Status: hiatus

A Girl Unknown to Love

The Mate Challenge

They all wake up when they hear someone screaming. They run out to see Rei pinned to a tree, in her warrior clothing with Sesshomaru holding her there.

“Who are you, woman?” Sesshomaru demands. Rei glares at him.

“Just who the hell are you to demand such things from me?!” Rei demands in a determined voice. Kagome takes a step forward, only to have Inuyasha grab a hold of her arm.

“But…” Kagome whispers. Inuyasha shakes his head, and motions for her to watch.

“Answer my question, or you will regret it.” Sesshomaru says, tightening his hold on her neck. She merely looks into his eyes. “You sure have guts, don’t you?” Sesshomaru says, grinning at the challenge in her eyes.

“Let me go, and fight like a man!” Rei shouts, grabbing a hold of his arm, and squeezing. Sesshomaru winces in pain.

“She actually made Sesshomaru wince in pain…” Inuyasha whispers, watching his brother’s expression turn to one of anger.

“You, woman. Are asking for it.” Sesshomaru says, glaring down at her. She merely grins.

“Well, shall we see just who is ‘asking for it’ as you so bluntly put it?” Rei asks, grinning in triumph. Sesshomaru looks at her in surprise before releasing her so she falls to the ground, but instead of landing on her butt, she lands on her feet, perfectly.

“Hm…” Sesshomaru mutters, looking at her with interest.

“Well, are we going to fight, or not?” Rei demands, getting into a defensive position. Sesshomaru grin as he tightens his grin on Tokijin, his fighting sword, but before he can draw it, Rei disappears. Sesshomaru stands up, and looks around, only to have his eyes widen when he feels the blade pressed against his throat.

“Well, I guess you’re better than I thought.” Sesshomaru says, looking over his shoulder at the woman perched on his shoulders.

“Thanks.” Rei says, smiling at the complement. With a fluid motion, Sesshomaru swings around, bringing his blade up to an attack that would have cut Rei in half….had she not jumped off his back as though she could read his movements. Sesshomaru furrows his eyebrows in confusion. In yet another fluid motion, he does his most recently learned move, consisting of jumping in the air, and grabbing a hold of the opponent, while making them believe you’re using your sword for the attack, he has her pinned against the tree. When Kagome goes to run toward Rei again, Inuyasha grabs a hold of her again.

“Come on, Inuyasha! This is getting too serious! She’s going to get hurt!” Kagome says in a worry filled voice. Inuyasha sighs as he points toward the two of them. When Kagome looks, her eyes widen. “What the…Sesshomaru is actually….” Kagome begins, but stops when she’s unable to complete her sentence.

“Smiling.” Inuyasha says, nodding. Sango, Miroku, and Shippo look toward Sesshomaru in surprise.

“He really….is!” Shippo says, eyes wide.

“I’ve finally found you.” Sesshomaru says, looking down at Rei’s pinned form underneath him. She looks up at him in confusion.

“What are you talking about? Who are you?” Rei questions, looking at Sesshomaru like he had lost his mind.

“I’m Sesshomaru.” Sesshomaru says, looking down at her.

“Would you please get off me now?” Rei asks, looking at Sesshomaru’s body currently pinning her to the tree.

“Sorry, but I know you too well.” Sesshomaru says, shaking his head. Rei looks at him in confusion.

“What the fuck are you talking about?” Rei demands, pushing against him in an attempt to removing him from touching her. Sesshomaru looks down at her with a smile.

“Rei Dano.” Sesshomaru says, looking down at her. They both hear a collective gasp from nearby, but ignore it.

“How do you….know my name…” Rei says, looking in Sesshomaru’s eyes.

“Guess you don’t remember. Makes sense after they wiped your memory over 300 years ago.” Sesshomaru says, nodding in understanding. Rei’s eyes widen.

“There is no way in hell I’m that old!” Rei shouts, looking up at him, completely flabbergasted.

“Actually, you’re 450 years old.” Sesshomaru says with a shrug as though it’s completely natural for people to get that old.

“Um…your nuts.” Rei says, her left eye twitching. Sesshomaru shakes his head.

“Actually, I’m perfectly sane.” Sesshomaru says, smiling. Yet another collective gasp comes from the others.

“What in the world is wrong with the five of you?” Rei demands, pushing Sesshomaru off her, and getting to her feet. They all watch as Sesshomaru flies back about ten feet, landing on his ass.

“Um…Rei…” Kagome whispers. Rei looks at her in confusion.

