Brother and Sister

Thanksgiving Holiday

“Tyler lets go!” I yelled upstairs.

“I’m coming!”

I put our luggage by the door and walked in the kitchen to grab a juice box. John came out from the computer room.

“Ok I got our flight tickets.” he held up the tickets and laid them on the counter.

“Babe can you take the luggage to the car? Oh did you get the car rental?” I was running around again.

“Yes and yes. Stop stressing everything will go smoothly.” He shook his head on the way out the door.

That’s what you think I thought. He had no idea how hard it was going to be around my Aunt Andrea.

Tyler came down the stairs in his blue Hollister shirt –that I bought him- and blue jeans. He looked handsome, his hair was sticking everywhere but it was nice.

“Ok, I’m ready.” He walked into the kitchen and grabbed a juice box also.

“I feel like a kid every time I drink one of these.” He laughed.

I giggled, “Me too.”

John came back inside and saw us sucking on the straw.

“Wow.” He laughed.

We laughed, “What?” Tyler asked.

He shook his head, “Nothing, I thought you were a man. And well the man was drinking a juice box.”

Tyler threw away the box and puffed out his arm, “I am a man.”

I laughed and patted his shoulder, “Keep telling yourself that.”

John laughed and walked back into the computer room. I sighed.

“John just take the laptop.”

I heard him laugh, “Oh I already packed it.”

I rolled my eyes, “Ready?” I asked Tyler.

He nodded, “Yup.”

I grabbed the keys off the counter and closed the door after Tyler and John walked out.

The plane ride was something else, the airport was swarming with visitors going or coming to meet their families for Thanksgiving, which was tomorrow. Tyler tensed when he saw Aunt Megan and Uncle Daniel both hugged all three of us.

“Its so good to see you!” squealed Aunt Megan.

I smiled, “It’s great to see you.” Even though it was only two weeks since we all saw each other.

“Tyler baby, you look handsome!” she gushed.

He smiled, “And you look beautiful.”

“The house is all ready for you both.” said Uncle Daniel.

I grinned, “Great! Where are Grandma Amanda and Grandma Angela?”

“They are both at the house waiting for you guys.” said Aunt Megan wrapping her arm around mine and Tyler

“Can’t wait.” I smiled.

We were greeted at my home. Al though I was having a hard time smiling and being happy around my family. I was too distracted about being back home in the holidays. When Grandma Angela opened the door, I caught an image of mom opening the door with dad behind her.

We went upstairs to get settled in, I walked into Tyler’s room and caught him just standing in the middle with his bag on the bed.

“Hey.” I whispered.

He turned around and smiled. I saw something on his cheek but he wiped it away quickly.

“Oh Tyler.” I said.

He laughed shaky, “Don’t start. I’m fine. It’s just weird.”

I nodded, “Tell me about it.”

He sat on his chair and looked around, “I just expect mom to come right threw that door and
start nagging. ‘Tyler your room is a disgrace.’”

I giggled, “Yeah.” I sat on his bed and hugged his pillow.

“How are you? You didn’t really seem happy to see everyone.” He noted.

I sighed, “I feel the exact way. It doesn’t feel right without mom or dad.”

He nodded, “Yeah.”

“Well I’ll let you get settled and come downstairs. Maybe it will be better if were around
everyone.” I touched his shoulder.

“Yeah maybe.”

I shut his door and saw John lying across the bed with his eyes closed. I crossed the hall and shut my door. I locked it and snuggled next to his side, resting my head on his chest.

He chuckled, “Hey.”

“Hi.” I pressed my lips to his chest.
His arm wrapped around my shoulder and pressed me tighter to his side. I looked up at him. His eyes were still closed.

“Tired baby?” I asked.

He nodded, “Yeah.”

I laid my head back down and closed my eyes. Waiting for sleep to take me. Eventually it did and I dreamt of my wedding day.

I jumped a little when someone was knocking on the door. I rubbed my eyes and pulled away from John.
I opened the door and saw Tyler standing there.

“Oh, did I wake you?”

I nodded, “Yeah.” My voice was really groggy.

“Sorry, Aunt Megan was wondering where you were.” He whispered.

“Does she need something?” I was leaning against the door, I was still sleepy.

He shook his head, “No.”

I opened my eyes a little, “What?”

“Nothing.” His lips were pressed together, fighting a smile.

“Then leave.”

He laughed, “Grouchy are we?
I slammed the door in his face, and laid back down with John. I tried to sleep again, but I couldn’t. I walked into the bathroom and washed my face. When I looked up John was at the door. I screamed.

“JEEZ!” I yelled.

He laughed and kissed my cheek, “Sorry love.”

“You scared the crap out of me.” I said.

I walked out of the bathroom and let my hair fall. It curled a little around my face. I put on a little eyeliner and some lip gloss.

