Brother and Sister

Moving Day

The next morning John was helping Tyler pack his stuff; I could hear something about “motors” and “Halo 2” going on in there. Male bonding was always a mystery to me.

“No man, listen. Call of Duty is better that Halo, trust me.” Tyler said.

John laughed, “I’ll believe it when I play it.”

I walked into the room laughing, “You can’t play until Tylers room is complete.”

They groaned, “Sis that’s not fair!”

I walked out laughing, I could hear a few chuckles coming from his room. I went down stairs to make breakfast for the guys, right when I was just finishing the eggs that’s when Aunt Andrea and Aunt Megan walked in.

“Hey guys!” I grinned, walking around the counter to hug them. They hugged my back and each kissed my cheek.

“Hi Rachel dear. How are you?” asked Aunt Megan.

I smiled, “I’m ok. Tyler decided to move in with us this weekend, so we'll be leaving sometime today."

She beamed, “Great!”

Aunt Andrea smiled slightly, “Yeah, wonderful.”

I looked at her, “He wants to go.” I knew that look. She wanted Tyler to live with her since the news broke out. I wasn’t going to let that happen.

She narrowed her eyes, “Are you ready for this kind of responsibility Rachel?”

I crossed my arms, “Yes. He’s my brother.”
She sighed and walked away to hand her coat and her purse, she fluffed out her long beautiful caramel hair and unwrapped her scarf.

I walked back into the kitchen, I turned off the stove and put the eggs on a plate and set the pan in the sink.

I slammed the thing to the bottom of the sink and turned to Aunt Andrea’s surprised expression. “You know what Andrea, I love my brother. I practically helped raised him. I am ready for whatever challenges he will throw at me, he’s not a kid anymore he can take care of himself really. But when he needs me I’ll be there. Got it? So back off and leave me and my brother the hell alone!” I stomped past her and opened the living room door. Aunt Megan kept her head down the whole time.

I motioned for her to go out, “Go.” I muttered.
She slid off the counter chairs and grabbed her stuff and walked out without one glance at me. I slammed the door behind her and walked back to the kitchen.

“UGH!” I groaned. Aunt Megan stood up and wrapped her arms around me. I hugged her back.

“She’s having a hard time right now sweetie, we all are. Just give her time.” She whispered.
I pulled away and snorted, “She has been after Tyler since mom and dad died. She wants the money that’s going to come with him! I don’t, I just want my brother with me. I could give a crap about the money.” I snapped and walked towards the sink to rinse the pan.

“Rachel, that’s not it. Whatever makes you think she wants her own sister’s money?” she snapped back.

I turned on her, she was furious. “Really Megan? She’s got you under that stupid spell too? She had my mother in the palms of her hands. She hasn’t even cried since mom died, all she’s been worried about is Tyler, not me. Tyler. Mom and dad left Tyler and me 20,000 dollars, we have to spilt it but I’m putting all that away for Tyler when he goes to college. I don’t want it. It’s more for him than I.”

Aunt Megan relaxed a little, “20,000 dollars?”

I nodded, “Yes. So don’t sit there and say it’s for Tyler, because that’s a bunch of crap. She wants the money.”

Aunt Megan walked away from me and sat back in the chair, “Andrea is a complicated person. She’s been through a lot.”

I snorted again, “Don’t pity her.”

Aunt Megan raised her head, “Rachel, she lost her husband to another women this past year, now our sister. She’s just confused on what she wants.”

I dried off the pan and hung it up over the stove that was centered right in the middle of the kitchen.

I hung the towel and walked towards the counter. I leaned over it and starred at her in the eyes.

“Don’t defend her. She knows exactly what she wants and that’s Tyler’s money. Mom and Dad left him to me.” I pointed at me chest. “Not her, me. Because they know I would put that money to good use, and I am. She would put it in her account and use it for own selfish sake. So don’t defend her, because you know damn well that’s exactly what she’ll do.”
I leaned away and kept my hands on the table, she sighed and looked around.

“She is running out of money.” She muttered.

