‹ Prequel: It's Not A Love Song

Was I The Only One?

The truth is a terrible thing, don't you think?

My eyes widened. I couldn’t move, think or even breathe. But eventually I had to let out a long breath. I peered around the corner to catch a glimpse of the panicked look on both Joe’s and Denise’s face, I was sure that the look on mine mirrored theirs. I wasn’t ready to face them, I was barely ready to face Nick as Joe’s girlfriend. I spent weeks telling him not to speak to Emma and telling him how much of a bad person he was yet I’d accepted Joe’s apology and even went as far to become official with him again.

“What do you mean Emma is here?” He whispered harshly. “Get rid of her!”

“I can’t Joseph, she’s a guest.” Denise whispered back.

“Are you kidding me? Mom, I’m only just getting back on track with Julia, I can’t risk it.” He pleaded, voice filled with worry and concern.

My face fell with sympathy for him. “Joseph, now listen to me. This family does not revolve around you, Nick invited her just like you invited Julia. I wouldn’t ‘get rid’ of Julia if Nicholas told me to so I will not ‘get rid’ of Emma. I expect you to be present for dinner, go speak to Julia.”

Denise kissed his cheek then walked away, leaving Joe at the bottom of the stairs. I listened as he sighed and grabbed onto the banister. I stepped out from behind my hiding space making him stop mid-way up the stairs.

I descended down the steps and stopped on the one above him, looking down to him. “Don’t worry.”

“This is going to be extremely awkward, are you sure you don’t want to ditch and go back to my place?” He suggested placing his large hands on my hips, smirking at me.

“Now, that would be amazing but we’re going to this dinner.” I leant down and pressed a chaste kiss to his plump lips.

I slipped my fingers between his and we walked together into the dining room. Joe gave my hand a squeeze before he pushed down on the door handle, I peered around his shoulder and examined the room. Kevin was stood talking to his Dad with Danielle, Emma and Nick had their backs to us and were talking exuberantly to Frankie. I assumed my mom was with Denise in the kitchen. Joe cleared his throat loudly, making everyone in the room turn around.

I avoided looking at Emma at all costs, I was lucky that Danielle came over and took me to one side without making it look suspicious.

“Oh my gosh, this is going to be so awkward.” I whispered to her, rubbing my hand over my forehead. “I didn’t know she was going to be here.”

Dani gasped quietly, “Seriously. Didn’t she tell Joe?”

I furrowed my eye brows, “Why would she tell Joe?” I watched Danielle’s reactions carefully. Her face went from confused to looking as if she had crapped in her pants. Something was up. “What?”

“N-nothing. Sorry.”

Danielle was saved by Denise and my mom coming into the room with a dish of pasta and numerous bowls balanced on their arms. The boys went and helped them while we chose our seats. Emma made the best choice and sat on the opposite side of the table to me and at a different end. Joe came up behind me and pulled out my chair, the sweet sentiment was over ruled by my suspicion of what Danielle seemed to know.

Once we’d said grace and the food was dished out, the conversation began. “How was your shoot?” Kevin asked.

“Shoots.” I corrected, giving emphasis on the ‘s’ “I got a call before my Saab shoot to go to Jay-Z’s video shoot. So, I’m in that dancing with gems on my face.”

My mom chuckled, “I’m excited to see these frames and film.”

“And Joseph, how are you feeling?” Denise asked her son.

“I’m feeling okay.”

“Where did you two go for lunch today?” Danielle questioned, sending me a wink. She was going to try and get Joe to admit whatever I didn’t know.

I looked to Joe, “I didn’t go to lunch with Julia. She was still shooting.”

“Who did you go with?” Denise asked; she mustn’t know either. I was curiously watching him.

“Just a friend.” He said sharply.

“Which friend?” Danielle pressed.

Everyone was looking at him, I raised my eye brows at him. “Does it matter?” Danielle nodded slowly. “Urm, well...” I reached out and took a gulp of my water.

“He went with me and my friend Paul.” Emma said suddenly.

I choked on my water and spat it back out into my glass. I didn’t look at Joe, or anyone else though they were all looking at me, I just took a slice of garlic bread and bit into it. I felt Joe’s hand on my thigh, I placed my hand on top of his and slowly began to dig my nails into the skin.

“Emma, so... what have you been doing?” I questioned sarcastically. “You probably know what I’ve been doing, seeming as you appear to be having meetings with my boyfriend.”

“Urm...” She stuttered.

“It was just lunch.” Joe whispered to me. “We can talk about this later.”

I released my nails from his hand. “Don’t worry sweetie. We will.”

The rest of the night, I faked a good mood in front of Joe’s family but every second I was resisting the urge to tackle him to the floor. The emotions were building up inside of me, they were hard to contain with the two culprits in the same room as me; so as soon as I knew it was appropriate to leave.

We were all collected in the lounge when I announced I was leaving, I walked out without hugging anyone goodbye and just as I expected Joe followed me out to my car.

“Am I coming with you or what?” He shouted to me as I walked down the path.

“No, I’m going home. We’ll talk tomorrow.”

“Are you angry?” I let out sarcastic chuckle and shook my head in disbelief. “She’s a friend!” He exclaimed, “You’re being ridiculous.”

I swung the gate open and walked over to my car, he followed me like a puppy as I climbed into my car. He tapped on the window as I started the car, with a groan I wound down the window and put the car into gear.

“Joe, I don’t want to talk you to. I’m fucking pissed off with you, you’re a freaking joke and right now you’re a pathetic excuse for a boyfriend. Don’t call me tomorrow, I’ll call you. I mean it.”

Then I sped off, leaving him at the side of the road to watch my tail lights get farther and farther away until he could no longer see me. He needed time to think over what he had done wrong and why I was annoyed at him; there was no need for him to do that, especially after everything that had happened. As of right not he just did not understand what consequences his actions would have, and until he did I did not want to speak to him. He wouldn’t be very happy if I decided to go to a lunch with Leon after all that happened with us, I don’t think he would be very happy either. That was what he had to realise.

So, I went home, turned off my cell phone and watched Annie in my bedroom with a tub of ice cream.

The next day I decided I was going to stand my ground and go to see Joe. I recalled him mentioning that he would be working out on the beach doing some acrobatics with his trainer Joey. I dresses in a pair of short denim shorts then a white camisole and some sandals then put on a black bowl hat on the back of my head.

I grabbed my car keys and Blackberry and headed towards the beach. The whole time it took me to get there, I was thinking about what Joe might possibly say to me. I knew that there was still a chance that he was sticking with his idea that he had done nothing other than meet up with a friends. I hoped for his sake and even my own that he had understood why I was annoyed with him. If he had then his life would be much easier because if he hadn’t, all hell would break loose.

Only time would tell.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry for the delay! I've been rehearsing all week for my AS level theatre practical which I did yesterday.

Thanks to the people who are commenting constantly, I really appreciate them. Silent readers; thank them for the fact you get these updates.

CLICKEDY CLICK CLICK. Please?

QOTC: Where is your favourite place to go?

P.S OMNOMNOMNONMONOMNOM (Joe)

Image