“You’re so beautiful.” John said wrapping his arms around me from behind. His hand reached up to stroke my cheek. I grinned.

“Thank you.” He kissed my cheek and pulled away.
We walked out together and down the stairs. He grabbed my hand, I smiled at him while we strolled into the dining room.

“HEY!” yelled Uncle Michael. He stood up and kissed my cheek and hugged me tight.

“How are you sweet girl?”

“Great.” Uncle Michael was really quiet during the funeral. But he was never great when it came to emotional stuff.

“John.” He shook his hand.

“Michael.”

I forgot about this little tension here. Uncle Michael was like my dad, he was taking his place here. John and dad got along don’t get me wrong. But whenever John was turning away Dad would make faces and grunt something about him. I caught this every time, but other times I would ignore it. Uncle Michael said he like John, but thought I could do better. He told that to me last year right when John entered the room. Since then, it’s been a hell ride. Of course that all got worse when John proposed on my twenty-first birthday.

“So when’s the big day?” he asked me.

I hadn’t picked a date; I wasn’t sure no more than ever now that mom and dad were
gone. “Uh well, we’re not sure yet.” I smiled.

He raised his eyebrow, “You’ve been engaged for how long?”

I laughed nervously, “I know. But things are just a little stressful now Uncle Mike.”

He grinned and wrapped his arm around my shoulders. “I understand. Take your time baby.”

I nodded, “I will.”

We sat and talked about random things, we even shared memories about mom and dad. Then everyone fell silent when we mentioned a latest memory. It was the day before their anniversary.

“So anyone hungry?” asked Grandma Angela.

I nodded, “Yes please. I’ll help you.”

She grinned, “Thank you sweetheart.”

The way she smiled was exactly like my mother and me. We all had the same smile. She looked exactly like mom too. Grandpa Jay patted my hand when I leaned down to kiss him when I walked past him. I walked into the kitchen and tied mom’s robe around my waist. I stayed there starring at it.

“She never left you sweetheart. She’s in your heart. You just have to believe.” Grandma whispered. I looked up and smiled.

“I know. I can feel both of them.”

She grinned and walked around the counter to hug me.

“Ok. So what do you say of making chicken, potatoes, and corn?”

I grinned, “Sounds great! I’ll do the potatoes.”

She laughed, “Alright.”

“And I’ll do the corn.” smiled Aunt Megan. We laughed the whole time; we put on some music too.

“Well Grandma, when is the turkey going in?” I asked.

“Not till early tomorrow, you know that.”

I laughed, “I know. I just sort of forgot.”

Tyler came into the kitchen taking a deep breath, “Jeez that smells good.”

I took the towel and rolled it up. He starred at me.

“Don’t you dare.” He cautioned. His hand were out and warning me to stay away.

“Why not?” I smiled, holding both ends tightly in my hands.

He backed away, “Because I said so.”

I moved closer. “Rachel.” He warned. Grandma and Aunt Megan were laughing.

He turned his torso away from me, “Stop.”

I jerked it towards him and he jumped a whole foot away, “Stop!”

I laughed, “Aw is the little baby scared?’ I jerked it again, he ran and I ran after him.

“RACHEL!” he yelled. He ran upstairs while I followed. He stopped in the middle of the wide hallway.

“Stop it.” He warned. I moved closer and snapped it on his leg.

“JEEZ!!” he yelled. I darted downstairs screaming the whole time.

“What’s going on?” asked Grandpa Jay.

I opened the door and ran like a crazy person in the front lawn. He caught me and threw me
down.

“Its over!” he yelled.

I laughed the entire time, “I’m sorry!”

“Oh no.” he pinned down my legs with his feet and tied my arms in his hands and tickled my sides and stomach.

I laughed and laughed till it hurt. “TYLER!”

He was laughing himself, “Say mercy! Say it!”

“MERCY!” I yelled, laughing. He let me go and helped me up. I punched his shoulder.
“I totally kicked your ass.” He muttered.

I rolled my eyes, “And it will come back and kick yours.”

He held me in a head lock and walked back inside where every one was laughing when we came in out of breath.

“What was that all about?” asked Uncle Daniel.

“Oh it was just sibling love.” laughed Grandma.

I nodded, “Yup, just playing around with my little brother.”

He let me go and nudged me. “Little?”

“Yes little. I’m the oldest remember?”

He laughed, “Yes, but I’m a man.”

Everyone chuckled, “Oh yeah well the ‘man’ just ran away from a towel. You’re the man alright.” I teased.

“Ohh That’s harsh.” said Uncle Michael.

Tyler looked down at me, I shrugged.

“I told you it was going to come and kick your butt.” He rolled his eyes and held me in a head lock again.

“Ok ok, enough. Rachel get back in here and help serve this food.” Ordered Grandma. Everyone walked back to the dining room. I put the chicken in a bowl and carried it out to my family.