Brother and Sister

Tension

It was the next day and we were all running around to get things situated. John went to work while Tyler and I were arguing about which shirt he should wear.

“Tyler wear something nice but comforting. Please.” I sighed.

“What the hell? It doesn’t matter Rachel. Like their going to judge what I wear. ‘Well he’s got a blue shirt on, that’s a mark.’” He mocked.

I rolled my eyes and laughed, “Cut it out. Just go put something on that’s nice alright?
Please Tyler work with me.”

He nodded, “Fine. Which one?”

“How about the green button up shirt I got you for your birthday?” I suggested fixing the pillows on the sofa.

He moaned, “Button up? It gets too hot!”

I turned on him and snapped my fingers and then pointed them to the stairs, “Now.”

He rolled his eyes and muttered something like ‘Just like mom. Jeez.’ I rolled my eyes and fixed my black silk pants. I straightened out my jacket and ran to the hallway mirror by the stairs to straighten my hair. They were going to be here around nine and it was ten till.

“Hurry up Tyler!” I yelled.

“I’m coming!” He snapped.I looked around the house, making sure everything was perfect. Then the door bell rang.

“Tyler!” I yelled quietly.

He ran down the stairs, looking so much like dad. I forgot what was happening for two seconds and smiled.

“The door!” he pointed.

I snapped out of my little memory and ran to the door.

I turned on Tyler and fixed his collar and straightened my self out.

“Calm down jeez.” He whispered.

“Ready?” I asked, sort of out of breath.

He nodded, “Go ahead.”

I opened the door with a smile, “Good morning gentleman.” I greeted.

Tyler held out his hand and shook hands with them. They looked tired and really bored. One of them was smaller than the other. He had scruff and dark brown eyes while the other was red-headed and tall.

The scuff one held out his hand to me, “Thank you for having us. I’m Mr. Roberts and this is my assistant Mr. Conrad.”

I grinned at him but he retuned nothing. My smile fell.

“Please come in.” I motioned for them to come in. I looked at Tyler and he shrugged.

“Freaks.” He muttered. I giggled.

They walked around, while we followed. They made more and more notes then we all met up in the living room again.

“Ok. Tyler can we see you’re room please.” asked Mr. Roberts.
Tyler looked at me and I nodded, he looked back at them and smiled.

“Sure. This way.” He walked upstairs while I stayed behind with Mr. Conrad.

“I want to talk to you alone now.” He said. I nodded.

“Ok.” I sat down on the sofa while he sat on the chair.

“So how are things with Tyler?” he kept his head down.

“Great.” I kept this stupid grin planted on my face just in case he looked up. Which looked like it wasn’t going to happen anytime soon.

“Ok. How is he adjusting to school?”

Stupid grin on, “Fine. Good grades A’s and B’s mostly. He just joined the basketball team.”
I remembered last night when Tyler walked with a huge smile; he hugged me tight and
kissed my cheek. “I joined the team sis! They loved me!”

“And who else lives here with you?” he asked pulling me out of my revere.

“My fiancée.”

He looked up, “You’re engaged?”

I nodded; feeling adreline run threw my veins. Was that bad? “Yes. Eight months. now.”

He sighed, “She didn’t say anything about you being engaged.”

I grounded my teeth, “He’s not bad. He loves Tyler just as much as I do.”

Tyler came down the stairs, “John wouldn’t hurt a fly.”

He put his hand on my shoulder, “Their great together.”

Mr. Roberts sighed, “It’s fine Tom. We already received information about John Matthews.”
I starred at him in confusion but didn’t say anything.

“Well that’s all for today. Everything seems to be in check. You are doing an excellent job Ms. Walters, keep it up.” He smiled and headed towards the door with Mr. Conrad.

I opened the door for them and grinned, “Thank you. Have a safe trip back.”

They smiled and walked down the sidewalk to their car. We stayed at the door until they were out of sight.

I clapped and wrapped my arms around Tyler he squeezed me back. “Yes!” he yelled.

I laughed, “Alright! We did it!”

We walked inside and immediately both ran upstairs to change. I came out in my favorite black sweats –which were cut at the knee- and white t-shirt. He came out with shorts and a muscle shirt on.

“So much better.” He whispered. I laughed.

“Come on. Let’s go watch a movie downstairs.” I ran downstairs and put some popcorn in the microwave.

“What do you want to watch?” he yelled from the living room.

“Madea’s Family Reunion!” I yelled back.

He laughed, “That’s a good one.”

He walked into the kitchen and stuck his nose in the refrigerator.

“DP?” he asked. I nodded.

“Please.”

He grabbed two and walked back into the living room. He sat on the tall chairs that John picked out for the diner chairs. He bought this really weird diner set.

I pulled the popcorn out and motioned for him to follow me. He popped in the movie and we fought for the popcorn bag.

“I made it, I hold it.”

He snorted, “You made it, and I eat it.”

I laughed, “You’re so argumentative.”

“Ohhh sister knows big words.” He teased.

I nudged his elbow, “Argumentative is not a big word.”

“It is for me.” He chuckled.

I giggled, “Maybe. Don’t think about it too much, you’re brain might explode.”

He pushed me, “Whatever loser.”

“Shut up and watch the movie. This is my favorite part.” I told him.

We watched the movie in silence and laughed at the funny parts. When the movie was over Tyler took it out of the player and put it back its case while I took all the dishes back to the kitchen. I was putting the glasses in the dishwasher when he cleared his throat.

“What’s up?” I asked.

He sighed, “Thanksgiving’s coming up.”

I nodded, “Next week.”

“What are we going to do?”

I turned on the dish washer and pulled him to the counter. “What do you want to do?”

He starred at me for a moment, “I want to go home.”

I smiled, “Ok. Grandma Amanda wanted us to go down anyway.”

He raised his eye brow, “And I’m barely hearing about this?”

“I was going to tell you today actually.” I bit my lip. I never came up with the decision when I should tell him.

He smiled, “Liar.”

Damn. “Ok. I was debating when I should actually.”

He snorted, “Oh so that morning of you were going to walk into my room and say, ‘Hey we’re going back home, get dressed.’”

I giggled, “No. I was going to tell you sooner.”

He starred at me, “If you say so.”

“Tyler, I didn’t want to take you back if you weren’t ready. I didn’t know how you would react if
I mentioned home. I was being careful. I was trying to protect you. I was scared when Grandma called and said ‘Hey come down for Thanksgiving.’ I freaked I…….cried. I wasn’t ready to deal going back home so soon after their death.”

He nodded and hung his head, “I understand. But listen sister, I’m not a three year old anymore Rachel. Don’t protect me anymore, I’ll come to you when I need you ok? Don’t stress your self out so much.” He wrapped his arms around me and squeezed me.

I hugged him back, “I can’t help it. I still think of you as a little boy.”

He snorted, “You sound like mom.”

I pulled away and laughed, “I mean it. You’re my baby brother. I have every right to protect you.”

“No you don’t. That’s my job; I’m watching you and Romeo like a hawk.” He pointed. He
looked like dad again.

“You sound like Dad.” I told him.

He laughed, “Good.”

I sighed, “Seriously though, I’m here for you. I’m trying everything I can to keep you. I would
appreciate a little help, but that’s like telling you to clean your room.”

He boomed with laughter, I joined him.

“Ok. I’ll help, if you back off.” He chuckled.

I snorted, “I’ll leave you be, but when it comes to decisions and school, that’s all me.”

He thought about for a moment, “Ok. Deal.” He held out his hand.

I laughed and shook it. “Deal.”