‹ Prequel: Check Yes Juliet

Should've Said No

Tattoos And A Switchblade Attitude

"Where are we going?", i asked flatly when we drove around downtown LA. "You're not taking me away, right?"

Mom giggled and shook her head slightly. "No, Abby, i'm not taking you away, even though, i love the thought of you moving to New York with me."

"What's up with you and that thought?", i snapped. "You left dad and i for 14 fucking years, and now you just gonna waltz back?"

I realized my words were just awful, but that was all i had in mind. Mom's eyes were teary and she pulled aside. "I'm sorry, Abby Jean. i made the wrong choice back then."

"No, mom, i'm sorry. i shouldn't said that."

"You should. you have the rights to tell me the truth, or even, the right to be mad at me, because i'm a bad person. i left you with Zack, even though he was on the top of his game back then. ATL just got signed and he was only 20, he toured a lot with you by his side."

"Well, Aunt Ashlee, aunt Dana and aunt Kara took care of me when dad was away, but dad always stubborn enough to brought me on tour."

Mom smiled a little and wiped her tears away. "That's your dad. did you know that your dad was away when you were born?"

I nodded. "Yeah, dad told me that story every night. he said that he just got off the stage when Matt told him about you were delivering that night, so he freaked out and jumped on the next plane home."

"That was pretty much it.", she laughed. "And we named you from outside the baby room. he gave me a piggy back ride and we saw you from the glass mirror of the baby room, and named you. i wanted Abigail, and he wanted Jean. so Abigail Jean Merrick."

Without anymore thoughts, i scooted closer to her and hugged her side. tears were brimming in my eyes, i couldn't stand it anymore. "i miss you mom."

She rested her chin on the top of my head and kissed it. "I love you so much, Abby Jean. i had been for 16 years."
*****************
"Dad, can i talk to you?", i sat on the couch across him. he put aside his acoustic and cleared his throat.

"What is it, AJ?"

I looked down to my hand, nervous of what he'll say. "You know, i was thinking, that, can i spent a week with mom in New York? you said to get to know her better."

"You want to go to New York with your mom?"

"Yeah, i mean, spend a lot more time with her.", i tapped my foot. a nervous habit. "I'll be fine."

Hesitation were drawn on dad's eyes. "You sure? New York is all the way in the east coast."

"Of course! you could go to, you know. you can stay in Baltimore, and pick me up on Sunday."

"Fine. but if you return to me with just one scratch, your mom can't be near you anymore."

I rolled my eyes and sighed. "Okay."
******************
"Seriously? i've felt this before you ring that doorbell.", Mom smiled a little when she saw Dad and i on her doorway. "Hi, Zack."

"Juliet.", dad sighed. "I'm only here cause' Abby told me to."

"Come on, guys.", i grunted. "Let's just spend the day together, please? for me?", i put on my puppy dog face for both of them.

Dad rolled his eyes and mom just sighed. "Fine.", they both said in unison.

After waiting for mom to get her jacket, we went out and just walked around Manhattan. we went to the Central Park since i haven't been there.

"So, mom, why don't you want to get back together with dad?", i asked her when dad was nowhere to be seen.

She sighed. "I want to, Abby Jean, but, your dad hates me for what i've done. i probably deserved that."

"Oh, Come on, Mom. dad didn't hate you."

"You never seen it in his eyes, Abby. you're like his treasure and he's like a pirate who would guard his treasure with his own life, like right now. he won't let me alone with you."

"That just mean he loves me."

Mom nodded. "He loves you so much."

"But that doesn't mean he fall out of love with you."

She stopped at her track and sighed. "How did you know?"

"I just know.", i grinned.
****************
I closed the balcony's door closed, so mom won't hear what i would be talking about with dad.

"Daddy!", i clapped his back.

"AJ, you scared me.", he groaned.

I rolled my eyes and leaned my back to the railing. "So, dad, can i ask you something?"

"Shoot."

"Are you still in love with mom?"

He looked down to his hands and smiled. "Yes, i still do."

"Why don't you tell her?"

"I'm scared. i think she hates me for keeping you out of her life."

"But that's her decision. and you just need to tell her."

"It's not that easy, Abby Jean."

I sighed. "Dad, i'm 16 years old, you couldn't lie to me anymore. you just need to tell mom that you still love her."

He smiled and gave me a high five. "You're right. i should tell her."