‹ Prequel: Turn Right

Into My Arms

Down

While Joe and I ran side by side…it almost as if it was awkward between us. It was never awkward between us. He finally spoke up and apologized repeatedly and said the kiss meant absolutely nothing (which was 100 percent true). I told him it was fine. It wasn’t just his fault. The song just had a certain effect on both of us. I told him that…I didn’t tell him that while we were singing the song I was thinking about Nick. I know Joe would never hurt Nick like that…kissing his girlfriend…we’re both just very lucky he didn’t kiss my lips so we can play the simple kiss on the cheek as a friendly gesture. That night though…I definitely had an ear full. Nick called me…right on time for our phone date…except it wasn’t exactly what I would call a date. I looked up at the moon as I stood on my balcony. I couldn’t sleep and it was 2:00 in the morning. The conversation kept running through my mind.

Flashback

My phone started ringing and I picked up. “What the hell is this Rachael?” was what he had said before I even said anything.

“Hello to you too,” I said back as threw the blanket off me and walked out of my room, leading to my beautiful balcony that reminded me of the scene in Romeo & Juliet…too bad I couldn’t enjoy it right now.

“I’m not in the mood for your sarcasm. My own brother!” he claimed.

I sighed and open my mouth to speak…but was cut off by his ranting. He wanted to vent and just yell at me…if it helped him and calmed him down then, fine.

“Rachael I don’t even know what to say about this. Okay, I saw your you tube video with him you made from the plane and I thought it was funny, very cute but I thought nothing of it. I figured it was just some video you made because you were both bored and I shrugged it off. Then I find out he sings with you in the concert and okay, it’s not that weird, he went with you for the trip…which I didn’t even know about, might I add…”

“Oh of course. Cant forget that part,” I muttered and he paused.

If we were in person he would probably be giving me a blank stare or glaring at me. He wasn’t done though…

“If he was just singing along with you I wouldn’t have minded it. But no. It was a love song and…”

“It wasn’t a love song,” I muttered.

“Whatever! It was close to it and you had my brother singing it with you. Of all people! Then he kisses you!”

“It was nothing Nick! A simple friendly kiss!”

“That’s not what everyone else is saying!”

“Who’s everyone else Nick? The paparazzi? The interviewers? The articles?” I snapped.

I was so done with this. “Well why haven’t I heard this song before? It seems pretty intense”

“It is. It’s a very personal song and I wrote it today…”

“With Joe”

“No. Not with Joe. I wrote it in Joe’s apartment, yes, but I did not write it with him…and I was only in his apartment because I was picking him up so we could drive to the airport together”

“You know you could’ve called me first to let me know what was going on and to let me hear the song,” he shot.

“Well you’re not exactly the easiest person to get a hold of lately,” I snapped.

“You know that’s not fair”

“No, you’re right, it’s not fair. Which is why you’re yelling at me because I couldn’t call you, knowing you wouldn’t be able to talk right?” I said, now getting an attitude in my voice.

“…I wasn’t yelling at you” he mumbled, now in a gentle tone.

“You weren’t? Oh of course you weren’t. Because you’re Nick Jonas, the one who is flawless, never makes a mistake”

“You know that’s not what I think”

“Do I Nick? Do I really?”

“Well hey, it’s not exactly easy being Rachael Lewis’ boyfriend. Living up to your looks and perfection isn’t easy,” he said and I know he wanted me to hear the anger in his voice…but I also heard the love.

“Well I’m sorry I make you feel that way…look it’s late and I’m tired and I’m not in the mood to argue anymore….in fact don’t call me or text me. We’ll just talk when I go to see you at your concert if you’re still letting me”

He didn’t respond at first. “Of course I am”

“Then good bye Nicholas” I ended and hung up.


End Flashback

I sighed and just stared up at the sky. I haven’t look up at the stars in a long time. They were beautiful. I sent out a silent prayer to God…something I also haven’t done in a long time. I think it’s because I’ve lost a lot of faith lately. Can you blame me?

My POV

I sighed as I through my phone onto the sofa. I couldn’t believe any of this. I didn’t want to deal with it right now. I wanted to just have a regular relationship…does that include your girlfriend cheating with your brother in front of millions of people? I don’t think so. I looked out the buss’ window, up at the starry sky…it thought about Rachael. She loved the stars…it reminded her of home (both New Jersey and Tennessee). I sent out a silent prayer…hoping God would help me out just a little about what I should do about this…about Rachael.

