‹ Prequel: It's Not A Love Song

Was I The Only One?

I'll be out of my mind and you'll be out of ideas pretty soon

The next day I was up and ready early to get to my Elie Saab shoot. It didn’t seem like Joe would be coming, he wasn’t going to be seen by the doctor until eleven and my shoot started at nine. But I had had a last minute phone call from Carl telling me that Jay-Z wanted me for his music video. I was due to finish my photo shoot at noon and I needed to get to the video shoot by one. It would be difficult with Los Angeles traffic being the way it is but I really wanted to do the shoot for him, so I’d do everything in my power to get there on time.

In the end I was kind of glad Joe didn’t come. There was three models including myself and each of us had ten dresses each, the shoot was long and hard because if one person messed up the shot then the other models suffered because that frame couldn’t be used. I did my best to keep it different.

The on-set feel was actually surprisingly really good. Everyone got along, there was no snobby attitude; we joked around with each other. I preferred the less serious sets because they put me more at ease. I was less nervous and able to control my face muscles easier therefore my modelling improved rapidly. I had a wonderful shoot and it set me up for the day with a good positive attitude.

But as soon as I could tell it was going to be hard to make it to the video shoot on time, my positive attitude flew away.

The video shoot meant that I had to take all the make up off my face and remove all hair products. They would want to start fresh. I was set back with time because I had to do that so I was speeding towards the video shoot. I became irritated and infuriated when all I did was sit in my car waiting for traffic to make some sort of advance. The stress levels were rising, but something came and calmed me down.

While crawling along in traffic my hands free began to ring loudly. I answered it once I saw it was Joe.

“Hello.” I answered, an unavoidable harsh tone to my voice.

“You’re not a happy bunny.” Joe teased, talking in a childish and annoying pitch.

“Well, I’m trying to get to a video shoot and I’m sitting in L.A traffic.”

He paused, “You didn’t tell you me had a shoot.”

I giggled, “I didn’t know until early this morning, I didn’t want to call you because I didn’t know if you would be asleep or not.”

“Well the doctor came to see me and he said I could leave so I went to lunch with a friend. Tell me where the shoot is and I’ll come and watch you.”

“I can’t remember it but I’ll forward you the text.”

“Okay then—”

“Bye.” I went to end the call.

Joe’s frantic shout stopped me. “No!”

“What?” I questioned, losing my patience. I was already late.

“I love you.”

My mood had been lifted with those three words. “I love you too.” I said back to him, hoping he could sense my sincerity through my voice.

“See you.”

He cut off the phone call. Suddenly I wasn’t even worried about being late. I drove at sensibly and didn’t let it get to me. I hummed the songs that came on the radio and tapped my fingers against the wheel. I was happy with life and just joyful to be alive.

As I expected there were lots of paparazzi outside the studio, but they caused little problem for me as they couldn’t get past the security gates. I kept my eyes open for Joe’s enormous jeep but couldn’t see it, I assumed that I had made it there before him. It was 5 minutes before I was supposed to be there, but still there was someone waiting to whisk me inside and into hair and make up.

I sat in a comfortable chair and one woman attacked my hair and the other my face. I grimaced occasionally; my hair was being back combed into a mo-hawk of some description. As for my makeup they put a plain foundation all over my face then created a smoky eyed effect; the thing made it more ‘video shoot’ style was the fact they then stuck clear gems all over my face. They didn’t hurt but I wasn’t allowed to make any sort of facial expression as the glue was drying.

My foot was constantly tapping against the table leg as I stared at the open door, waiting for Joe to poke his head around the side.

The glue didn’t take long to dry so I was quickly helped into my outfit. I wore a cream bra with the same colour netting over it as a shirt. Then a high waisted skirt with tiered ruffles was put onto me along with some black tights and heels. The final piece to be added to me was a large trail of dark grey and black material that clipped to the back of my skirt and would flow behind me in the wind.

Someone had to walk behind me and carry it so it wouldn’t drag along the floor as we walked towards the set. The set itself was a set of different black blocks that all led up to a top one in the shape of a distorted pyramid. A man helped me up to the top block where I gathered my thoughts and ideas.

