Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 18

I woke up the next day about late afternoon to find Arriana’s bed empty and the curtains drawn. Hauling myself up off the floor I grabbed the towels Bella had left out for me and went into the bathroom to take a shower. It was nice to find my black-haired-regrowth-free reflection staring back at me after I wiped the steamy fog off the bathroom mirror. I breathed in a sigh of relief, much better. I wrapped myself in a towel and then went into Arriana’s room to get dressed.

As I left Arriana’s room I could hear the soft tune from a guitar and followed it to the lounge room. Arriana was sitting on the sofa, her guitar perched in her lap. Joey sat across from her, listening intently. I decided to stay where I was, standing in the doorway. The scene looked too intimate to interrupt.

Joey’s eyes were fixed on Arriana’s, giving her a look of total love and care. Arriana stared back into his, a loving smile on her face. As Arriana finished playing, Joey looked up and saw me standing in the doorway.

“Oh, hey Jackie” he said brightly.
“Hey Joey” I replied.
“Come sit” he asked.

I went over and sat down next to him, Arriana started up on her guitar again, playing the same tune she’d been playing before.

“What’s that?” I asked.
“Oh, nothing really, just something I made up” she replied.
“Got any lyrics?” I questioned.
“Nah, I’m an instrumental kinda person, singing’s not really my thing” she said, continuing to play.

I listened in silence for awhile, taking in the melody. After awhile, I began to hum along with the music, warming up my voice while waiting for some lyrics to float into my head. Sure enough, words came to mind, and I began to sing;

“Chills run down my spine, every time I see your eyes locked upon mine, these feelings I keep inside, what is it that I am trying to hide?”

Joey smiled, and Arriana continued to play.

“I should just tell you, the complete and utter truth, cuz hiding these feelings from you, is something I cannot continue to do, I must say, I must speak, I must tell you what you mean to me” I sang, finishing right in time with Arriana.

“That was nice” she said.
“Yeah, it was” agreed Joey.
“Thanks” I smiled.

Arriana glared at me, with a smirk on her face.

“What?” I snapped quietly, enough to keep Joey from hearing me. He’d turned away now, playing with his phone.
“Two guesses who those lyrics were inspired by” she replied.
“Arriana!” I retaliated.
“Jackie, just tell Frank the truth” she said.

I went quiet and bit my lip, thinking deeply. Joey continued to play with his phone, he was probably playing The Fast And The Furious again. He suddenly looked up from his phone, and let out a big huff of frustration.

“What’s your problem?” I laughed.
“I’m bored!” he said.
“Well, find a way to entertain yourself” I replied, quoting an old line from Shrek 2.
“Hey, where’s Bella?” I asked, suddenly realizing Arriana’s mother wasn’t home.
“She’s gonna be out all night, she’ll be back tomorrow afternoon, around 5” replied Arriana.
“That doesn’t change the fact that I’m BORED!” Joey snapped childishly.
“Oh shut up you!” laughed Arriana, hitting him with one of the pillows from the sofa.
“I know, let’s have a party” she said suddenly, running over and grabbing the phone.
“What? Arriana, in case you forgot, I have a bad history with parties” I reminded her.
“Relax Jackie, it’s more of a get together really, You, Me, Joey, Gerard, Frank, Mikey, Ray and Bob, how’s that sound?” she asked.
“Alright, if you say so” I replied in agreement.

So as I read out each number to her from my phone, Arriana called the guys, one by one.

This could be the chance to tell Frank how I really feel about him…