Status: Too be continued....Currently working on the nineth chapter.

Vampire Hunter - Let's Stake Them All

Chapter Four: But...

My eyes were way too heavy to open. I tried to force them open until someone spoke.

“Just relax.” The voice was unfamiliar but I did as she said. Her voice reminded me of honey. Or maybe it was something else. I couldn’t exactly place it. I was thinking clearly. I stopped trying to open my eyes.

“How is she Elicia?” I heard a familiar voice. It was Andros. His voice sound kind and caring, something I had never heard from him. This wasn’t saying much since I’ve only known him for a few hours, but for some reason I was happy to hear his voice. It meant I wasn't in some strange lady’s house. Wait, what? Did I hit my head? I heard him chuckle. Damn it, I forgot he could hear thoughts. “She’s fine.”

“She’s still having trouble opening her eyes but otherwise, yes she’s fine.” I heard the shuffling of feet and I knew I was alone with him again. A dreaded feeling washed over me.

“Am I that hard to be around?” He asked. I placed my hand over my eyes and winced.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean for you to hear that. Ugh, why does my head hurt so much?” I said as I rubbed my forehead.

“You lost a lot more blood then I suspected. You passed out on me in your house. So I brought you to mine so I could tend to you.”

“You mean so you could keep me here. That was your original plan was it not? Make me your prisoner.”

“Yes my plan was to bring you back with me.”

I rubbed my head again. “But…”

“No, no ‘buts’. That was my plan.” I wasn’t buying it. His tone suggested there was a ‘but’. But I wasn’t going to pry, I had the worse headache and all I wanted to do was to get rid of it.

“Where am I at anyways?” I spoke softly so that the loudness would bother my headache.

“Here,” He handed me an icepack. “You’re at my house.” Of course I was. Part me wanted to see what his house looked like but other part me wanted to run far away.

“Why do you hate me so much?” I wish he would think before he spoke. That was the dumbest question I think I’ve ever been asked by the man who killed my father and possibly the rest of my family. He didn’t say anything for a few minutes. I didn’t want to talk to him. Let me correct that, I never wanted to talk to him. Really, what was the point? There was no way he would be able to show me humanity from his kind. Sure he was taking care of me but that was probably all part of his plan. For all I know he poisoned me so I would feel this way. I mean, come on, what person has a hard time opening their eyes just from the loss of blood? Nobody I know! Did he honestly think I was that stupid? I bet all the crap he told me about feeding on animals was a lie. Something to pull me in, I was so aggravated at myself for even believing a word he says.

It wasn’t until I heard his feet shuffle that I realized I had forgotten he was even still there. I don’t care; I hope he heard every thought that went through my head. As soon as I am able I’m out of here. You hear that! I heard mumbling in the distance and knew he had heard me. Oh God, what was this feeling? Was I feeling sorry for the leech? No, that was anger and betrayal. But he can’t betray me if I don’t trust him. I learned a long time ago, you have to trust some first in order to be betrayed. And most recently, with Paul. I hated speaking ill of him but he did betray me.

It wasn’t until a few hours later I could finally open my eyes. No, I didn’t take in the room. The only thing I did was find the door that would take me out of this place. I slowly moved every muscle in my body. Each of them were extremely sore from the fight. My head still throbbed but it wasn’t as bad as it was just earlier. I looked around for my belongings. I found my daggers to the right of me on the table. My jacket was nowhere to be found. He must have left it behind. I knew he wouldn’t have brought my bike so I’ll be walking out of here. I wasn’t too keen on that idea. It’s hard to escape a vampire with their speed and all. I hadn’t really thought it through and honestly I didn’t plan on it. I just wanted far away from this place.

“Leaving so soon, hmm?” He was leaning up against the doorway. He was wearing just jeans. No shirt and no shoes. Of course, cocky a little are we? Nobody wants to see his naked ass. “Interesting, no one has ever complained before.”

“You know it’s really rude to eavesdrop.” I said dryly as I put my boots on. I thought having my family murdered was worse but I think having someone invade your thoughts and emotion is worse. I took a deep breath in, rolled my eyes and exhaled. Bringing up my family made the whole in my chest open wider. My thoughts went to revenge. I would find and kill the person who did this. That includes you. I swear if you did it you’ll regret ever living on this world.

“I’m starting to think you’re the one who needs to show you have humanity.” I was caught off guard by his comment. It only angered me more. I stood straight up.

“Me? Humanity? My family was murdered! And I have to show my humanity?” What an insensitive callous person. “What right do you have to judge me?” I yelled.

“The same right you have to judge me.” I opened my mouth to retaliate but I quickly shut it. He was right. He was only judging me the same way I was judging him. In my suffering had I become selfish? I shook my head. NO. I didn’t kill things to sustain my life.

“Think about that. Don’t you kill vampires? You’re a hunter; it’s was sustains you.“

“Don’t you dare compare me to you! We are nothing alike!” He raised his eyebrow me. It was like he enjoyed me getting flustered. Once I saw the smile on his face I knew that’s exactly what it was.

“Would it be bad to say ‘you’re so cute when you get mad’?” I just wanted to rip his head off. I let out a grunt. I needed out of here. I walked passed him barely brushing his arms. He didn’t try to stop me or even follow me. He just stayed in the door way. It started to rain and I could feel it falling onto my face. I stopped and looked straight up hoping the rain would wash away all this. The droplets were warm and inviting, providing some hope. Was it so wrong of me to want it all washed away? I had been alone even when my family was alive and now that there were gone, what did I have left? As I stood there memories washed over me.

