Status: complete!(:

It's Yours

Twenty-Five.

“Sorry about the chill.” Dr. McKenzie said as she applied the ultrasound goo.

She wiggled the ultrasound wand around for a little while before finally stopping. “And here,” she said happily, “is your baby, Emma.”

I couldn’t believe my eyes. My baby was up on the screen, very much alive with a beating heart that was coming in loud and strong through the ultrasound speakers. I saw it’s little hand move and then felt the kick at the exact same time I saw it.

“You’ve got a sassy little one it looks like.” Dr. McKenzie said with a smile.

I turned my head to the side to look at Thom and saw that his eyes were watery like mine. I clutched his hand and turned back to the doctor.

“You’re right. Our baby is one feisty little sweetheart.”

Dr. McKenzie continued to check for anything abnormal or concerning while I just stared in wonder. I never let go of Thom’s hand and at that moment I almost felt like I had a family again.

“Well, Emma, everything looks normal.” Dr. McKenzie said, breaking the spell as she wiped off the ultrasound gunk. “Your baby looks very healthy and in another two months or so I’ll need to see you for an ultrasound again to check on the baby and check the sex for you if you want. You can just stop by any time you’d like before that for your monthly blood tests.”

I nodded and Dr. McKenzie smiled before leaving the room. I stopped smiling and turned to look pleadingly at Thom. He sighed.

“Emma, I can’t make your appointment for you.”

“Please, please, please, Thom!!! I don’t want to have to deal with her again. She’s mean.” I pouted and clutched at Thom’s arm. He looked into my eyes and sighed.

“Fine.” He grumbled.

“Thank you!” I smiled again and reached over to pull his face towards mine.

I stopped the kiss before he could deepen it and gently hopped off of the examining table. I led Thom back into the waiting area and hugged him while slyly extracting his car keys from his back pocket. I knew he could tell but he just reluctantly turned towards the desk. I headed for the exit and turned back just in time to see him turning the charm onto Amy, the receptionist. Normally, I would have been really upset but because I knew he hated it, I didn’t care. I skipped out to the car and eased myself into the passenger’s side. The hot air rushed out of the vents as I started the car and tuned it to my favorite radio station. I giggled quietly to myself and watched the February snow fall down. I felt the buzz of my cell phone that Paul had finally forced out of Melissa and, happy as I was, I answered it without looking at the caller ID.

“Hello?”

“Emma.”

Oh shit. This wasn’t happening.

“Yes?”

Shit, shit, shit.

“Don’t pretend that you don’t know who this is. You were never very good at lying, sweetheart.”

“Don’t call me sweetheart.” I spat, disgusted. Where the hell was Thom?!

“As the father of your child I can call you anything I want to, sweetheart.” I could practically hear the smug smile in Jake’s voice.

I couldn’t remember when he had once captured my heart. All I felt now was repulsion. I needed Thom, now.

“I’m on my way home you know. I can’t wait to see our little baby.”

The shudder that ripped through my body was intense almost to the point of being painful. Where was Thom? My hands wrapped around my womb with lightening speed. No. Jacob was not ever going to see this baby. Their life would not be tainted by his presence. The words flowed out of my mouth without hesitation or thought.

“There is no baby, Jake. I miscarried a month ago.” I let the thought of my baby ceasing to exist cloud my mind so that my voice was infused with the right amount of passion.

“What the fuck are you talking about?! There isn’t a baby?!” Jacob’s anger scared me. There was no way he would ever get close to my baby.

“Not anymore. Don’t call me anymore. I can’t think about this, I can’t remember it. Goodbye, Jacob.”

“Fine! Don’t even think for a second that I’m coming back! You can stay there all by yourself for all I care!”

The phone went dead as Jake hung up on me. I looked at the screen to see that our conversation had barely lasted a minute. No wonder Thom hadn’t come to my rescue.

I turned the music down and placed my phone back in my pocket. I wiped my eyes and lifted my head just as Thom was walking out of the door, smiling. He caught the perspiration on my face and his smile disappeared. He ran to the car and wrenched the door open.

“Emma! What’s wrong?!” His eye searched mine, trying to find the cause of my sorrow.

“J-Jake called m-me. A-and I t-told him th-that I mi-mi-miscarried.” My voice hitched as I tried to calm down and control my breathing. I fell into Thom’s arms and as he stroked my back I gradually quieted.

“He said he won’t come back.” I whispered into Thom’s shoulder.

“Thom, I’m finally free of him. I don’t ever have to deal with Jacob Knight ever again. He has no hold on me.” A smile gradually broke across my face. Thom smiled as well and I grabbed him and pulled him close.

“You’re all I ever want.” I told him. He kissed me and I could feel my happiness from before returning. My life was finally under control.