Boy Like Me.

Thirty-Five

"Morning Mr. Burke," Liam said as the front door of the house opened. "Merry Christmas." He added and Benjamin smiled warmly holding a cup of hot chocolate in his hands. His eyes drifted over to Rahne and widened.

"Liam, what's going on?" Benjamin asked his eyes never leaving Rahne for a second. She stood still under his gaze and smiled weakly at him. Liam turned his attention to Rahne as well and sighed softly.

"This is Rahne Harvey," Liam responded and Benjamin's mouth fell open slowly. "She's Ryan's younger sister." Rahne nodded her head stiffly and the older man placed his mug down on the small table beside the door. He walked out in his fuzzy blue slippers and matching blue robe. His eyes studied Rahne for a moment. Shaking his head in disbelief thinking it was all just a dream.

"I can't believe it," Benjamin gasped rubbing his eyes. He laughed lightly and looked at Liam for a few moments. "You actually found her. Rahne, you look good." He smiled at her and Rahne laughed lightly.

"Thank you." She nodded her head. Benjamin bobbed his head up and down still not believing his own eyes. Liam smiled and licked his lips remembering why they had come to Benjamin in the first place.

"We need your help," Liam stated causing both sets of eyes to look over at him. "Ryan, where is he?" Liam asked and Benjamin sighed shaking his head. He wasn't sure where he was anymore. After he had run him off from his parent's gravesite, he didn't know where to look. Ryan had been missing for four days now and it had been hard on everyone.

"I can't tell you Liam," Benjamin said sullenly a frown slipping onto his face. Liam flinched not liking those words and Rahne furrowed her brows. "I wish I could, I really don't know where he is. Ryan may not ever come back." Benjamin admitted softly, but it hit Liam hard in the heart. His mind couldn't even comprehend those words.

Where would Ryan even go? He still had so much to do and running away wouldn't solve any of it. Sure, he could get away for a little while, but what was the point if it would catch up with him again. Liam tried to think of where he could have gone, but nothing came to mind.

"Well we're going to look." Liam said and Rahne looked at him. Benjamin smiled warmly and nodded his head once.

"I'll help you." Benjamin offered.

"Do you have any idea as to where we should start?" Rahne asked and Benjamin rubbed the bottom of his chin.

"If I know Ryan, he'll be at your old house. Brentwood." Benjamin said looking at Liam.

"That neighborhood on the east side?" Liam asked.

"Yes, check the park." Benjamin explained and Liam nodded turning to Rahne. She smiled at him and Liam gestured for her to follow. At least now they had somewhere to look rather than not knowing anything at all.

&&&

An hour later Liam pulled the truck up to the Brentwood Park. The neighborhood was huge; it was the name of a huge area when it really had ten other neighbor hoods inside of it.

There were several sets of metal swing sets, benches scattered around the area, a huge wooden jungle gym, and a black fence with a pool behind it. Behind the jungle gym where the basketball and tennis ball courts and to the right of those was a huge grass field with bleachers on either side. Liam's eyes drifted from the sports fields and over to the swings. Under a huge oak tree were some picnic tables and bar-b-que pits.

"Wow this is huge, where do we start?" Rahne asked breaking the silence between them. There was no one at the park; everyone was probably still having brunch. Not to mention it was rather cold to be outside.

"Right there." Liam pointed straight across to a covered area with a low concrete wall. On the far side of the covered area a guy's back was faced to them. Rahne stared at the person sitting still. Their head hung between their shoulders and the sun's rays were on them.

"That's Ryan?" Rahne asked a smile forming onto her face. Liam looked to the blonde girl standing beside him and nodded happily. She started walking down the concrete sidewalk the snow crunching under her feet. Liam watched her brushing his hair out of his eyes. She walked under the covered area and Liam reached for his cellphone to make a quick call to Benjamin.

