Status: Finished

Animal Attraction

Bookworm

I went back to my bedroom and then looked at the mirror. I was smiling. My smile slowly fell. Why was I smiling? Because of Paul? I groaned. I was smiling because I liked what had happened. It wasn’t normal for me to be smiling because of Paul. It was usually a scowl or a frown. I changed into my pajamas and when I was brushing my hair, Angie walked in.

“I didn’t know you had a boyfriend,” Angie said.

I raised an eyebrow, “Are we sharing stuff?”

Angie rolled her eyes.

“He’s not my boyfriend,” I said.

“I saw through the window how you two were making out like monkeys,” Angie said.

I narrowed my eyes, “You told on me?”

“Someone had to, otherwise you two would’ve shagged right there!” Angie said.

“Shagged?” I asked. “Oh, never mind, I’ve seen Austin Powers, I know what shagging is and NO! I would never do that with him!”

“Fine, then why don’t you introduce me to him?”

“He’s eighteen and you’re underage!” I set my brush down and walked closer to her and she cowered down. I had no idea where the jealousy was coming from.

“So? He’s with you.”

“He’s only a year older than I am,” I argued. “And I’ve known him my whole life.”

“And you say he’s not your boyfriend, yet you’re acting like a jealous girlfriend,” Angie smirked.

I glared at her, “You are pathetic. I don’t feel a thing for Paul.”

“Then, why did you kiss him?”

“It’s none of your business and I suggest you keep your nose out of it,” I threatened.

Angie walked out of the room.

“Good riddance,” I muttered as I got under the covers and set the alarm on.

The next morning I woke up to my alarm. I moved the covers and got out of bed.

“Turn that shit off,” Angie groaned.

“Make me,” I said as I took my towel and went to the bathroom and took a shower.

I got out with a towel wrapped around my body. I went inside of my room and Angie was on my bed. I sighed. One good deed wouldn’t hurt me so I didn’t kick her out of my bed. I got dressed and did my hair. I was done in an hour, I walked downstairs and then my phone rang. I flipped it open.

“Hello?”

“I can’t take you to work, Erin,” Jared panted. It sounded like he was running, which he was.

“Why? What happened?” I asked.

“I can’t say much, but it’s a you-know-what and I have a meeting with the pack. I have to remember to keep this conversation out of my head,” Jared muttered.

“Ugh, damn vamps, I’ll call Mr. Markey and tell him I don’t have a ride,” I said.

“Just ask your dad, Erin,” Jared said.

“Jar, mind your own business, bye,” I hung up.

“Who was it?” My mom’s voice came.

I walked into the kitchen and she was eating.

“Jared, he can’t take me to work,” I said.

“I’ll wake Landon so he could take you,” she said.

“Thanks, mom,” I said.

“I have a better idea, you go ask him,”

“I take back my thanks,” I muttered. “Why can’t you?”

“Because I’m not the one who needs a ride.”

“Can’t you take me? Just call work and say you’re going to be a tad late,” I put my hands together and begged.

“He is your father, Erin, he’s not going to bite your head off,” she said.

“He might,” I mumbled.

“Do you want to stay all day here with Angie and the rest of them?” she whispered.

“Is that a challenge?” I raised an eyebrow.

“Just go!” My mom yelled.

I whined and went to the extra bedroom and knocked on it softly.

Seconds later a groggy voice spoke, “Yes?”

“Uh, Landon?” I asked.

“Hold on,” he said.

I stood outside the door and waited for him. A minute or two later he opened the door.

“Yeah, sweetheart,” he said.

It took me a second to respond back. The word ‘sweetheart’ caught me off guard.

“I--uh… Jared can’t take me to work and I need a ride to work,” I said.

“Just take the car,” he said as he offered me the keys.

I smiled, “Really?”

“Yes, I’m sure your mother won’t mind,” he said.

“Yes, she does,” my mother said as she joined us. “She’s grounded for stea--”

“Borrowing,” I corrected.

“--ling the car,” my mother gave me a stern look.

“Ollie, just let her, it would be better that way,” Landon said.

“Ollie?” I asked.

My mother blushed.

“It was her nickname,” Landon said.

My mom and Landon stared at each other and I looked back and forth between them.

Did I just see sparks? I thought. No, absolutely not!

I cleared my throat and took the car keys.

“Thanks, Landon,” I said. “Mom, can I talk to you?”

My mom nodded and followed me outside to the porch.

“What was that?” I asked.

“What are you talking about?”

“Mom, I might be slow but I’m not dumb, I saw ogling.”

“Ogling?” My mom asked.

“Between you and Landon,” I said.

“Honey, there’s nothing. You’re seeing things.” She laughed.

“You don’t have any feelings for him, right?” I asked.

“No,” she said and avoided eye contact.

“Oh, gosh, you do!” I said.

“What--no! Erin, what Landon and I had was a fling, but something beautiful did come from it. You,” she said.

I rolled my eyes, “Yeah, such an original line, mom. I have to go but I’m keeping my eyes on both of you,” I warned her.

I parked the car just outside the bookstore. I walked in and the little bell ringed. Mr. Markey peeked his head out from the cashier counter.

“Ah, Erica, good to see you again,” Mr. Markey smiled.

“It’s Erin, Mr. Markey,” I sighed as I placed my bag down on the cashier counter.

