Status: Completed!

Living with a Heartache

Chapter Twenty-Four: Prom Night 1

Brian’s POV

“Man, you’re wearing that to the prom?” Patrick stared in disbelief as he saw me in my red and black striped shirt and jeans.

“Um, I have no date, thus I need no suit,” I shrugged. Patrick tried to reach for a tuna sandwich as I swatted his hand away.

“It was ONE sandwich! Let me have another one, please. I’m starving,” Patrick begged. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the bowl away from him. Patrick punched my shoulder as I smirked, helping myself to a sandwich.

“Could Mrs. Lindy be any slower? I need to go check out my date. FAST!” Patrick muttered as he picked on his pants.

“Ah, I see you’re erotically charged to see Penelope. You horny asshole,” I laughed as Patrick gave me a death glare and muttered a mouthful of profanities that required me to do something virtually impossible with my penis.

I heard the tearing and ripping of fabric from inside the room where Mrs. Lindy was doing Alex’s make-up and touching up her dress. I played with the bread crumbs which lay scattered over the table. The hole in me was eating me up, I was about to send off the girl I liked and allow her to fall in love with another guy. My stomach was lurching in a way which made me shiver all over the place.

Over the span of 2 days since Patrick found out that about how I felt towards Alex, we started to hang out a lot. I was present with Jessica and her boyfriend for their band rehearsals. As much as I hated being there, watching Alex sing and be herself, I couldn’t help but watch. I was addicted to her voice, addicted to her eyes. But she knew nothing, it was frustrating- I desperately wanted her to know that she was the one for me. I wondered if she felt that pulsing need I felt when I was with her, could she see the struggle in myself not to let myself go?

“Don’t look so tense man, it’s gonna be okay,” Patrick finally said. I looked up at him and down at my palms- I had managed to grind the bread crumbs into saw dust in my thinking.

“How do you know? You’ve got Penelope falling all over you and not over some other guy,” I muttered. I was jealous of Patrick and Penelope, it was love at first sight for them. It was so easy, compared to what I was feeling here.

“Chill Brian. When she comes out of there, you’re gonna be so blown away by her hotness that you’re going to feel happy for her at the prom. You will feel happy that she’s happy, you’ll know when’s the time to actually just tell her,” Patrick replied. I gulped and looked down at my jeans.

“You look like a freaking stalker if you’re gonna wear that to the prom, I’ll go get the extra black coat I saw in my room,” Patrick said as he dashed up and grabbed whatever he wanted me to wear. He was out in a flash and tossed me a suit jacket. Just as I was going to make a sarcastic comment about his gesture, there was a great bustling sound from Mrs. Lindy’s room and out came the old lady and a girl with shiny black locks. I didn’t recognize her; she was wearing an off-the-shoulder red dress and was matched with a pair of red and black heels.

“Hey Pat, hey Brian,” she greeted. That voice was familiar; it was deep and raspy yet harmonic.

“Well Well Brian O Brian, I thought you said you didn’t have a date,” Patrick smirked as he sauntered up to the girl. I grabbed his shoulder, “but I don’t have a date,” I whispered to him.

“Holy Cow, Alex is that you?” Patrick screamed, practically leaping into my arms. I blinked twice, staring at Alex who was staring in front of us.

“Let’s go,” she smirked as she shoved both of us out the door. She was amazingly strong for someone in a dress and heels.

Alex’s POV

I watched their faces as I stepped out of the room after 2 long hours. Mrs. Lindy had brushed, painted, curled, bronzed, eye-lined almost everything on my face. I must have looked different, because Patrick screamed when he saw me and Brian looked slack-jawed.

As the two boys stumbled out into the streets, I took my time to slowly evaluate what they were wearing. Patrick was wearing a tuxedo, and it was 6 p.m in the evening. So the chilly winds were starting to blow in and cooling him as he didn’t seem to be breaking out into a frenzy sweat war.

I turned my eyes towards Brian, who seemed to freeze as he felt my eyes scoop over him. I bit my lip as I watched him as he tried not to notice me looking. He looked handsome, for someone not in proper prom attire. He had on a tuxedo suit with a black and red stripped shirt underneath and was wearing his usual jeans and sneakers. His green eyes were swimming in a sea of murky confusion as he stared at the ground. Suddenly, I did something I wouldn’t have done ever. I didn’t know why but it seemed like my hands had a mind of their own as they reached out and grabbed his hands.

I pulled myself closer to him as I felt Brian tense up under my grip as he paled and looked at me. Patrick’s eyes grew wide as he tried not to notice what I was doing and busied himself by fixing his tie. I looked up at him and smiled- I was suddenly lifted up from where I used to stand because of my clunky heels and it was easier to look up into Brian’s eyes.

“C’mon, you can be my escort to school seeing how you’re gonna be alone for the whole prom,” I smiled as I pulled him forward. I knew this was driving myself and Brian way off course in our ‘friends’ relationship but I couldn’t help it. It pained me to see him standing alone while everyone had a dance partner and was waltzing away into the night. He didn’t deserve to be alone for a night where we got to enjoy ourselves. He should be dancing with a beautiful girl; I didn’t understand why he was all alone. Unless of course, someone he liked a lot got asked out before him and thus shattering his heart. But who?

I racked my brains as we walked hand in hand along the gravel road until the school came up in front of us. Patrick was sauntering behind us, keeping silent all the way. Until Penelope and Jessica came into view.

Penelope looked stunning as her legs stood out in a perky yellow dress which reached just to her knees. The dress was perfect on her as she smiled at Patrick, whose jaw dropped when he saw her. She cluttered over to Patrick clumsily and almost fell if not for Patrick who caught her right in time. I smiled at them as my eyes wandered over to Jessica whose mouth dropped open when she saw me.

Jessica was in a Marylyn Monroe inspired dress which brought out her vibrant hair colour and her heels were white with playful buttons stitched at the side.

“Man, I never thought I’d say this but you and Brian make a good couple,” she whispered in my ear. I hastily let go of his hand as he smiled a weak smile.

“I…” I didn’t know what to say. Part of me wanted to say ‘yeah, we do don’t we’ but I knew it couldn’t be. Because he would never like such a clumsy, loud-mouthed person like me.

Right?