Status: finished.

Ophelia

It's Too Late.

"How is dangerous?" Jasper asked as Carlisle seemed down with his little speech. He paused and cocked his head to the side as if he was confused by Jasper's simple question.

"Is that really a question? Think about it," he insisted and watched Jasper as he tried to think of the appropriate answer.

"Let's see," he paused and scratched his chin, "she has a double life type situation...she's like two people. If her 'human' side got news of being a vampire or us being vampires...she would tell people. That would expose us."

"Spot on,"

"But who would believe her? That would draw more attention to her and she doesn't seem to like that very much," he insisted and started pacing around the room.

"But who would she tell? She'd be selective and tell the right people. Ophelia would make sure that the people that needed to know what we were would know. She's smart, you cannot forget that," Carlisle explained.

"So what can we do about her? If she's just a threat all the time?" he wondered and looked over at Carlisle. His face was grave and had a serious look about it.

"There are some things humans don't want to do, and there are things that we don't want to do. There are few things that we don't want to do, but nobody wants to kill," Carlisle sighed and rubbed his temples.

"Kill?!"

"Ophelia needs to be killed. If she's not, she's a danger to our kind,"

"But she's lived for hundreds of years without telling anyone!"

"So she has. But it has been a few hundred years too long. It seems our presence has aggravated her even more, "

"I wouldn't let anyone do this," Jasper insisted as he headed towards the door.

"Jasper,"

"No. I have to disagree with you on this one. It's not right and not fair," he whispered and whipped out of the room.

"Jasper!" Carlisle called, but he got no other answer. Jasper was gone.

****

Ophelia was walked around in the forest, enjoying the misty air and the moisture clinging to the tips of the tree branches. She smelled all the various scents in the air and it calmed her down. When she was down in the forest by herself was when she was most at ease. She thought about how nice, though, it would be to be there with Jasper. She let herself have a small grin as she scanned the horizon for a deer.

She heard the trees rustle slightly; her eyes snapped towards the foliage and she smelled someone. Not a human someone, but someone like her.

"Jasper?" she asked quietly. Even quietly for a vampire.

Just as she turned, there stood Jasper Hale in all his glory. His beautiful face was contorted and she wasn't quite sure what to make out of his sudden appearance.

"Ophelia, you recognize me?" he asked as he approached her and put his hand on her shoulder.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"Becuase...I...never mind," he paused and looked away before meeting her eyes, "you have to get out of here."

"Why?"

"Because it's not safe for you to be here anymore," he didn't want to tell her the whole truth because he knew she wouldn't believe him. Then Ophelia would freak and treat them all like idiots.

"Why?"

"I can't tell you...you just have to trust me," he hoped she would go along with it.

"I don't know..."

"Please!"

"Fine," she cocked her head to the side and scrutinized him closely. He reached for hand and started running, "what are you doing?!"

"We have to leave this place,"

"But my life is here," she pleaded.

"Not anymore," he said as he barely avoided colliding with a tree, "you can make a new one again. Just like all the other times."
♠ ♠ ♠
I apologize for the long wait!
Comments please....??

<3