We Met at the Morgue

May 17th, 2009; Side of the Road

I was ready to get ready for work, but Dennis had other plans. He pulled me onto our small, black, leather couch and held me close like he always does when he knows I'm sad. Dennis never speaks when you're sad, he won't ask you what's wrong unless you tell him. If he knows that you're upset he'll just lay there and comfort you.

"So, Princess Sadie, what is your royal wish for you're day of birth?" He asked as he moved locks of hair away from my face. I thought over a few things, every thought would come back to bringing Frank back. I would sound sad and very repetitive if I brought him up again.

"Want to go to Montana's?" I suggested. Montana's is a western-themed, steakhouse with the best steak in the state. It's my favorite restaurant.

"What else? We're getting paid today and I'm going to spend everything on you," Dennis smiled at me.

"Don't spend everything on me, I may be a Princess, but we have to pay for this place," I reminded him. He smiled and chuckled.

"Yeah, I know, but...still. I want you to be happy today," He said with such a comfort in his voice. Dennis is only my friend, him and I have no romantic attraction. I smiled back at him and laid my head on his chest. I closed my eyes for a second, but remembered the time.

"We have to get ready or else!" I cried and jumped from the couch.

"All work and no play makes the Princess a dull girl!" Dennis cried as I ran into my room. I was still in my pajama's. Blue tank top and strawberry shortcake pajama bottoms. Very comfortable and lose. I stripped myself of my warm and cozy pj's and slipped into a pair of dark, blue jeans with a few band patches around the legs and an Aerosmith t-shirt. My hair was straight from the night before, as gross as it may sound, I didn't shower last night. I was too tired to get out of bed. So welcoming and comforting...it drags you into it's sweet abyss. It's haunting spell of drowsiness never lets go until the day after. Damn you bed, from now on I'm sleeping on the floor.
Dennis was ready to go after about five minutes of just brushing his teeth lazily and brushing his hair. He's not a work person. As surprising at it is Dennis was telling me to hurry. I yelled at him that I was trying as I had a mouth full of toothpaste and gagging on a toothbrush. I rinsed and spit then we were on our way through the rushing city. Cars passed by going twice the speed limit which made me feel like I was going die. Through the rushing cars and blocked daylight, I saw a man standing by the road. He was short and dark, hidden by the shadows. I knew who it was and why he had popped out all of a sudden. My mind sees what it wants to see and it wants to see Frank.

I've been ignoring these hallucinations for a long time. My old therapist told me it was just trauma and my mind playing tricks on me, but sometimes, deep in the back of my wanting mind I think it's real. I even want to jump out of the car and hug him, but I was always scared of getting hit by a car or when I wrap my arms around Frank's shadow he would just evaporate into the air. He would disappear and remind me so cruelly of my past.