”Abigail! Dinner’s ready!” I didn’t want to go in. I wasn’t finished with building my fort. Dinner could wait. I wasn’t that hungry anyways.

“Be!” Great, mom was sending out Theresa. She couldn’t say my name right and it annoyed me. I told her to call me Abby to make it easier. So I got the name ‘be’. I rolled my eyes and continued to build.

“Go inside Theresa.” I told her but she just stood and watched me. She pointed to my fort with yearning eyes. “I’ll let you inside if you promise not to tell mom, ok?” She shook her head. She crawled inside and I followed after her. It wasn’t much of fort since I was hiding it from mom. It was made from a sheet I took off the clothesline and a few bushes. It didn’t hold anything in it. It didn’t have to. Theresa was so amused by it. We sat there not saying anything for awhile. We both appreciated it without words.

We eventually went in for dinner but as soon as we could we went back to fort. Each trip we made out there we would try and sneak something in there with us. One day when we were sneaking some items we noticed the fort moving. We were so afraid an animal was in it. But when we crawled through the opening there sat father.

“This is nice girls.” He smiled at us. He never told mom about the fort and for weeks we would sit out there. We never said a word we just enjoyed each other’s company.


I could feel tears falling with the rain. I fell to my knees, threw my hands up and cried out. I was really alone. All those years wishing my family would just give me some space. What I wouldn’t give to have those moments back. I would have done things differently had I known they wouldn’t be here now. So many times, I slammed the door in my mother’s face or told my father I hated him. I even remembering telling Theresa I wished she was never born. I cried harder. Everything I lived for, everything I had taken for granted, and everything I never got to say; now it was too late.

I felt his arms wrap around me and I took his embrace. I didn’t want to fight. I didn’t want to live anymore. I didn’t deserve to live if my family didn’t. I could feel my body tremble as he started to rock me back and forth. He continued to rock until my crying slowed. I felt him lifted me and carry me off. My vision was too blurred to notice where.

When I woke up later I wasn’t in the same room I was earlier. I didn’t know what day it was or how long I slept for. I just knew I didn’t know what to with my life after this. I wanted revenge but I also wanted to just end my life. If I died another hunter would come along and take my place. She can deal with this. I hate responsibility like this. I didn’t mind the responsibility of doing chores or school work. Or even a job but protecting the humans I surround? I’m not sure I’m right for the job anymore. Maybe I should just agree to the peace treaty and not worry about the humans anymore. I’ll just agree and then kill myself. That would solve a lot things for me. But could I really do that? Lead them to their own destruction? There are a lot of other hunters out there, why do I have to make this decision.

“Your father kept a lot of things from you.” Again he was leaning in the doorway dressed exactly the same. A faded pair of blue jeans, no shirt and no shoes.

“Can’t you put some clothes on?” I said as I ran my hand through my hair. “And what do you know about what my father has told me?”

“No; and just reading your thoughts tells me everything.”

“I really wish you’d stop doing that. It’s really annoying.”

“It’s really handy, actually.” I rolled my eyes at him. He just liked being the alpha male in control.

“Alpha?” He laughed. “I’m a vampire not a werewolf. Which by the way have you ever killed one?’

“Not exactly…I wasn’t really aware there were any left.” He smirked.

“Like I said, there’s a lot your father didn’t tell you.” I gave him a mocking face then rolled my eyes.

“Why did you want to know if I’ve ever killed a werewolf before?”

“Because I have a qualm with one and he’s on his way here.”

“Okay?” What was he getting at? Wait, he needed my help. I laughed and threw up my hands. “No, I won’t get in the middle of this.”

“Wait if I told you; one you’d get to fight with a katana laced with silver and two he could be the one who killed your mother and sister.” Did he really have to bring that up? But you know what, it makes sense. Their blood was everywhere but their bodies were nowhere to be found. Oh god. It was a werewolf. It made perfect sense. But when it came down to it, it was still Andros’ fault their dead.

“By any chance, will that katana kill you?” He just laughed. I sat there serious as can be. I know silver can hurt vampires but was it utterly deadly to them? I would love to watch him cry out in pain. He gawked at me. He opened his mouth to say something but instead didn’t. I smiled. Finally we understand each other.

“Here, put some clothes on.” I looked down and realized I was naked this whole time. I pulled up the covers quickly and glared at him for not telling me. “I would have but you weren’t being very nice to me.” He left the room and I flopped back down on the bed. This was like the worse week ever. I felt childish saying it but what could compare to this. I put on the clothes he gave me. I was in the middle of pulling the shirt he gave over my head when I saw it.

It was a picture frame that held a picture of Andros with a woman. I ran my fingers down the delicate and intricate frame. It was lined with cast iron rose stem. If you ran your finger down it the right way you could actually prick your finger. My attention was pulled from the frame to the woman in the picture. She wore a beautiful smile that reminded me of my mother. Her smile said she was a calm yet conservative person. That her arms were always opened to you. I yearned to know her.

“That is not yours to touch!” He yelled as he yanked it from my hands. He threw it hard against his chest gripping so tightly I could see blood trickling down his hands. “Promise you won’t ever touch this again.” I didn’t know what to say. I was shocked by what I was seeing. “Promise!” He yelled again.

“Ok, I’m sorry. I promise I won’t touch it again.” He left abruptly. I stood there taking in what just happened. A picture frame of him and a woman…she was his love. Does the great and almighty Andros have a soft spot?
♠ ♠ ♠
Feedback please! Please let me know if you like where it's going.