Everybody's Singing Like They're Crazy In Love

Chapter 19

We had all just finished eating our meals when Kara nudged me under the table, I looked at her and she pointed towards the door. I froze, I couldn’t move a muscle. I didn’t know what to do, of all people that could be standing at the door she was. What was she doing here? Why was she back in town? And why was she standing in the middle of the café trying to find someone. I had a gut feeling that this wasn’t going to be good. I could practically see it already. I watched her as she spotted Alex, I knew this was too good to be true. She walked over to him, identifying him with the beanie on his head. He hadn’t seen her yet, so I just watched and waited for his reaction.

She stopped beside him and cleared her throat. He turned and looked at her and jumped back in his seat, causing Jack to piss himself laughing.
“Uh, Alex. Hi, can I please speak to you for a minute?” She asked in her pathetic, one toned high pitched voice.
“Uh, I suppose, what do you need to talk to me about?” He asked, not caving in automatically like I thought he would.
“Can we move to another booth, it’s kind of serious?” She asked pleadingly.
“Yeah, sure. Where ever.” He said standing and following her led. I spoke too soon, didn’t I?

Once he walked away with her and sat down with her, the feelings that I had 6 months ago slowly began to return. I didn’t know what to think of this, all of a sudden the life I had built here, all seemed to not matter anymore. It’s as if it never happened, and that Courtney has this hold on all of us and our life. I just didn’t believe it, of all people to come to town, it was her. I hadn’t seen her smile since I told her to leave; she looked like a mess though.

She looked sick; she’s certainly lost an incredible amount of weight. She kind of looks, lost. She lost everything the day she left town, and I’m still glad that it was me that made her leave.
“What the fuck?” Jack exclaimed turning back around from looking at their conversation.
“I really don’t get it, all of a sudden she’s back, talking to Alex. And I feel as though nothing that’s happened in the past 6 months could change in an instant. I’m scared. I don’t want to lose Alex. Ever.” I said.
“Holly, you have nothing to worry about, Alex loves you. He’s not going to trade his girlfriend and all his friends to get back with her, he’d seriously be mentally retarded if he did” Zack said comforting me slightly.
“What do you think she’s come back for?” Katie asked, the question playing on everyone’s lips.
“I don’t really want to say it, but I guess were all thinking that she might be pregnant” Rian said speaking what everyone else was thinking.
“I don’t think she’s pregnant, she’d be showing, I think she’s sick. Like really sick. Look at her. She actually looks horrible.” I replied with a slight smile on my face.

After about fifteen minutes, Courtney got up out of the booth, thanked Alex and left. She didn’t make any eye contact with any of us, just left. Alex made his way over towards the table and asked for me to come with him. I told the guys that I’d call them later and followed him out. We got into his car and he drove towards our houses. He cut off the car and walked into his own, he still hadn’t spoken a word and I was beginning to get a bit worried as to what Courtney had said exactly. And why the hell had it affected Alex so badly.

Alex made his way into his room and laid down onto his bed. I laid down next to him, waiting ever so patiently for him to speak without me pushing the topic; I really couldn’t understand what Courtney would’ve said to make his mood swing like this.

I moved in closer and put my chin on his shoulder slowly wrapping my arm around his waist. He looked into my eyes, I noticed the ever bright spark in his dark brown orbs had disappeared and they looked like big black holes. I was beginning to freak out and what was about to be said.

“Holly, Courtney has cancer. She has about 2 months to live. And she needs someone to look after her for those 2 months. And she wants that person to be me” He spoke, slightly making me jump. I took in everything he said. Trying to make sense of the odd arrival of her and the karma involved with what she has. Although I don’t wish anything like that on anyone, she had something coming for her. But I didn’t think it would be so serious.

“I don’t know what to say, you know how I feel about her. I’d like to tell you not too, but I know I can’t stop you from doing what you want. I honestly don’t have anything to say Alex. I can’t make this decision for you. But I’d be saying no, if it was up to me. I don’t like her, never have, never will” I said, completely and utterly shocked at the absurd surprise that this had given me. And the unfamiliar feeling in my stomach was slowly returning.

“So you’re not even going to giver her a chance, talk to her and sort everything out. Put the past, in the past and help me, help her?” Alex asked already frustrated with me.
“Why should I have to give her a chance, better yet why should I have to care that she’s dying. Yeah it’s bad and it sucks, but she’s done nothing that gives me a positive feeling about her. She tore you pieces and I can’t help but think if she were to die, and you got attached that you’d be a wreck again.”

“So that’s it, you want me to make a decision based on the fact that you don’t like, don’t trust her and don’t want me to get attached to her” He replied.
“Yes, and if you can honestly make a decision like that I’ll support you” I replied.

“Holly, that’s a bit unfair and you know it, I don’t know what to do with myself and I certainly don’t want to spoil what we have, we have the best relationship I’ve ever had in my life and means a lot to me. But so does looking after someone who needs it, Courtney wouldn’t have come back here if she wasn’t being serious. I need you to understand that I’d be doing this for myself, not for her” He replied.

“Is that supposed to make me feel better, that you want to do it for yourself and not her. Alex you can’t deny that you still have a soft spot for her, that’s completely understandable. But based on what she did to you and the affect that she has on you, makes me question how it will actually turn out.” I said.

“Well then what do you want me to do, I can’t make the decision based on what I want to do, and if I do it for her you’ll get even more angry. So it looks like you’ve already made my decision for me.” He replied bitterly.

“Nice Alex, now you want to play the guilt trip with me. Seriously, if you want to help her, go for it. I don’t control you Alex and I don’t want to. But you must see this from my point of view. She tore you to the core. I’m not telling you to make a decision on what I think either, that’s just my opinion. What you chose to do is completely up to you. I’m just trying to lead you in the right direction.” I explained, fed up with even having this conversation.

I decided that I’d go see her, if anything I could get a full grip on what she was going through and would hopefully get rid of the feeling that she’s lying.
♠ ♠ ♠
So BAM! I guess this might have come as a shock to most of you. But this sets me up for the last 10-15 chapters of my story :)
There are a few more surprises up my sleeve and you'll find out when I get a few more comments!
Lots of love and thanks for reading!