Status: ...

Angels and Reapers

Lifelines

As my head rested on his chest, I could hear his heart beat. It was a little unusual, but soothing. But I knew he wasn't asleep.
" Leon?"
"Go to sleep."
"What's wrong?"
"Nothing. Just go to sleep."
I laid my head back on his chest and shut my eyes.

I was woken by the sound of police sirens. I jolted forward and saw Leon putting his black jacket on.
"What's going on?" I asked.
" They want me."
"For what?"
He peeked through the blinds and cursed under his breath.
"What are you gonna do?"
He didn't answer. He was going around the room stuffing clothes into a black duffel bag.
"Leon!"
He took my cheek in his hand and kissed me. This felt like a scene from a stupid romance movie. My stomach felt sick.
"I gotta go."
"Where?"
We were cut off by the sound of a loudspeaker.
"Leon, this is Detective Howard. We know you're inside and we have you surrounded. Come out with your hands up!'
" I have to make a run for it." Leon said.
" No Leon they could shoot you!'
'I can't stay!'
Leon gave me a final kiss goodbye and ran downstairs. I fumbled around the bed for the window but was blinded by headlights. I could see four men with guns and shields. I knew Leon had no way of getting out alive. I jumped out of bed and ran after him.
"Leon! Wait!'
He was in the kitchen stuffing wads of money into the back pocket of one of my jeans. Then I realized that I wasn't wearing any. I grabbed them and pulled them over my cut up boxer shorts.
'Put that money somewhere safe alright?Don't lose it.' Leon ordered.
Money was the last thing on my mind right now.
"They've got guns. I saw it.'
"I know. Look just stay in the house. I'm sorry.'
Tears welled up in my eyes, and with that he left for the backdoor. For some annoying reason, I felt like I had to do something. But what could I do with the cops outside and a juvenile boyfriend out of lifelines? The best I could do was hope they didn't have cops posted out back.
Suddenly I heard the backdoor swing open and slam against the wall. Leon was on the floor. His face was splattered with blood and he had a gun in his hand. It was too dark to see who was outside but the barrel of a gun peeked out. Leon lifted his head and looked at me. He had already taken a bullet to the shoulder and was choking up blood.
" Amy, cover your eyes. Cover your-'
Bang. Everything was silent now. The sirens, the cops. I fell on the floor next to Leon's now lifeless body. The flow of his sticky blood flooded my hands. Ever fiber of my body went cold. Someone walked in and held me.
" I'm Detective Howard. It's all over now.'
He tried to lift me up but I couldn't move. All of my limbs felt too heavy to lift. I couldn't see anything through the tears and the detective just held me until Leon's body was carried out of the room.