Pushing My Limits

Diciassette

I leaned over the seat to kiss Chris' cheek before I opened the door and got out. He parked just around the corner of my house so I could go inside to pack before meeting him. I got a text from Dad earlier asking where I was, and several phone calls. Knowing him, he's out looking for me. This gives me enough time to get in and out before he's back.

I walked into the house and quickly jogged up the stairs. It was empty, though I didn't know how much longer it would be empty. Entering my closet, I grabbed two suitcases and threw everything I could inside it before heading to my bathroom. I grabbed my necessities and eventually ran through the check list in my mind to make sure I had everything.

I wouldn't leave a note, simply because I couldn't. I was to go to Mom's, but not before making a quick stop along the way with Chris. Quickly, I grabbed both of my bags and made my way downstairs without tripping over myself.

Making my way out of the house, I turned the corner and Chris helped my load everything into the car before sitting in the front seat. And as we drove away, I didn't look back.

^^^^^

"No one's seen her?" Matt was frantic when he faced his friends and they told him there was no sign of his daughter.

"We've searched every inch of Huntington, Matt," Johnny informed him.

"She's never done this before," He replied softly.

"Maybe we should head back to the house. What if she's there?" Brian suggested, but Matt wasn't convinced.

"I should have been there," Matt's glossy eyes were covered by his aviators as his sister-in-law pulled him into a hug.

"Why don't me and Johnny head to the house and you guys can keep looking. This way if she comes back we'll be there," Lacey volunteered.

With that said, they loaded their cars and were off. Lacey and Johnny headed to Matt's house as the others left to keep searching for Kathrine.

^^^^^

"Mom?" I asked when she answered the phone.

"Hi, Sweetie!" She was ecstatic to hear my voice, "What's up?"

"Um... Can I go stay with you for a while?" I asked.

"Kathrine, what happened?" She asked, "Did your father upset you?"

"Kind of. I've just been stressed and everything is just not working out right now."

"What about school?"

"Sign me up on line," I told her and she sighed.

"Okay. How are you getting here?"

"My friend Chris. Don't worry, I trust him and everything will be okay."

"I don't know, Kat. I'd feel much better if I went to pick you up or if Michelle brought you down."

"No, Mom. Please, I have to do something on the way there, so I'll be arriving tomorrow."

"Kathrine, I really don't feel comfortable," She was worried for me traveling overnight with a boy she's never met before.

"Please don't' worry, Mom and just trust me."

"If I let you do this, you have to promise you'll call me tonight and answer all of my calls and texts," She stated firmly.

"I promise, Mom," I assured.

"Be careful. I love you."

"I will and I love you too."

With that I hung up the phone and sighed, "You okay?" Chris asked.

"I'll be fine," I told him.

"Are you sure leaving your Dad out of the blue is the best thing?" He questioned.

"Yeah," I replied enthusiastically, "I mean, I never get to see my Mom and I miss her. Besides, I just need to get away. There's too much family shit going on right now."

"I know how that feels," He scoffed and I smiled.

"I'm glad you're here for me," I told him and he turned to me.

"I'll always be here for you, Kathrine."

^^^^^

After two more hours of searching, Zacky had practically dragged Matt back to the house where Johnny and Lacey were waiting. Matt ran inside as soon as the car stopped and quickly met with his friends, "Is she here?" He asked excitedly and Johnny shook his head sadly.

Matt angrily ran up the stairs and barged into his daughter's room. As he looked around, he could feel his heart drop.

The closet door was wide open, and from what he could see- it was empty. Her drawers were all open and emptied. He wandered to the bathroom and noticed everything cleared out of the medicine cabinet and drawers. The bed no longer held the teddy bear that was her favorite childhood toy, and a few pictures were missing from her wall- particularly the ones with him.

"I'm sorry, Man," Zacky tried to put a hand on his friend's shoulder, but Matt shrugged it off.

"It's all my fault. If I would have just stepped up like a good father, then I would have known what's wrong," Matt was on the verge of tears.

"We're not perfect. No parent is," Zack was trying his best to comfort his friend.

"My life is gone. She left," Matt choked on his last word, "I have nothing anymore!" He exclaimed as he was no longer embarrassed to cry, "First Val, then Jimmy, and now my own fucking daughter!"

"Hey, we're not sure about Jimmy yet, remember? The doctor said he could pull through. So before you give up all hope, count your blessings," Zacky warned.

"What blessings, Zack?" Matt spat.

"Well, you have the band. Also, there's a possibility of Jimmy pulling through, and not to mention tour," He explained, but Matt shook his head.

"I've got nothing."

