Status: Complete!

I Had It All

Goosebumps.

Image

Somehow, Kelsey had managed to drag me into a jewelry store. I didn’t know how she did it, but all I knew was that she was very, very persuasive. Either that, or I was just very good at following directions. Or, most likely, I would do anything she told me to. Actually, that was probably the one.

“I can’t believe you’re making me come in here,” I whispered nervously, looking at all the customers inconspicuously glancing at me, probably thinking I was a gay man or something. “This is really awkward for me.”

Kelsey giggled and continued to drag me up and down the aisles. “I don’t get out much anymore, so this is fun for me. Just let me finish going through this store, then we can go anywhere you want, okay?” She pouted, pursing her full, pink lips and allowing her blue eyes to explode in their sockets. She looked like a lost puppy.

I exhaled exasperatedly, giving in. “Fine. But after this store, no more jewelry stores!”

“Deal.”

She led me around the store, holding my hand the whole time. My heart was racing just from this simple gesture, although I knew it was meant for nothing more than guidance.

Finally she stopped and peered through a glass showcase, examining all the necklaces. Her jaw dropped and she gasped, letting go of my hand and using it to point at one of the necklaces. “Alex! Look at that one! Isn’t it gorgeous?”

I looked at it. To me, it was a silver chain with a heart. I really didn’t understand how girls found these things so great, but I smiled and nodded nonetheless. “Yeah, it’s uh - gorgeous.”

Without a second thought, she ushered over an employee to unlock it so she could try it on. After making several failed attempts at putting it on herself, she turned to look at me. “Alex,” she pleaded, “Will you please help me put this on?”

What could I say? I was putty in her hands. “Of course.”

She handed me the necklace and turned around. I unclasped the end and wrapped it around her so that the pendant rested on her chest. Although the turquoise fabric of her tunic got in the way, I attempted to clasp the end closed. As I did so, my calloused fingers brushed against the bare flesh of her neck. I felt her body tense at my touch, and I felt as if my hands were on fire. The skin on her neck stood on end, and goosebumps appeared. I quickly snapped the two ends together and dropped it.

Kelsey turned back around to look at me but immediately dropped her eyes to the floor awkwardly. Whatever just happened between us, she must have felt it. I wasn’t even sure what it was.

“Um, thanks,” she mumbled, turning to the mirror to see how it looked. I wanted to rip my hair out. I just had another chance, and again, I ruined it.

------

We later found ourselves at the food court again, except this time, we were actually eating.
“So this time you can’t avoid telling me about your boyfriend. You have to tell me about him,” I demanded. “What’s his name? Do I know him?”

Kelsey squirmed uncomfortably in her seat, tactfully avoiding my gaze. “You know him…” she whispered.

“Really?” I asked, now intrigued. Leaning forward and resting my head on my elbow, I made sure to listen closely.

“Yeah,” she answered, almost inaudibly. “He’s um…he’s…he’s great.” She sent me a smile, but even a fool could tell it was fake, generic. Her eyes immediately shifted to the table, neglecting my stare yet again.

“Well,” I started, slightly taken aback, “That’s great. I’m happy for you.”

Kelsey merely nodded. “Um, I think I have to go. Plans,” she excused.

“Oh, yeah. Don’t want to make you be late,” I smiled, not sure what to say.

She laughed awkwardly and stood up.

“Wait!” I called out, making sure she heard me before she got too far out of earshot.

“Yeah?”

“Um, tomorrow. What’re you doing?”

“Actually, I-” she stuttered, clearly trying to back out of making plans with me.

“Don’t try and get out of this, missy,” I joked. “We’re going to do something together.”

Kelsey smiled, but for real this time. This of course made my stomach flutter. “Take me out to the movies. Then we’ll go dinner.”

“Assertive, are we?” I teased.

She smirked and left the mall.

At this point, I didn’t even care that she had a boyfriend. All that mattered to me was that I was getting another chance to see her. Tomorrow couldn’t come fast enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Enjoy!

Tell me what you think? Your opinions actually do matter to me!!! :]