Your Eyes Shine Like The Stars At Night

Scarlett's Gift

Image

“Why is your house so cold?” I whined, cuddling closer to Jack. I had gone back to his house to spend the night, and we were sprawled across his couch, watching reruns of whatever Christmas specials were airing on television with a thick, blue blanket draped over us.

“Because it’s winter and my heater is fucked up…?” Jack chuckled, tightening his grip around my torso. I leaned back into him, feeling his fingers run up the front of my shirt, brushing against my stomach. “But don’t worry,” he assured, “I’ll keep you warm.” He kissed my ear softly, nuzzling his nose into my neck. I sighed contentedly, closing my eyes.

“I love you,” he whispered in my ear.

“I love you too,” I replied quietly. I turned around, sitting in front of him, straddling his waist and kissing him hard on the lips. I felt his lips curve into a smile against my own as he wrapped his arms around my waist. My fingers played with his hair, making it stick up in different directions.

“The blanket’s all twisted now,” Jack chuckled breathlessly. I smirked at him, ripping it off our bodies and tossing it to the floor, returning my lips to his.

He cupped my face his hands while I rubbed his chest. “Wait,” I breathed, “Not on the couch.”

Jack smiled, taking my hand and leading me to his bedroom.

-------

Something soft landed on my skin, and I finally opened my eyes, seeing Jack’s face retreating from my shoulder where he’d kissed.

“Morning, beautiful,” he murmured softly.

“Morning.” I pulled his head down, kissing his lips. “Last night was…”

“Amazing?” he finished with a smug grin.

I laughed, nodding. “I think that’s the word I was looking for.”

“You’re glowing,” he chuckled.

I couldn’t help but smile as I shoved him playfully. “You love it.”

“That I do.” He kissed my forehead, spontaneously scooping me up into his arms and carrying me downstairs in my bra and underwear.

“What are you doing?!”

“Taking my beautiful girlfriend out to breakfast.”

“Naked?!” I screeched, wriggling out of his grasp.

“You’re not completely naked,” he defended.

I rolled my eyes, running back up the steps to get some clothes on.

When I came back downstairs, I saw Jack had changed as well; where he got his clothes from without going into his bedroom, I had no idea.

-------

I slowly chewed and gulped down the waffle I’d ordered, noticing Jack’s watchful eye on me as I ate. “Take a picture,” I said sarcastically.

“I’m just…making sure you’re being careful, is all,” he shrugged, cutting off a piece of his pancake.

“I am,” I nodded. “I’ve been doing a lot better, since…you know…” I trailed off.

“I know you have. I’m proud of you, too.” He gave me a reassuring smile. “But I know a lot of people can just fall back into it, and I don’t want to see you get sick again. Seeing you faint and everything…” he shook his head, not finishing that sentence. “I just, don‘t want to see it again.”

“Thanks, Jack.”

His face suddenly brightened, for no reason that I was aware of. “The pancakes here are fucking fantastic! Try a bite!” I shook my head, denying his offer. “Do it!” he ordered.

I giggled, but still shook my head no.

“I’ll make you,” he warned, raising his eyebrows.

“I have my own waffle, though. Trust me, I believe you one hundred percent when you say the pancakes are good.”

“But you won’t really, really know until you actually try one for yourself!” I sighed, still refusing. He shook his head ruefully, stabbing a piece of the pancake with his fork. “You’re making me do this, you know. I just want you to know that it hurts me more than it will hurt you.”

He shot the fork into my mouth, forcing me to try the pancake. I swallowed it, trying not to choke from laughter. “You asshole!” I chuckled.

“I had to do it! I couldn’t take knowing the fact that I was enjoying such a delicious breakfast and not sharing!”

I rolled my eyes. “Whatever.”

“By the way, we’re going ice skating after this, just so you know,” he mentioned nonchalantly.

“I can’t ice skate! I can barely walk without falling down!”

He just laughed. “Yeah, you’re pretty clumsy.”

-------

My paranoia was eating me alive. Was the ice thick enough? Would I break a leg? Was there a first-aid kit on hand somewhere? Were my skate laces tight enough? I tugged and tightened my laces until the strings wouldn’t pull any further, checking every last possible hazard. Glancing forward, I saw Jack’s foot impatiently tapping on the cement.

“Done yet?”

“No! I don’t think it’s tight enough. One might slip off, you never kn-”

Just then, Jack grabbed my hands, forcefully pulling me off the bench, causing me to fall into him. “I got you,” he chuckled, grabbing my waist.

I stumbled, flailing my arms to balance my weight. “Jack, this was a terrible idea,” I stammered, focusing on my feet.

“No it isn’t; you never try anything new. So this is actually a great idea,” he smirked.

Slipping his arm around my waist, he slowly guided me around the smooth, icy surface. “See? You’re not so bad at it.”

I finally smiled, allowing Jack full control of where we went, considering I couldn’t stay upright without his help. He slid behind me, holding each side of my waist with his hands, pushing me forward with him. “Don’t freak out,” he whispered in my ear.

“Freak out? About what?” I asked frantically.

I got my answer when he thrusted me forward, letting go. “JACK!” I screeched, nearly running into an eight year-old.

“Just turn your body,” he called out. I squeezed my eyes shut, doing as I was told. Before I knew it, I was back on the track, skating on my own.

Jack skidded to a stop at my side, grabbing my shoulder and stopping me as well. “Told you, you could do it,” he smirked triumphantly.

I chuckled, rolling my eyes. “I couldn’t have without you throwing me into a little kid.”

He gasped. “It was tough love! You weren’t going to skate on your own unless I made you. And that kid was a good skater; he knew to get out of the way.”

I kissed his lips, and he pulled me into him. “I love you, so much.”

“I love you too, Scarlett. More than you’ll ever know.”
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter is the last chapter :( This is almost finished.

Comment/subscribe, please? I'd appreciate it!! :)

Follow me on Twitter and Tumblr! :D That's my new NEW Tumblr URL. Not planning on changing it again for a long, looooong, time, so sorry if it caused any confusion by my constant changing!