Rachael's POV

The next morning I texted Demi around 8:30 knowing she‘d be woken up by my text.

Wanna go 2church with me this morning???

A few minutes later as I was brushing my teeth I received a response.

Sure. I drive?

Nah, I’ll drive. I’m in the mood for some air. Come and leave ur car here, maybe I can see if Anna will drive it to ur house later


It was meant as a joke since I have a convertible and she doesn’t.

Lol OK…You alright though?

She knew me. Better than anyone…possibly Miley…if anything, they’re tied.

Not really…Nick and I had a fight last night. U busy this morning b4 I go to the mall with Miley?

Nope. I’m all yours

Great. We’ll get some breakfast after church then?

Sounds great. See u in 20.


I took a quick shower and got dressed, ready for church. I walked downstairs to see Anna already ready for the day, walking around with her coffee in hand in the kitchen.

“Going out so early? Usually I have to pry you out of bed on weekends,” she commented.

“I know…I’m going to church with Demi though and we’re getting breakfast afterward,” She nodded.

“What are you doing today?”

“Possibly going to see Zach…”

“Do you think if you get the chance, you can somehow get Demi’s car to her house later on today? I‘m driving today so she‘s keeping her car here”

“Yea, sure…will you be alright today?…how was the fight with Nick?”

“Did I wake you?” I asked with a little concern.

“No. I just like being up at 2:00 in the morning on my days off,” she smiled and laughed lightly as I rolled my eyes at her. I leaned my arms on the island.

“Sorry…”

“It’s okay…word about you and Joe is already going around. Want me to do something?”

“Not on your day off”

“Rach, you know defending you is a 24/7 thing for me”

“I know…thanks Anna…but I’ll wait this one out”

“You want to test Nick some more”

“Yep,” I smiled and walked to the door as I heard Demi‘s car outside. “See you later,” I sang and walked out as she chuckled.

I saw Demi wearing her sunglasses as she got out of the car. I got in the drivers side, putting my own glasses on and she got in on the passengers side. She was just starring at me.

“What?” I laughed lightly as I went to turn the ignition on but she stopped me.

“Tell me what happened…Joe called me in such a panic I couldn’t even understand him at first. Then he tells me to turn on the tv and I see them talking about you two…is this what you and Nick fought about?” she asked.

“Yes it is…”

“You know Joe has been a mess ever since yesterday right? He knows it shouldn’t have happened…”

“Yes I know he knows that. We already talked about it. I’m not mad at him and he knows that…well he should know that…I’m just mad at Nick right now that’s all…can we talk about it at breakfast instead?” I asked and she nodded.

I threw my sunglasses on and starred out the window and texted Joe so we could go pick him up…Demi had agreed to let him join in on our little outing.

We got to Joe‘s apartment and he was already outside waiting. He came over to us, jumping over the back door to land in the back seat. Demi and Joe engaged in conversation as I just focused on getting to the church so I can actually talk to Joe about this face to face. I felt better and not awkward as I stayed quiet and listened to Joe and Demi talk and laughed at a few points. We all got there, walked in and sat down.

“Joe…you know I’m not mad at you,” I whispered as more people filed in.

“But now Nick is”

“So he got to you huh,” I assumed.

“Yea…he got to you too?”

“Yep…we got into this big fight…”

“Oh God,” he sighed as he threw his head back.

“It wasn’t your fault Joe we got into a fight Joe. We were bound to have one soon anyway…”

“Why do you say that?”

“Nick and I…we’ve been distant…ever since he left for his tour…”

“You guys wont…breakup will you?” Demi asked and they were both waiting for an answer.

I hesitated with my answer…opened my mouth to speak…but then the mass began and we all stood up so the father could walk in.

I tried focusing really hard on the mass and what father was saying…but Nick kept flooding into my mind. So I used him to my advantage. I prayed to God to ask him what I should do. I asked him to give me a sign. Yes, I’ve been having my doubts about God lately…but I’m trying here.

