

"Oli, just leave it in there, 'm sure it's not that important."

"No, I got teh get it out," He paused, pulling his arm again,"Fuck meh."

Afton watched as Oli closed his eyes tight and tugged even harder on his arm. He stopped and looked down at his forearm, which was bleeding.

"Ols, stop it."

"Just 'ang on."

"Just let go of it."

He turned to Afton and snapped at her, "It don't matter if I pull it out er not. Either way, meh arm is still stuck and 'm gonna 'ave teh pull meh arm out. So I ain't lettin' go of it."

Afton rolled her eyes, but kept her focus on Oli's arm. One more harsh tug sent Oli's hand flying out of the vent, blood covering his hand and a deep gash in the middle of his forearm.

"God damn, that fuckin' 'urt."

"Come on, let's go clean that up." Afton sighed, standing up and brushing off her knees. Oli watched as she walked away, the red underwear hanging loosely off her small thighs. His heart began beating faster than necessary.

"Are yeh comin'?" Afton yelled from the bathroom, pulling open the cabinet.

"Aye, yeah 'm comin'."

Oli stood to his feet and walked into the bathroom. He sat down on the counter and held the ring clamped in his hand. Afton looked down at it and shook her head. Blood was dripping between his fingers and down his forearm, leaking towards his elbow.

"I dunno why yeh shoved yer 'and in there. What the 'ell were yeh pullin' out?" She asked, grabbing Oli's wrist and turning on the sink.

"Whoa! Yeh can't put meh arm in there."

"Why not?"

Oli opened up his hand, the ring set in the center of his palm, covered completely in blood, only a shimmer of silver shining from the light in the bathroom. Afton peered down at it and looked up at Oliver, her mouth unable to form words.

"I really want yeh teh marry meh Af. I love yeh. I know the ring is a bit nasty and covered in blood." He chuckled nervously, "I'd wash it off for yeh, but 'm afraid I'll drop it down the drain."

Oli lifted his eyes to meet Afton's. They were fixated on the ring on his hand. She reached for it and picked it up, and held it under the running water in the sink. As the blood came off of it, all Oli could do was watch and wonder what she was thinking. Once the ring was free of blood, Afton slipped it onto her finger and peered at herself in the mirror.

Tears poured out of the corners of her eyes, her vision blurred while her reflection started to haze. Oliver just looked at her, smiling in a way he hadn't in months as thoughts of the weeks to come clouded his mind.
♠ ♠ ♠
I really hope this chapter earns some more of your guy's lovely comments. :D