“I’ll remember it… eventually,” he joked. “Today you’re going to finish the dusting.”

“Yeah, I know.”

I got more towels and pledge. I took out my MP3 and went to Otep and picked Smash the Control Machine. I banged my head to the beat and sang softly the lyrics. It was a new band I discovered a few weeks ago and I fell in love with their music.

It was a long time before I finished, but when I finished with the dusting it was already three o’clock. I was so proud of myself. I grinned proudly as I walked back to the front of the store. Mr. Markey was impressed he thought I wasn’t going to make it.

“Now, what?” I asked.

“How about inventory? You good at math?”

I groaned, “A bit… not really.”

“Fine, I guess I’ll do that. Why don’t you just arrange the books if they’re misplaced?”

“I noticed you don’t really have any… Young Adult books,” I said.

“Yes, I know that,” he said.

“I bet if you got books for teenagers you would get a lot more customers,” I said. The entire time I was there not a single person walked inside or glanced and it was the summer! Teenagers kept passing by but no one wanted to go in.

“Those books rot children’s minds!” Mr. Markey said. “Not one of them know who Nathaniel Hawthorne was and how beautiful his work is.”

“I do, but that’s because my mom got me into it,” I said.

“Teenagers today want books that they don’t have to think a lot about,” Mr. Markey said.

“Symbolism is kind of hard, I still don’t get it, but I know how to find it and usually what it means,” I said.

Mr. Markey smiled, “I knew you were a book worm.”

I scoffed, “So I enjoy more mature books, it does not make me a bookworm.”

Mr. Markey laughed, “Take tomorrow off, bookworm.”

Hours later it was time to go home. I took out my phone and saw that I had five missed calls. I frowned and saw that it was from a number I didn’t know, but the first two were from Jared. I called back.

I reached the car.

“Erin!” Jared said more out of breath than before.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked.

“Where are you?” Jared asked.

“Um… just outside my work, why?”

“Paul is looking for you,” Jared said.

“So?” I asked.

“It’s the you-know-what… a vamp is around and he’s not like the Cullen’s and he just killed two hikers at La Push!” Jared said.

“What? Oh, my god! Wait, why is Paul looking for me, then? Shouldn’t he be out protecting the town?” I asked as I got inside of the car.

Jared mumbled something to himself.

“Just… ugh! Damn it,” Jared said.

“What?” I asked. “I didn’t do anything!” I yelled. “Don’t go off on me.”

“I’m sorry… I’m just mad at Paul!” Jared said. “Look, if he finds you please remember that he thinks that you don’t know about vamps and us, I would get in so much trouble.”

“I know, Jar, I made you tell me. I’m keeping your secret, no worries,” I assured. “I’m going home. How’s Kim?”

“I’m going to her place right now,” Jared said.

“Are you going to tell her what’s going on?” I asked as I turned on the car.

“If she asks about the meeting then yeah, I can’t lie to her,” Jared said.

“Kim isn’t made of glass, Jar. Give her some credit, she’s with a shape shifter, I’d never do that… well not officially.”

Jared snorted, “Oh, I mean, okay. Call me when you get home safe. Oh and don’t hang outside your porch, it’s not safe tonight until we get the leech. ”

I ignored his little snort. “All right.”

My phone rang with that number I didn’t know.

I answered.

“Hello?”

“It’s over five, you should be at home,” a male voice said.

“Who is this?” I asked.

“The drive from Port Angeles to La Push isn’t that much, you should be home.”

“Paul?” I asked.

“Yeah,” he said.

“Did Jared give you my number?” I asked.

“Doesn’t matter,” Paul said.

“Why are you agitated?”

“I’m not,” he snapped.

I hung up on him. I would not be talked to like that. I drove back home. I ignored his calls. I got home at six. I saw Paul at my porch. I turned off the car and he walked over to me. He made a move to almost hug me, but then he didn’t.

“Why are you here?” I asked.

“I wanted to see that you got home safe,” he said as he shoved his hands in his sweat pants.

“Why shouldn’t I?” I wanted to see if he would tell me.

Paul seemed to have trouble with something. I was surprised he was having a hard time. He was usually very suave around me. He kept his cool and right there he looked like a mess.

“It’s the woods… you know there’s… animals… and stuff,” he mumbled.

“Well, I’m here in one piece,” I gestured to myself. “I have all of my four limbs.”

“Don’t go outside to your porch,” he said.

“Yeah, Jared told me the same thing,” I cursed at myself in my mind.

“Jared told you? Why?” Paul growled and in that half second he went from agitated to pissed.

“No, he just said I shouldn’t,” I said.

Paul relaxed then a howl was heard, it was faint but I heard it, “I gotta go,” he said.

“Nature calling you?” I joked, but Paul didn’t like it. He seemed to think I knew more than I let on, which I did. “Gosh, can’t take a joke, Mr. Sensi--”

He kissed me softly on the lips. It was a peck, but he lingered. I could say he trapped me because the car was behind me, but he didn’t move my lips along with his. I kissed him back.

My heart filled with joy and then he pulled away. He winked at me and ran.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hello dears, thanks for reading. Leave me some love and comment, por favor.

Here's a banner by ruby1030

by me:
Image

by Patty, check out her story called Poppy Jenning's Revenge
Image