We said peace, I gave Joe and Demi hugs, they gave each other hugs...we began to shake hands with others around us, trying to stick with older figures. But when I saw a little girl looking up at me with hope, curiosity and a bright light in her eyes, I couldn’t help but smile and bend down to her level. I took her hand, shook it, said “peace be with you” and then pulled my sunglasses down slightly and winked at her. Her face lit up and I put my finger up to my lips. She nodded, understanding my motion and then looked at both Joe and Demi. I just smiled as they both smiled genuinely at the little girl and her face lit up even more.

For receiving the Eucharist, we kept a low profile. We took our sunglasses off, showing the priest some respect but keeping our heads down until we got up to him. I smiled at him, looking at him in the eyes, he smiled back and as soon as we all got our piece, we left, avoiding the big crowd there would be for the end of the mass. We walked to my car.

“Here. You drive,” I said, throwing the keys to him, not stopping my walking pace.

He almost dropped them but didn’t. Demi got in the back as I was in the passenger seat and Joe took control in the drivers seat. Once I were out of the parking lot and a safe distance away from the church, I popped in one of my mix cd’s. The music I’ve been listening to lately hasn’t been exactly…church-approved-type music. I put on a good girl act for press but it doesn’t mean I have to listen to good girl music. I listen to the normal teenage stuff…songs about sex, drugs, alcohol. I pushed my back and ran my hand through it in frustration as I got comfortable. I loved driving…and if I wasn’t driving, I just loved being in a car, driving around. If I knew it wasn’t gas then I’d drive around aimlessly for hours just blasting music. As the intro played I started to tap my foot to the beat.

Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Even if the sky is falling down,
Down, down
Ooh (ohhh)


I heard Joe humming and Demi was whispering the words.

You oughta know, tonight is the night to let it go,
Put on a show, I wanna see how you lose control,
So leave it behind cause we have a night to get away
So come on and fly with me, as we make our great escape.


I smiled as I just thought about the lyrics and I don’t know what it was but something about the music behind the lyrics made me feel all jittery and hyper so I started to sing the words…Joe and Demi happily joined in.

So baby don't worry, you are my only,
You won't be lonely, even if the sky is falling down,
You'll be my only, no need to worry,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Even if the sky is falling down,

We had all gotten a little louder, putting some more emotion into the words not even caring if we sounded bad.

Just let it be, come on and bring your body next to me,
I'll take you away, hey, turn this place into our private getaway,
So leave it behind cause we have a night to get away
So come on and fly with me, as we make our great escape,
(So why don't we run away
)

Now we were all bouncing around, singing out the lyrics to the song loudly as the song was being blasted through my speakers.

So baby don't worry, you are my only,
You won't be lonely, even if the sky is falling down,
You'll be my only, no need to worry,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Even if the sky is falling down,


I have to admit it…no matter how much I mad at Nick….I thought about him through out this song. Joe started to rap it out. I was surprised he knew all the words. Demi and I clapped to the song as Joe kept it up, dancing and moving around in his seat and yet, he still was able to keep us on the road.

Even if the sky is falling down like she 'posed to be,
She gets down low for me,
Down like her temperature, cause to me she zero degrees,
She cold, over freeze,
I got that girl from overseas,
Now she my miss America,
Now can I be her soldier please,
I'm fighting for this girl,
On a battlefield of love,
Don't it look like baby cupid sendin arrows from above,
Don't you ever leave the side of me,
Indefinitely, not probably,
And honestly I'm down like the economy,
Yeahhhhhh


Demi and I cheered and we all joined in together to finish up the song as we were laughing in some parts.

So baby don't worry, you are my only,
You won't be lonely, even if the sky is falling down,
You'll be my only, no need to worry,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Baby are you down down down down down,
Down, Down,
Even if the sky is falling down


We were all laughing as we had gotten into the parking lot of a dinner nearby. I turned the radio off and we all got out and inside. We were brought to a table. The waiter took our orders, smiled genuinely at us and then walked off.

“So now…both of you…tell me what happened. From the song, to performing it, to the kiss…and then to the fight,” she ended, eyeing me.

Joe and I glanced at each other and then told her. Demi was our best friend…she was always there for us and I loved her for it. She was my sister and my other half and to Joe? They’re brother and sister…but I wouldn’t be shocked if they ended up together one day…
♠ ♠ ♠
<<333