I'm the Kind of Human Wreckage That You Love.

And The Punchline To The Joke Is Asking...

“I feel like I should of lit some candles or something.” I regretted a few hours later.

He laughed, “Well you could now, if you want.”

“I could,... but I don’t have any candles.” I giggled.

“You’re so silly.”

“Yeah. I know.”

“So, are you tired?”

“Nope.”

“Really?”

“Yep. Are you?”

“No.”

“We’re frickin’ weird. Haha”

“Ha, yeah.”

“I’m excited about going to practice. I love watching Frankie perform. He’s so different onstage.”

“Oh, really?”

“Yeah. And you’ll fit right in with everybody.”

“Cool.”

I stared at the ceiling for a moment.

“Well? Should we go again?” He suggested.

I pulled the covers up to my mouth and grinned big at him. I nodded my head. He pulled me into a bear hug and growled, which made me laugh.

The next time we stopped to breathe it was seven am, so we decided to get up. Gerard called Ray Toro and Otter, MCR’s guitarist and drummer, and we went to pick up Mikey. Sid was with Mikey so we asked her to join us, which she did. I explained my eye before they could ask and they gave their apologies. The studio was not very big at all and it was freezing inside.

I met Ray and Otter for the first time and explained my eye once more, but politely asked them not to mention it again.

The boys set up and everybody was introduced and then they began to play. Prep had this one song that they had been working on called “Attention Reader”. The MCR guys became attached to it. Otter played the drum part, Ray the guitar, and Gerard started screaming the hook with Frank. I was strange to see such a mixing of two separate worlds. But I liked it.

Sid and I were right next to each other the entire time, which gave us our first chance to actually talk to each other.

“Hey,” she nudged me sitting next to her on an amp case, “Don’t tell anyone, but I’ve secretly always wanted a black-eye.”

“Haha, that’s funny. Me, too. Until it happened, but wasn’t an accident. You don’t mind the bruise so much, but it sucks to think someone thinks they can just do something like that to you. Ya, know?”

“That makes sense.” she nodded.

“Wow, that was really heavy, I’m sorry to drop all that on you.”

“No, no, don’t worry about it.”

A minute past.

“So, you’re going out with Gerard now?”

“Yeah.”

“That’s good. Mikey will be relieved.”

“What do you mean?”

“He’s been really worried about Gerard, lately. Everyone has. But especially Mikey. He feels like he has to be the big brother sometimes.”

“Well, your the second person to say that. I’m extremely glad I met him, then.”

“Yeah, good. You helped us all out,” She said with a quick laugh, “No pressure or anything, though.”

All of a sudden we heard the amp screech and then we saw sparks.

“Ah, shit. That’s the fourth time!” I heard Frankie scream.

“Fuck! My ears!” I shout.

The sound died out and everyone stopped playing.

“Well, this is gonna take a while to fix...again! So if you guys want to leave... go get some food or something, that’s cool.”

I looked over to Sid and she nodded to say she wanted to leave. We told the Way brothers and Mikey asked for a burger and Gerard just wanted some coffee.

“To the mall?” I suggest.

“Sounds good, the one downtown is next to In-N-Out.”

We left and in the car Sid started telling me about all the silly things Mikey has done.

“There was this one time, ah Jesus, I’m embarrassed for him just by saying it, but, there was this one time when he had set up this really nice dinner with candles and place mats and everything and he leaned in to kiss me, right, and, oh man, you’ll never guess what happened...”

She covered her eyes with her hand. I looked over at her waiting in suspense.

“What? What happened?!” I smiled and took a drag of my cigarette.

“My hair lit on fire! I mean, I’ve never seen anything go up in flame so fast!”

“Oh my GOD! That’s hilarious! Shit, man.... That’s comedy.”

“That’s not even the worst of it! He picked up my wine and was about to pour it on me! I yelled at him so bad.”

“Are you ser-, you’re lying. No way! Poor ol’ Mikey. He’s such a sweet little dude.”

“Yeah, he really is. It’s the thought that counts with him... on everything.”

We laughed together and I felt like I had really made a new friend that day. We picked up some Venti caramel macchiatos and a few cheeseburgers, just in case, and headed back. That girl can knock back a coffee like nobody’s business, let me tell you. She finished the whole cup before we even got close to our destination. I think hanging out in the Way household with a bunch of high strung artists really affected her.
Image
The boys scarfed down their burgers and then it was back to business.

“Hey, babe, can you help me with this one verse?” Frankie handed me a piece of paper, while looking over his shoulder at Gerard regretting calling me ‘babe’.

Um, sure, you want me to sing?”

“No just say it.”

I read it,

“I pray for peace of mind,
I beg for a brand new life.
I plead for a second chance,
And the ability to shut my eyes at night.”

He pulled me over to the mic and he and I read the passage in unison while Gerard was screaming, “A true friend stabs you in the front,” in the background. It sounded pretty tight.

“Alright! That was awesome.” Ray complimented the song. It was the first time I heard him spoke.

I smiled at Frankie and Gerard walked up to me and kissed my forehead.

“Woohoo!” I exclaimed raising my arms into the air out of accomplishment, “I’m useful! Sort of! Haha.”

After that we all went out to dinner. I sat between Gerard and Sid, and was talking to her almost the whole time. We really clicked and I think the Way brothers got sort of jealous. Sid invited me to her brother Jesse’s art show tomorrow afternoon, and Gerard had to work, so I accepted.

The boys went their separate ways, leaving me and Gerard and Sid and Mikey.