“Okay, so, the music will play and we’ll set the wind off. What we need you to do is dance basically, just nice flowing but sometimes sharp movements. Do what you think is right for the song and for a Jay-Z video, you’re representing him.” The director, Brian, shouted through a megaphone.

I gave him a thumbs up and waited for the music and wind to start.

My first run through was nothing spectacular, I was almost glad that Joe wasn’t there to see it or even worse Jay. But I gradually got better, I knew I was getting better because the director was shouting compliments at me.

Though it may have appeared so, I did not fail to notice Joe and Jay walk in together along with three of Jay’s entourage during my sixth attempt at the song. I stepped up my game for the second half of the song, I made sure to flirt with the camera and not Joe. Just because I was friends with the person who had employed me doesn’t mean I could mess up, time is money so none could be wasted.

After the song had ended I waved to the two men who sat behind the cameras. The two waved back in unison.

“Okay, one more time.” The director shouted.

This was the third one more time, the video wasn’t three-four minutes of me, I’d only be in for snippets. Surely they had enough footage?

The wind blew back in my face, my eyes were already very dry but I pushed it to the back of my mind and decided this was it; this was going to be the best last take they’d ever seen in their lives. My body moved with strong actions, I used my body to tell the story of the song and focused on connecting with the camera and consequently the person who would eventually be watching me in the video. The hardest part was trying to control my breathing, I was tired from all the dancing and my breathing was shaky, but I made sure to keep it together and make it look like I was fierce.

The song ended with me crouched down to the floor, I held the pose for a second. “That’s a wrap, amazing last take!”

I stood upright with a grin and watched as one of the crew climbed up to help me down. I could feel my body aching and the blisters that were on my feet, I was suddenly ten times more thankful I had chosen to wear flats today.

I hobbled over to Joe who was holding in a laugh. “Don’t even laugh, my feet are about to fall off and when they do I’ll beat you with them.”

He held up his hands in defence then opened his arms as I grew nearer. I walked into them, smiling as I was the exact same height as him in these small heels. Normally he was only a little over an inch taller than me, now we were the same height, I may have even been taller than him.

He pulled away from me and smirked. “Nice face.” He said sarcastically.

“Nice eye brows.” I retorted, he gasped for a few seconds then grinned.

I turned away from him, remembering where I was, and greeted Jay with a hug. “You did so well, I’m impressed.”

“Thanks.” I smiled sweetly. “Well, I’m going to take these things off my face.”

Jay chuckled and gave me another hug, he and Joe did that weird pat/hug that men always do then followed me out of the set. I smiled as my stomach flipped when his fingers laced into mine.

I felt him lean closer to my ear, he whispered “Do you think I could get a private showing of that dancing?”

I smirked and turned my head to him, “Depends.”

“On what?” He questioned, holding my dressing room door for me then shutting it behind him.

I squeaked as he grabbed my waist and pulled be backwards and forcefully pinned me against the wall. He placed his lips on my collar bone easily and I resisted pushing him off me, it was me who had to be gentle with him.

“This isn’t fair.” I complained. “I can’t push you away, you’re injured.”

I felt him smirk against my skin, he peeled his lips away from my neck and stepped closer to me. There was only a millimetre between us as he spoke, “I know.”

He attacked my lips with his own, we moved together in unison in an intense and passionate kiss. I felt his tongue graze over my lips, but I kept them shut tightly. He stopped for a few moments and continues to kiss me; but with more force this time, he wanted to show me who was boss. His tongue then probed my lips and once again I denied him entrance, he groaned against my lips in protest and pressed his lips hard against my own before pulling them apart.

“Why?” He whined.

“Because.” I replied, shrugging my shoulders.

“We haven’t made out in forever.” moaned Joe, I rolled my eyes and squeezed his cheeks with my hand then kissed his lips.

“I’m hungry, I want this crap of my face, I stink and my body hurts. So, stop complaining.”

With that I moved from his cage and over to the make up table, leaving him with the face of a bull dog.
♠ ♠ ♠
My laptop committed suicide and took the lives of two ready written updates with it, which is why this has taken so long to put out. I had to re write the whole thing.

Drop me a comment please? They make me happy!

QOTC: Favourite place to shop?