Status: This story is under revisions (grammatically).

Living on Perfectly Remembered Memories

Camping Day Four

Franchesa

All of us were huddled with barely any room to exhale in the recreation room. Mr. Gaitano ordered all the seniors in here for an "important talk." We couldn't have gotten into trouble. Everyone was behaving, I think. I knew I was.

Gaitano stood on top of a wooden table, his bullhorn on vacation. I guess he decided to talk to us here since the room echoes and he wouldn't have to repeat himself. If we were outside, now that was a different story.

He clapped his hands to silence the barely audible chattering from others in the crowd. I hope he would start and finish early. It's getting stuffy in here.

"Alright, this isn't our last trip but this one is the most special. It's Huntington High tradition to go here every year. I may not know everyone but you guys have been the best class of seniors. I'll be sad to see you all get that diploma..."

He sounds like such a sap.

"...Anyways, I just wanted to give some advice. All the things you're keeping bottled inside, take off the cap. Everything truly does change this year. Don't get out of here with regrets or thoughts of "What if?". That's it, go on the buses."

Everyone clapped. My throat felt like it was closing up and I couldn't breathe. My eyes clouded over with what could soon become tears. I looked away to try to get out the sudden feeling of sadness I developed. I don't know why it appeared.

Slowly, people filed out of the room and ran to get seats.

Matt gave me a look. It wasn't sympathy and it wasn't a look of worry. He stared at me in wonder. I did the same. He opened his mouth, then shook his head, and walked away.

I sighed softly and walked towards the buses. I didn't see Rafael sitting on any of them but a tug on my arm caught me off guard.

Leana gave me a cheeky smile before nearly squealing, "You're sitting with us!"

"I'm supposed to sit with Rafael," I said politely.

"He won't mind, right Rafa?"

I looked around to find him a few steps ahead of us. His muscles flexed themselves as though they were a blowfish, almost as though he was annoyed at Leana. I hoped he wasn't! He scrunched his eyebrows and shook his head.

Leana grinned again and dragged me to the bus she was going to sit in. After she pushed me down next to the window seat, I pointed a finger at her. "What are you doing?" I demanded.

She blinked innocently. "What are you talking about?"

Maybe that would work if she were Angel, but never with Leana. I knew the extent of her deviousness and I could tell she separated me from Rafael for a purpose.

"Are you purposely trying to pull me apart from him?"

"You want my answer?" she suddenly snapped, the smile disappearing instantaneously.

"Please!" I dragged the word out and gripped at my hair. "I've been in the dark for so long! Shine some light on this situation." That might have been overdramatic but I was pms-ing, I blame my bitch fit on that.

"He's changed you."

"W-what?"

She nodded, her curly hair swaying back and forth. "Yeah. You're a softie now. The hell happened to you? You used to be my partner in crime AND now, I'm going solo. You're...you're turning into him!"

Each sentence felt like a stab in the gut. Why hadn't anyone told me this! What kind of best friends do I seriously have here? They wait until a year to tell me all things I should've heard during the first few months of my relationship with Rafael! How dare they blame me for this! I'm not fully at fault here!

"What exactly is "him"?" I sneered, making sure to glare at her.

"You're like a 30 year old housewife!"

I turned my attention to the window.

Leana touched my shoulder, in which case, I shook her hand away.

"I'm sorry I had to tell you this, but you had to know."

"Uh-huh."

She sighed and moved to the seat across from this three-seater. I'm glad no one else sat with me. I wasn't in the mood to talk to anyone. I knew if I opened my mouth, I would regret the things I would end up saying. Really though, is he changing me for the worse?