Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

The Start Of A Horribly Fun Summer

Franchesa

I threw all my old notebooks into the garbage and closed the lid. I did this every year after school ended. It was finally the end of the June, finally summer! I can sleep in late and wake up late. I don't have to deal with school projects or anything!

Oh wait, I got into that photography program Mr. Patten told me about sophomore year. That doesn't constitute as work. I'll actually enjoy my time there. Besides that, I'm free!

"I did not expect you to be out here this late."

I lifted my head from my thoughts and grinned at Rafael's presence. This was a pleasant surprise! I'm just extremely happy!

"Hi!" I cheered and jumped into his arms.

The force of my body against his made him falter. "Whoa," he gasped, "are you all right?"

"I'm fine!" I giggled, kissing his lips.

"Okay then. Come on, I need to tell you something," he said, pulling my hand towards my porch. We sat down on the wooden steps. "Do you remember when you met my uncle?"

I cleared my throat and nodded. "Toni."

"Si, Toni." He bit the side of his lip and refused to look at me. This boy was not going to kill my mood; I swear he won't.

"What's up?" I asked happily, hoping to make him feel better.

He closed his eyes tightly. I scoffed and turned his head towards me. I clunked his forehead against mine. "Tell. Me."

Rafael's eyes opened. I could tell he was sad. Did something bad happen?

"Do you remember what the US Open is?"

"Yeah..." I mumbled. It's one of those huge tennis tournaments you see on TV every season.

"Toni has connections and I'm going to be one of the ball people in the tournament. It is not something I want to do, but it shall help me enlist for the tournament much easier."

My hands slipped from his face down to my lap. I turned my body so it was facing the street. "Why are you telling me this?" I whispered quietly. I didn't have a good feeling about this.

"I have to go to New York in two weeks," he whispered back.

"How long are you staying?"

"...The entire summer."

"The entire summer?!" I screeched, jumping out of my seat.

Rafael raised his hands at me in surrender. "Calm down, please!"

My nostrils flared in anger and I wanted to cry. "I swear it seems like you're always away from me."

"I know. I am truly sorry. I...I really do love tennis and also you. I do not want you to think I care more about tennis than you-"

"It's okay," I snapped. "It's gonna be your career. I understand. It's like how photography is my thing, tennis is yours. You want to succeed."

He smiled and hugged me. I didn't respond back. "You are truly understanding."

"Yeah."

"At times a bit too much."

"Sure."

"Fran do you mind if I talk to you?"

I looked up to see Matt a couple feet away. As usual, his hands found their resting place in his basketball shorts' pockets. I was about ready to cry and I didn't want to argue with Rafael about this. I nodded and kissed Rafael on the cheek. He took the hint and kissed my temple before leaving and giving Matt a quick glare.

Matt took Rafael's previous seat and loosely placed his arm around my shoulder, bringing me closer to his body. I shuddered and hugged his chest.

"I have to tell you something," Matt said quietly.

"Go for it," I muttered.

"I don't wanna."

"Why not?"

"I'm scared of what you're gonna say."

"Matthew!" I began to scold. He flinched back. "I'm your best friend, just tell me."

"Okay, okay." He gulped again. "I'm in a band."

"Seriously?" I asked. He nodded. "That's awesome!" I smiled and hugged him.

"Are you sure? You still look sad."

"Oh. Yeah I'm fine!" It took me a second to compose myself and look genuinely happy for Matt. I didn't want to tell him about my problems with Rafael. He was still sad about Lisa and I didn't want to dump my problems on him as well. That wouldn't be fair and it wouldn't be a very kind thing to do.

"So yeah," I coughed. "Do you need band pictures?"

If there ever was a strange happiness in Matt's eyes, tonight was the night I finally saw it. He looked so happy I wanted to pinch his cheeks until I bruised them.

"Yeah, but that costs money," he shrugged.

"I can use the college's photography shoot for free. I'll just show my teacher the pictures before I give it to you."

"Are you for real?"

"Yeah."

"You're the best!"

He pulled me into a bone-crushing hug and grunted to emphasize how appreciative he was of my idea. At least I still have Matt to spend time with this summer.
♠ ♠ ♠
I just realized this story is probably going to be over 60 chapters long. That's long as hell!