“What is it?” Rei asks, looking at her friend.

“You really shouldn’t have done that. Um…Sesshomaru isn’t really the most understanding man around.” Kagome says, watching something behind Rei with worry. Rei sighs as she looks over her shoulder when two arms wrap around her waist.

“What do you think you’re doing?” Rei demands, glaring up at Sesshomaru.

“I’m slightly irritated right now.” Sesshomaru says in a strained voice. Rei looks up at him with confusion.

“And I care about that because….why?” Rei demands, pulling out of Sesshomaru’s grip. She turns away from him. She walks around ten feet away from him, and stops. “Shall we finish this?” Rei questions, taking a defensive position. Sesshomaru looks at her with an amused look.

“Haven’t I already won?” Sesshomaru asks, leaning on his sword, which is embedded a few inches into the ground.

“No way!” Rei says, playing with a strand of her hair.

“I seem to think I have. After all, I did get you underneath me.” Sesshomaru says with a grin. Rei merely shrugs.

“That didn’t last very long, did it?” Rei asks, grinning mischievously at Sesshomaru, who grins hugely.

“Fine. You shall have your fight.” Sesshomaru says, standing up straight and pulling his sword out of the ground. Rei grins as she returns to her defensive position.

Meanwhile, Kagome’s watching the two’s bickering with wide eyes.

“She shouldn’t be doing this!” Kagome says, going to take a step forward. Inuyasha grabs a hold of her hand, and pulls her toward the hut. “What are you doing, Inuyasha!” Kagome demands. He motions toward the two.

“They’re…that is…Sesshomaru is…um…” Inuyasha begins, stuttering as he tries to explain. Kagome looks at Sango and Miroku when Miroku speaks up.

“They’re participating in a mate challenge.” Miroku says in a worried voice. Kagome’s eyes widen.

“A WHAT!!” Kagome demands, turning to look at Inuyasha.

“A Mate Challenge is when the female challenges the male to a fight in order to see if he can beat her. If he can, the male is almost guaranteed to earn the female as a mate…” Inuyasha mutters, looking away from Kagome. She glares at him.

“So you’re telling me that my best friend challenged Sesshomaru to see if he would make a good mate for her?” Kagome questions. Miroku and Sango look at each other.

“It’s more likely that she’s going on instinct. I mean, you said that she’s been alone ever since she was little…” Sango says, shaking her head. Kagome glances outside, only to quickly look away when she sees Rei beaten up and bloody.

“Then the fight shouldn’t count!” Kagome shouts, going to run to the door. She glares at Inuyasha when he steps in front of it. “Get out of my way, Inuyasha!” Kagome shouts.

“You can’t go out there, Kagome.” Inuyasha says, shaking his head. Kagome looks at him with hurt eyes.

“She’s my friend, Inuyasha.” Kagome whispers, collapsing to the ground.

“But if you go out there, there’s a good chance that you won’t survive.” Sango says, sitting down next to Kagome, who looks up at her in confusion.

“What do you mean?” Kagome asks in a quiet voice. Sango smiles sadly.

“During the Mate Challenge, the only things that the two of them see is each other. It’s a way to eliminate all distractions and make it a fair fight.” Sango says, looking toward the window.

“The only thing we can do is stay in here, and pray that she wins.” Miroku says, collapsing against the door, and sighs.

Two hours pass, and Rei’s almost at her breaking point. She’s leaning over, breathing hard as she shakes from exhaustion.

“Are you giving up?” Sesshomaru questions, standing above her. She growls as she straightens back up, and runs at him. She raises her sword to strike him, but just before she brings it down, she falls toward the ground, at her limit. “Looks like I win.” Sesshomaru says as he catches her, and picks her up bridal style. He turns when he hears people run out of the hut nearby. “Ah, little brother.” Sesshomaru says in a disgusted voice. Inuyasha glares at him.

“Rei!” Kagome shouts, running toward her, only to stop when Sesshomaru growls at her. She takes a few steps back.

“What the fuck is your problem, Sesshomaru!” Inuyasha shouts as he steps in front of Kagome.

“You will stay away from my mate.” Sesshomaru says in a dangerous voice. Inuyasha looks at him in confusion.

“But she isn’t your mate yet! She has to accept you first.” Inuyasha says in a surprised voice.

“Stupid little brother.” Sesshomaru says as he turns around, and flies away, carrying Rei.
♠ ♠ ♠
Mwahaha!! I got this one up!
Peace!!
KcA