“Exactly. She will take full advantage of Tyler. I can’t let that happen.” I whispered, my voice breaking at the end.

She starred at me for a long moment and then took a deep breath. “Take him Rachel. And keep her far away ok? Her head is not all there and what you’re saying will more than likely happen. Take care of him sweetie. Take good care of him.”

I nodded, “I will.”

She walked over to hugged me and kiss my cheek, “I better go. Can I go up to say goodbye to Tyler?”

I nodded, “Of course.”

She patted my arms and walked upstairs, when I was lounging on the sofa she came back down.

“See you later baby, take care alright?” she said on her way out.

“I will and you too!”

I heard the door slam and saw her take off from the drive way. I shut the windows and closed the curtains. I walked around my beautiful home closing all the windows, Tyler should be done soon and we’ll be off.

I heard footsteps coming off the stairs and laughing also. I peaked around the dinning room and saw Tyler’s back. John looked around Tyler and grinned at me.

“Hey, he’s all set.” John walked around him and kissed my forehead.

“Ok. Go ahead and put his stuff in the car while I make sure this is all closed and shut down.” I smiled, feeling a sense of goodbye tugging at my chest.

He nodded, “Alright.” He grabbed a box and walked out, Tyler followed him.
I sat on the table and imagined all the wonderful dinners I had here as a kid. This was the last time I was sit here for awhile. Grandma Amanda wanted the house to remain ours so whenever we wanted to come back, we’ll have a place to stay. Our beautiful home was set in a wonderful suburb outside of Phoenix, Arizona and I lived in Albuquerque New Mexico. It was too far away from home, but we needed to go, get a new start.

I heard someone clear their throat behind me, I jumped a little and quickly wiped away the tears.

I turned around and it was Tyler. He looked sad. I stood up and he wrapped his arm around my shoulder.

“I know it’s hard huh?” he whispered.

I nodded, “I didn’t think it was going to be this hard.”

He sighed, “Yeah.”
I turned around slightly and wrapped my arms around his waist and leaned my head on his shoulder.

“So many memories here.” He said, wrapping both arms around me.

I nodded, “Yeah. But we can always come back for the holidays and spend it with Grandma and Uncle David, Uncle Michael. We aren’t saying goodbye completely.” I tried to lighten the mood.

“We can. But we are leaving behind mom and dad. It feels like I’m running away from them rather than embracing them.”

I sighed, “No brother no. You can’t run away from them they will always be in your heart. I promise.”

He kissed my head, “I know. Why is it so hard?”

“That I don’t have a answer for.”
We stayed silent for awhile and starred at the table.

“Hey remember when I accidently flipped my spoon full of potatoes in your face?” he chuckled.

I snorted, “Accidently? Sure.”

He laughed more, “Remember mom’s face?”

I laughed, “Oh my god yes! She was furious because it stained her new carpet.”
We shook with laughter.

“And then dad was like ‘run son, run.’ His face was dead serious too.” He chuckled.

I laughed, “I was too angry with you to notice.”
We stopped laughing after a while and sighed.

“Good times.” He whispered.

“Wonderful times.” I sighed.

“Ahem.” John cleared his throat.
We turned around, letting go of each other.

“Sorry honey, we were just saying goodbye.” I whispered, walking up to him.

He nodded, “I understand. I didn’t mean to intrude.”

“No its ok. We were just getting ready to leave.”
I grabbed a box from the foot of the stairs and headed out the door. I put the box in the back seat and shut the door. John was starting the car and waiting inside. I looked around for Tyler and he was standing in front of the house.

I walked over to him and touched his arm, “We’re ready.”

He nodded, still looking at the house. “Ok.”

“We have to say goodbye.” I whispered. I grabbed his hand.

He took my hand and squeezed it, “I know.”

He touched his fingers to his lips and threw it to the house. “Bye mom. Bye dad.”

I felt a lump in my throat and swallowed it back.

“Love you.” I whispered.

Tyler squeezed my hand and we walked to the car. We headed down the highway in silence, but I could feel change coming. A new adventure.