‹ Prequel: It's Not A Love Song

Was I The Only One?

Tick tock on the clock

I hesitantly opened the text.

I just wanted to apologise for what happened. It was stupid of me to even think of driving, especially with you in the car. I hope you didn’t get into to much trouble because of me. I would appreciate it if you’d let me take you out to dinner tomorrow night?

I thought about my choices as I drove home, but it soon drifted from my eyes when I spotted the football game that was on the TV. I sat watching that by myself with a cup of coffee in my pyjamas munching on some carrots that I’d chopped up, washed and put in a bowl to snack on.

Just as the game was drawing to a close my phone rang. I reached to the arm of the chair and answered it.

“Hello.”

“Hello, thanks for ringing me. So, what’s happening tomorrow?” Emma asked me.

I rolled my eyes, “I don’t know.”

“You may as well come, I mean it’s not like you’re doing anything else.” She argued.

I bit my lip, “Urm, well, James text me and asked to take me to dinner tomorrow.”

Emma was silent down the other end of the phone, after a couple of seconds she finally cleared her throat. “Let me get this straight, you’re considering going on a date with a guy who landed you in jail instead of going to see your life long friend play his first solo concert? One you promised you’d go to.”

“Err, yes?”

“Well,” she let out a disgusted grunt, “why don’t you get Julia to call me when she comes back? The person I’m talking to obviously isn’t her.”

The line went dead, I brought my phone from my ear to stare at the blank screen. With a disgruntled groan I threw my phone onto the sofa opposite me, I needed to pass some time so I headed upstairs to run myself a bath. As the water pounded against the bottom of the bath I sat on the edge of it with a blank mind, I was just staring at the wall. The pounding soon changed into a gush as the bath water filled the tub deeper and deeper.

I climbed inside and let the water soak my skin, it was nice and hot; my skin was turning a pink colour because of it. I relaxed into the water and let my eyes droop closed.

I knew I had a lot to consider. But hey, if Miley Cyrus can have the best of both worlds why cant I? I could please everyone, I could go for an early dinner with James then leave with time to go and watch Nick. It was a way to make everyone happy; Emma would talk to me again and James wouldn’t feel as if I wasn’t bothering with him anymore.

But part of me was saying I shouldn’t bother with him anymore, I’d always said that everyone deserves a second chance but I didn’t know whether hanging around with James was the right thing to do. I wanted to give him a chance to explain himself just like I would anyone else, the consequences could possibly be much worse than others though. My decision to go to dinner with him was sure to upset some people, mainly Joe, but I would feel awful for not giving him a chance.

All my thoughts were jumbled but I knew I had to get on with things. I washed myself and my hair then climbed out the bath and changed into my pyjamas again. Just as I finished blow drying my hair I heard my mother shut the front door and toss her keys on to the counter, I turned off my music and headed downstairs. I needed her advice.

I skipped into the kitchen where I could hear her making herself a coffee. “Hey mom.”

She turned and smiled at me, “Hey sweetie, want a coffee?”

“No thanks, I’m good.” I answered. I pushed myself up onto the counter top and crossed my legs. “Can I ask your advice on something?”

“Sure, fire away” She turned around to look at me, giving me her full attention.

I cleared my throat, “Well, Nick’s gig is tomorrow and I said I would go, but James also text me asking me to go to dinner with him to give him a chance to explain himself. And I want to go and see Nick but I can’t deal with the awkwardness and you always say give people a second chance and I want to do that with James.” I rattled off my issues speedily.

She just stared at me. “You know what I think about James, I think you should stay well away from him.”

I tutted, “But mom! I haven’t gotten to know him right and you always say everyone deserves a second chance.”

“You’re willing to give a guy who got you in jail a second chance but you won’t even consider talking to Joseph?” She said with a hint of venom.

I stared at her blankly, “Why are you bringing up that? It has nothing to do with what I’m talking about.” I spat.

“I’m just saying—”

“Yeah well, don’t. Which side are you on?” I questioned.

“Honey, you know I’ll always be on your side. But that doesn’t mean I can’t think you’re wrong. You’re a part of the Jonas family whether you like it or not and it’s hurting them all not to have you around, not just Joseph.” She told me, tucking some of my hair behind my ear. “Just remember that they’ve all known you all their lives too. Don’t lose yourself.”

She took her coffee and left me alone in the kitchen. She’d given me a lot to think about but I knew what I needed to do, I needed to give James a second chance and go to Nick’s show. I had to balance my life.

…………

I parked up outside of the restaurant that James told me to meet him at, much to my surprise there was a few paparazzi; this was really odd because usually there isn’t any unless I’m with Emma, famous friends or the boys obviously. I pulled my purple pencil skirt down as I climbed out of my car and smiled at them, my floral top fluttered in the wind gracefully. I locked my car and began to walk down the street to the restaurant.

“How do you feel about the pictures?” One pap shouted to me.

“What pictures?” I asked with a nervous chuckle.

“The leaked pictures of you and Joe Jonas!” He shouted.

I remained silent and rushed towards the front door in my high stilettos. They shouted more questions now, but didn’t have time to get many more answers as I sped up the steps and into the dark enclosure. A man was waiting to greet me and he led me through to where James was sat.

As soon as he saw me he stood up and gave me a hug and a kiss on the cheek but then he sat straight back down again. I sat myself down with a fake smile on my face; Joe would’ve pulled out my chair for me. I played with my hair and brought it back around my face, then smiled at him again. James handed me a drinks menu and I looked at him with confusion.

“Oh, I have to be somewhere so we’re just going to have drinks is that alright?” He asked with a cocky smile; a smile I wanted to punch off his face.

“That’s fine.” I replied and picked a mixed juice blend. The waitress noted it down and noted down James beer, I frowned; not the best choice of drink for a date. “So tell me about yourself…”

And boy he did. James went into detail about how he’s a championship jockey and occasional model, but he doesn’t like to model because he thinks it’s overrated. I didn’t mention to him that I sometimes did modelling and actually enjoyed it. He then proceeded to tell me about all his other talents, the scars he had gotten as a child and all about his mega rich parents and all their luxury estates all around the world. This second chance had turned into his final chance, he was the most arrogant and self centred person I had ever had the misfortune of meeting.

Finally, the ‘date’ was coming to an end and he asked for the tab. He looked at the receipt and smiled at me. “Wanna join forces?”

I stared at him blankly, “Excuse me?”

“You know, help out a bit?” He pushed the bill towards me and I stared at it.

He’d spent two hours talking about him and how rich he was, but he wasn’t willing to cough up $50 to pay for his night of selfishness? But I wanted to get out of here to make it to the venue in time, so I pulled my card out of my purse and handed it over.

Once I’d paid I stood up, James was about to stand up to say goodbye. “Don’t bother.” I said to him and stalked out.

The paparazzi were waiting for me to come out, I practically ran to my car and got in as fast as I could. I was late and needed to get there ASAP.

Or else Emma would cut off my boobs.
♠ ♠ ♠
We didn't get many comments on that chapter. But that's okay!

Maybe we could get 15+ for the next one? Comment please and thank you and things!

QOTC: What's the one thing you want to accomplish in 2010?