Rahne stopped walking. She was only a few steps away from him, but then it occurred what would she say to him? The cold air caused her to shiver; she could at least ask him to join her for a coffee. Looking back over at Liam she found him dialing a number into his phone. It was now or never. Ryan still hadn't heard her. Rahne bit the corner of her lip and started walking again. She slowly lifted up her hand and reached for his shoulder. When her fingers gently touched his shoulders Ryan's head lifted. Rahne moved her hand back down to her side and Ryan glanced over his shoulder.

"I'm fine miss." Ryan said in a scratchy voice. Rahne furrowed her brows and climbed over the concrete wall sitting down beside him.

"Why are you all alone on Christmas day?" Rahne asked brushing a lock of hair behind her ear.

"I have no one. I messed up with my best friend, the closet thing to a father figure I yelled at, and my sister is somewhere out there in the world and I can't help her." Ryan said softly shaking his head. Rahne frowned at his words and noticed some tear stains on his cheeks.

"That's not true." Rahne told him. Ryan turned to fully look at her; he studied her face and his mouth slowly opened.

"You're...who are you?" Ryan asked a little breathlessly.

"She's your sister, Ryan." Liam said from behind. Both of the siblings turned around. He had his hands stuffed in his pocket, hair in his eyes, and the hood of his jacket over his head. Ryan stood up and backed away from both of them. A hand covered his mouth as Rahne stared at him. She licked her lips and nodded her head.

"Rahne?" Ryan shook his head in disbelief.

"It's me, Ry-Ry." Rahne said using the nickname she used to call him.

"How do you remember that nickname for me?" Ryan asked her.

"My parents, well foster parents, showed me some of my stuff from before the accident." Rahne explained standing up from the concrete wall. Her brother had tears in his eyes and shook his head. She swallowed hard looking to the ground for a moment and then to Ryan.

"I'm sorry." Ryan apologized and Rahne shook her head.

"You're my brother no matter what." Rahne said and Ryan let his tears fall as his sister ran to him. She tightly hugged him and Ryan hugged her back.

Liam smiled. After all these years they had finally been reunited. Rahne was crying now as well, but Ryan told her everything would be okay. He gently patted her back and rocked them from side to side. Liam was so happy for them. Letting out a soft breath he started backing away to give them their privacy.

When he got to the parking lot he opened up the truck door and sat down. Benjamin had told him he was on his way over. Liam didn't know what was going to happen now. Would Ryan go with the Harvey family or would he stay with Benjamin? Then he wondered if Ryan would talk to him. Liam closed the door of the truck hoping to keep in some warmth. Out of the windshield he could see Ryan and Rahne still hugging. They slowly parted and Ryan shook his head saying something to her. She smiled at him and pulled him into another big hug.

Through the corner of his eye Liam saw Benjamin's black car pull up. He smiled and climbed back out into the cold. The snow crunched under his boots as he walked to the other side of the car. Benjamin opened his door and leaned against it a smile on his face when he saw Ryan and Rahne. His eyes drifted over to Liam who stood beside him watching the scene as well.

"You, Liam, are by far the best thing that has ever happened to Ryan." Benjamin said. Liam laughed lightly looking to Benjamin. The man took in a deep breath and slowly let it out.

"He's a good guy," Liam nodded his head. "A real good one." Benjamin smiled at Liam agreeing wholeheartedly.

"Thank you." Benjamin spoke as his eyes watched the two siblings talking.

"I think you have everything under control here." Liam said and Benjamin nodded.

"Are you leaving?" Benjamin questioned as Liam started walking for the truck. He stopped and turned around to Benjamin smiling warmly. "He's still your friend Liam." Benjamin assured him and Liam looked back over at the happy family.

"Of course." Liam waved and quickly climbed into the truck. Putting the keys into the ignition the engine roared to life. Benjamin waved back at Liam as the teen started to back out of the parking space. His eyes drifted back over to the siblings and he noticed Ryan watching as Liam drove away. The truck turned back out onto the road and started to shrink in the distance.

Ryan owed Liam, more than he owed anyone.