^^^^^

The car pulled into a rather small parking lot and we parked in a visitor's spot. It was well isolated. A large building with fields of green grass, all fenced in. The building wasn't as cheery as I was hoping, but when is a mental hospital ever cheerful?

Chris took my hand, lacing our fingers together as we made our way to the reception desk. A woman with cat-eye glasses and a blonde pixie cut smiled at us, "May I help you?" She asked politely. Chris squeezed my hand to ensure that he would keep his promise and do all the talking.

"We'd like to see Danielle Cordova," He stated and the nurse looked down at her computer.

"She's in her room right now. You can see her there now that she's graduated to stage two," She instructed us to go down the hall and make a left towards the rooms within the 200's.

We did so, and as we approached a door with Danielle's name tag, my heart started to race. My fingertips felt clammy, and I almost wanted to vomit. Chris held my hand tighter, sensing my emotions, and glanced down into my eyes to let me know everything was alright.

I have to do this.

The door opened and we stood in the doorway. The girl sitting on a green-sheeted cot glanced up at us. Her eyes went wide as we stood there, and in a split-second, her face adorned a wide smile, "It's you!" She exclaimed and jumped up.

She was wearing sweats and a t-shirt, provided by the facility, and she had lost some weight. Her hair was a natural brown, and no longer the red she once dyed. Her face held the emotions of a child- happy but lost.

"Hello, Danielle," I said softly. To my surprise, she rushed over and engulfed me in a hug.

"I-I knew you would come b-back!" She grinned, not minding her stuttering at all.

"I'm here," I smiled.

"T-They said you w-were just a figment of my i-imagination!" She grinned, looking into my eyes.

We sat down on the bed, Chris politely sitting on the floor. She reached for my hand and started to talk. She rambled on about her life in her new home, and how she had graduated to a second level and she was able to pick the color of her room. She was able to eat in the mess hall now, and was no longer isolated, "Do you like it here, Danielle?" I asked and she looked up at me and nodded.

"A lot. I-It's happy," She nodded again and I smiled. She glanced up again, her bottom lip quivering, "D-Does E-Eliott know I'm here?" She asked and I shook my head.

"He hasn't a clue. Don't worry, Danielle even if he does find out, he won't be able to get you. Security won't let him back," I promised and she nodded.

"H-Have y-you gone to the p-police?" I shook my head and she gave a small gasp, "Why n-not?"

"I've been a coward this whole time," I paused, "You're a strong person, Danielle, and don't ever think otherwise."

"Y-You strong too, K-Kathrine," She poked a finger gently into my shoulder and I smiled.

"Not as much as you. You were able to speak out about it. I'm to afraid to do that. You did the right thing," I smiled and she shrugged.

"N-No one believes m-me. T-They all though i-it was just d-drugs from touring too m-much," She looked at the ground sadly.

"They'll believe you soon, Danielle."

"D-Does this mean y-you'll go to he p-police?"

"No. Not yet. I will though. In time," I nodded.

"D-Did you're D-Dad ever find o-out?"

"He didn't, and it's what's been keeping me from telling anyone."

"W-Why?"

"Well, because I love my Dad very much, and if the police find out it happened when he was on tour, I might have to live with my Mom."

"I met V-Val once. She was n-nice."

"She's a wonderful woman... But Dad and I have a very strong bond."

"H-He wouldn't be a-ashamed of you, Kathrine," She looked up and smiled at me and I nodded.

"I know," I could feel tears start to form in my eyes.

"W-Why so s-sad?"

"Well, because I've waited a long time to see you again. I've tried to run for a long time. I tried to forget everything and move on. I feel better now that I know you're alright."

"S-So you d-don't hate m-me?"

"You were hurt just as bad as me, Danielle," I rubbed her shoulder.

"B-But do y-you hate m-me?" She paused, "I d-did a l-lot of bad t-things to you."

"You were doing was Elliot told you to do. I don't blame you for anything, Danielle. And I certainly don't hate you."

Danielle gave a big grin and tackled me in another enormous hug. I patted her back as I wiped my tears away. Chris joined in, muttering words of encouragement into her ear.

As we stood up and said our goodbyes, Danielle stopped us. She stood up and took hold of my upper arm, "R-Remember, K-Kathrine... You're j-just as st-strong as m-me."

"And why is that?" I asked.

"B-Because y-you didn't f-forget about E-Elizabeth."
♠ ♠ ♠
this was a toughie. have you ever volunteered at a mental hospital? it's eye opening and i was glad to somewhat share it with you all in this chapter, though it's not much.

thank you for the comments :)